SASS Wire Forum

Favorite load

Judge Gardner

What is your favorite load for a Winchester Miroku  1886 in 45-70?  Just out shopping to see what others are using.

22 grains of  XMP 5744 with a 405 grain bullet

Depends on what power level your looking for and the .45/70 can be loaded from pretty light to bear defense loads.  I too have had good luck with XMP 5744 in this cartridge and the 22 grain, 405 grain pill load mentioned above should be very good.  I also use Unique in the .45/70 to make some lighter loads with about 14 grains under a 320 grain pill, real easy on the shoulder and I've shot it accurately out to 300 yards.  I have also used IMR 3030 and made some mule kick loads with it, but I have little use for that type load anymore.  Trail Boss makes a decent mild load as well, but is currently out of production and probably not available.  Anyway, to try to answer the original question, my favorite 45/70 load would probably be the Unique load with either the 320 grain or the 405 grain pill.  Good luck and good shooting to all.  

14.2 Unique with a 330 to 405 Bullet will work really well. Accurate load & Easy on the shoulder! 

I use 24grn of Shooters World Buffalo powder under a 300grn bullet.  When working up the load I compared to similar loads of 5744 and Unique at the same fps and the Bufallo powder had a softer felt recoil and great results.  I'm sticking with it (it's a bit cheaper too).

Totes

• 2 weeks later...

RCBS 405 fn gas checked with 40 grains of 3031. Won a lot of side matches with this load in my Browning 1886

Archived