SASS Wire Forum

Apple iPhone busted me

Trigger Mike

My wife has an iPhone and after a few years I also got one.  For years whenever I buy a gun I take a photo of the receipt and firearm just in case.  

now that I also have an iPhone every picture I take ends up on my wife’s phone.  She complained today she has numerous gun pictures and receipts on her phone now.  She says she doesn’t want those things on her phone.  I don’t know how to prevent it short of not buying guns anymore.

good thing I didn’t sneak a picture of her in the shower or something.

1 hour ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Turn off sync in your photo app.

Better yet- setup each phone on it's own icloud account.  You can continue backing up your pictures on the cloud and it won't be on her account.  You can still give her the control to track or lock your phone with separate accounts.

1 hour ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

I could not find Bingo in the app.

It's right there next to the Farmer app...

Can't remember the Farmers' his name, but I think he knows Old McDonald...

One of our favorite toy stores has a sign that says,  For $4.95 we can make a recipe to show your wife.

Son has bought several guns from us.  One he accumulated the cash from somewhere.   Took the gun home and told his wife I had given it to him.

7 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

One of our favorite toy stores has a sign that says,  For $4.95 we can make a recipe to show your wife.

Son has bought several guns from us.  One he accumulated the cash from somewhere.   Took the gun home and told his wife I had given it to him.

Isn't there a saying about someone's biggest fear is when he dies, his wife will sell his guns for what he said he paid for them? Fortunately, Mrs. Doc is smart enough to have them appraised. Also fortunately, I'll be dead, so she can't kill me.

Sawmill Mary is the money manager in our family.   She has paid for most of our guns and such.   A little bit different position, she has bought guns completely independent of my judgment.  This Sheriff's model.   I was looking at other things and she bought it.

682135035_UbertiSheriff44WCFOct2020.jpg.0511c4d330aa182f9d365af94c72214d.jpg

I always had a simple policy. I would ask if we could afford the gun. The family accountant wold give a yay or nay. And she’d let me know when it became a yay.

I never had to fib or conceal a purchase

I never hide mine either.  When we first got hitched if she balked I’d whimper with a sad puppy face she couldn’t resist and get to buy it.  Then she quit work to raise kids so I just decided on my own .  She never complains unless she wants some home renovations and I say we can’t afford it.  My children complain when I make them drink water at a restaurant and not soda.  

I tell them I can afford to buy things because I don’t waste money on drinks when water will do.

My PC.. I was using it to look at my trail cam cards.   Have several cameras.  One day the stupid PC said I had used up my free space on some cloud - now I had to pay.   I didn't even know I had a cloud. Stupid thing was uploading all my trail cam pictures without me knowing it.  Went out and deleted thousands of pictures off the cloud and turned off that feature.

30 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I always had a simple policy. I would ask if we could afford the gun. The family accountant wold give a yay or nay. And she’d let me know when it became a yay.

I never had to fib or conceal a purchase

In all honesty, same here. Mrs. Doc is aware of what I have, because I want her to know about them and how to use them if necessary. Also, since she knew about guns before our marriage and was the executor for her father's estate, which contained many of the guns I now own, and I've discussed gun values with her, she has a good knowledge about them. Trying to hide that from her would be sheer folly.

But that takes the fun out of the story.

Edit: It also helps that I have the cheap hobby in the family.

I bought a rifle years ago Nad took it home and my wife got I upset, I said I earn money and pay bills and don't get irresponsible with my money. If I earn money and spend my fun money the way I want

Wife had a bitlrthday and I took her shopping never balked at the bill and she said this is a lot more than you spent on that gun and I told her I want to spend my fun money  the way I want.

I was late to the shooting game other than bird hunting, and there were several shotguns  circulating between my dad and us 5 brothers down the years.

When I got interested in CAS and thereafter in other firearms, the kids were educated and the mortgage was paid, so either of us could buy stuff reasonably without the need to consult the other. My wife has always been the money manager, but the budgets weren't as tight after our mid-50s. I don't think either of us would go much higher than $1,500 or so without consulting the other, but the habits of a lifetime have made us both tightwads anyway, by nature.

11 minutes ago, Trigger Mike said:

how do I stop the sync?

I went into my settings to find the right selection for stopping the sync. Go to SETTINGS then scroll down to PHOTOS. Scroll down to SHARED LIBRARY. If that is set up it should show your wife’s phone. Before modifying that I recommend you go to your service provider and ask them to unsync them. You may lose photos if you don’t do this correctly. This is a guess on my part, but I would hate to see you or your wife lise photos. 

As an aside I now have over 27,000 photos stored on iCloud. My photos were synced with Google photos due to a family request for photo sharing. I found out the hard way that deleting photos on Google deleted them from my iPhone. Bastages! I am no longer synced with Google. 

7 hours ago, Trigger Mike said:

i'll go buy another one and see if it worked.  thanks

You shouldn’t have to get a new phone, just have the techs unsync them for you. 

We don't sync, but we do have Life 360 on each phone.
She can see when I'm at the gun shop;  I can see when she is the antique mall.

We are spending our children's inheritance, and enjoying every minute of the little time we have left together.
:D

Archived