SASS Wire Forum

Seeking videos of young/smaller-statured shooters using pump-action shotguns for training purposes

Flaco Joe

Pards, I have an unusual request…

I work for an agency of the USDA here in Alaska. My agency carries Remington 870 shotguns in the field for bear protection. I serve as one of the agency trainers for our staff, instructing them on both bear awareness and the safe handling and operation of a shotgun. As part of my responsibilities, I must maintain NRA instructor qualifications and instruct all of our field staff through annual firearms certification training. 

The thing is, the culture of our agency is changing and the young people who are being hired are often not gun-savvy. My generation co-workers grew up in rural communities where handling a shotgun was a typical part of farm and country life. But the people we are hiring today are largely from suburban or urban homes with little to no experience in rural settings. Many of them come to us never having held a gun, let alone fired one. So to start out on a 12 gauge is a bit daunting for some of them.

What I would like to have is a few short video clips of young or smaller-statured people shooting a Winchester 1897 in a CAS match. The smaller and lighter they are, the better. Perhaps there is a young man out there who barely stands taller than his rifle, but can really make a pump gun run? Or maybe there is a young lady who barely weighs 90 pounds soaking wet that uses a 12 ga ‘97 expertly?

My purpose is not to shame our new staff, but rather to show them that with training and practice how a shotgun can be managed by most anyone. I desire to teach them proper stance, recoil-management techniques, and confidence, and want video examples to give them confirmation. 

I seek short video clips of pump-action shotguns being used in cowboy matches. The videos should be clear and well-lit. Preferably, the video will not show faces such that the shooters are easily recognized. I can edit the clips as needed. The videos will be used for internal training only and will not be posted to any public location, nor will they be shared with other staff. Some slow motion shots would be good as well as full-speed videos.

I can provide my professional credentials and references upon request. Please ensure that you have permission to share whatever video you offer.

Please PM me if you are willing to share and I will provide my contact info.

Thanks,

Flaco Joe

Trail Boss

Alaska 49ers

2 hours ago, Flaco Joe said:

Pards, I have an unusual request…

I work for an agency of the USDA here in Alaska. My agency carries Remington 870 shotguns in the field for bear protection. I serve as one of the agency trainers for our staff, instructing them on both bear awareness and the safe handling and operation of a shotgun. As part of my responsibilities, I must maintain NRA instructor qualifications and instruct all of our field staff through annual firearms certification training. 

The thing is, the culture of our agency is changing and the young people who are being hired are often not gun-savvy. My generation co-workers grew up in rural communities where handling a shotgun was a typical part of farm and country life. But the people we are hiring today are largely from suburban or urban homes with little to no experience in rural settings. Many of them come to us never having held a gun, let alone fired one. So to start out on a 12 gauge is a bit daunting for some of them.

What I would like to have is a few short video clips of young or smaller-statured people shooting a Winchester 1897 in a CAS match. The smaller and lighter they are, the better. Perhaps there is a young man out there who barely stands taller than his rifle, but can really make a pump gun run? Or maybe there is a young lady who barely weighs 90 pounds soaking wet that uses a 12 ga ‘97 expertly?

My purpose is not to shame our new staff, but rather to show them that with training and practice how a shotgun can be managed by most anyone. I desire to teach them proper stance, recoil-management techniques, and confidence, and want video examples to give them confirmation. 

I seek short video clips of pump-action shotguns being used in cowboy matches. The videos should be clear and well-lit. Preferably, the video will not show faces such that the shooters are easily recognized. I can edit the clips as needed. The videos will be used for internal training only and will not be posted to any public location, nor will they be shared with other staff. Some slow motion shots would be good as well as full-speed videos.

I can provide my professional credentials and references upon request. Please ensure that you have permission to share whatever video you offer.

Please PM me if you are willing to share and I will provide my contact info.

Thanks,

Flaco Joe

Trail Boss

Alaska 49ers

SASS is not the platform for teaching shotgun handling for protection. It is a game with slicked up guns ,light loads  etc. Not even close to real life.

I get that just want to show them that a young person can handle a pump shotgun.  When they are overwhelmed watching these types of videow, just point out that their magazine will be loaded and all the have to do is pump and fire.

5 minutes ago, Texas Jack Black said:

SASS is not the platform for teaching shotgun handling for protection. It is a game with slicked up guns ,light loads  etc. Not even close to real life.

This is true but when someone who has never handled a shotgun is afraid to even shoot one because of what they have seen depicted in movies; it provides a real world demonstration that a 12 gauge can be handled by small statured people.

First you get them to try one with light target loads. Once their fear is overcome and their confidence is built up they can step up to heavier loads like the reduced recoil 00 buckshot loads.

4 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

To quote a famous movie "Dang that was fast."

@Widder, SASS #59054 ans @Red Knee  Looks like you guys have some serious competition.

Red Knee wants to be that fast when he grows up..... :lol:

..........Widder

Hey there Flaco Joe.  I understand the use of shotguns for bear protection, but a properly set up lever gun will do the job better, don't you think?  My bear defense rifle is a very compact .45-70 Govt Henry H024 side gate, with Skinner Alaskan rear ghost ring and the huge Bear Buster white front ramp.  I am always amazed at how quickly I can get off five extremely accurate shots with those sights -- they seem to magically point the gun themselves.  I practice with stout target ammo and sometimes Hornady's fast LEVERevolution 325gr FTX -- but only once in awhile do I practice with the actual ammo I load when going into the woods: HSM's Bear Load +P 430gr RNFP gas check.  The ME is a stunning 3098 ft-lbs.  That stuff just plain hurts my shoulder at the range, so I wear a very thick recoil pad under my jacket.  But I've been told more than once by folks who seem to know what they're talking about that no one notices recoil when shooting at a charging bear at close range -- something I hope I never find out for myself.  Given the choice, what would you carry -- a suitable .45-70 lever gun or that Rem 870?

4 hours ago, Nostrum Damus SASS #110702 said:

Hey there Flaco Joe.  I understand the use of shotguns for bear protection, but a properly set up lever gun will do the job better, don't you think?  My bear defense rifle is a very compact .45-70 Govt Henry H024 side gate, with Skinner Alaskan rear ghost ring and the huge Bear Buster white front ramp.  I am always amazed at how quickly I can get off five extremely accurate shots with those sights -- they seem to magically point the gun themselves.  I practice with stout target ammo and sometimes Hornady's fast LEVERevolution 325gr FTX -- but only once in awhile do I practice with the actual ammo I load when going into the woods: HSM's Bear Load +P 430gr RNFP gas check.  The ME is a stunning 3098 ft-lbs.  That stuff just plain hurts my shoulder at the range, so I wear a very thick recoil pad under my jacket.  But I've been told more than once by folks who seem to know what they're talking about that no one notices recoil when shooting at a charging bear at close range -- something I hope I never find out for myself.  Given the choice, what would you carry -- a suitable .45-70 lever gun or that Rem 870?

These are great points, and I prefer a .45-70 Marlin myself. But my agency settled on the Rem 870 as the tool of choice long ago, it is written into policy, and our whole program revolves around that platform, so I’m stuck with it. Changing policy is above my pay grade.

Don't forget to carry a nice little .22 pistol also.

When that 870 don't do the job, just shoot your partner in the knee with that .22

:lol:

P.S. - atleast one of you will still be around to tell everyone how BIG that bear was.

..........Widder

Archived