SASS Wire Forum

Shotgun Belts

Texas Jack Black

Mernickle with the elastic canvas loops. Holds them firmly but they pop right out when you need them. I have one of the early ones that Bob made. It has 24 loops. Enough for any stage.

Sassy and I like ours by Doc Noper.  I still favor leather pairs for shotgun and couple of canvas loops on each end for extra rifle rounds.  Sassy prefers elastic loops.  

Mernickle and Kirkpatrick do make nice ones also.

I bought a used Doc Noper belt last year and like it a lot.  It has single loops which is fine because I shoot both SxS and '97.  For the SxS I just skip a loop between pairs.   Only minimal problem for me is that I sometimes lose a shell out of the loops during a stage while moving which never happened with my previous canvas belt.

16 hours ago, Sixgun Seamus said:

Mernickle with the elastic canvas loops. Holds them firmly but they pop right out when you need them. I have one of the early ones that Bob made. It has 24 loops. Enough for any stage.

Plus one on the Mernickle with elastic loops. 12 doubles=24 shots. That'll handle any scenario except maybe a kn farm.

I’m liking my Doc Noper with single elastic loops. I skip a loop between pairs. 

Doc is a great guy. 

This is a well timed thread.  My current shotgun belt is the only piece of original equipment I have left.  It's way too big for me at this point and no room for more holes.  My son has a Doc Noper belt we bought used and it's very nice.  OTH Dan at Murphy's comes highly recommended as well.  Does Doc have a website?  His FB page looks pretty old.

+1 on Doc Noper. I bought one in 2012 from him and am still using it. I also bought another from him just to have a backup. The SG beltsI has 6 pairs with 3 bullet loops. 

Kajun

26 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

This is a well timed thread.  My current shotgun belt is the only piece of original equipment I have left.  It's way too big for me at this point and no room for more holes.  My son has a Doc Noper belt we bought used and it's very nice.  OTH Dan at Murphy's comes highly recommended as well.  Does Doc have a website?  His FB page looks pretty old.

Doc does not have a website. Message him on FB. He will get back. Ordered mine Oct 17, received Oct 31. Pretty quick turn around! 

Couple added comments:

I have a very nice shotgun belt made by Aint Dunnit with canvas loops.  I often use it but favor the leather shotgun loops of the DN belts as loaded rounds seem easier to insert into loops of leather (yes, a very trivial point to most, but worth considering when choosing canvas.) .  Some canvas just not as stiff as others.  As to elastic for shotgun loops, I tried a Doc Noper with elastic loops but felt a little resistance in the pull.  The belt was very nice as one would expect from Doc, or any notable shotgun belt craftsman, and it is still in family circle.  However, I pull shells up in my retrieval so prefer the smoothness of leather in those loop pairs.  I think excellent speed with elastic would be more to advantage of shooter who prefers to roll/bend out rounds.  I choose canvas for cartridge loops due to brass corroding from leather loops. 

I believe most of the top leather craftsman mentioned in posts  have styles with curve (banana shape).  I find that design very favorable.  Your personal physic may dictate how much advantage it gives you.  That shape can often facilitate the belt to kick the shells more forward/outward so easier to see and grab.  This contour is nothing new as I had a excellent Brown (Rimrock) belt many years ago that had a noticeable curve.  I have had Kirkpatricks and JM Leather shotgun belts that have the curve, as does Doc Nopers and Aint Dunnits.  and, I certainly suspect Mernickle offers that.  If looking for belts I would certainly make a point to check if you favor a very straight belt or the presence of some curve.  Height shells are positioned is important also. 

I've tried the elastic loops and just can't stand them.  Not sure if it's my body shape or what, but everything time I bend over for something shells go everywhere.  I've tried multiple vendors with the same results.  I prefer the leather cups/loops in a double configuration.  Kirkpatrick leather made my last couple belts and I really like them.  

I think it's one of those things you have to try until you find one you like.  Just trying one on for a few minutes won't tell you much.  You need to shoot a few stages or a few matches with one to find what works best for you.  Luckily, the top name leather workers belts are easy to sell if you don't like them.

Good Luck!

Totes

when i wear one its leather as thats what i started with and still have - id love to get a web one but never felt the real need to invest as a slide has generally sufficed - i have a few of those , its what ive used for many years and ill continue unless the stage requires so many i cant compete without the added belt , 

ive always felt the second belt was an encumbrance i would rather do without if possible - we all have our preferences and im sure thats why you asked , or not , its just not my first choice for carrying shot shells unless necessary , i think it has to do with build and stature of the wearer - im not all that tall and slight so it becomes a burden 

Archived