SASS Wire Forum

Vaquero vs Schofield fit in holster

Mezcal Charlie

If I remember I’ll take a picture tomorrow of how far a Schofield goes into an OMV holster, but as I recall (like Boulder Canyon said) it doesn’t fit at all.

Schofields will need new holsters made to fit them. They are wider in the frame than a SAA requiring a wider opening in the holster and without an ejector housing, the lower end of the holster is narrower. Both aspects required for a good fit to secure the gun.

Howdy Charlie,

I don't think there is an absolute here. I have a pair of Schofields that I got with holsters. Obviously they fit well. I have another Schofield that I use in a rig that handles the Schofield, an Open Top, or a Remington NMA Conversion. The rig was probably designed for 7 1/2 73's. I'd suggest that you try the Schofield in the holsters you have. Having a holster designed for the individual sixgun is ideal, but having the flexibility to switch sixguns is handy and maybe a savings. Of course, If you have the cash and the time to wait, by all means get a holster fitted to your shooter. 

By the way, a holster maker buddy of mine taught me to keep pill bottles that approximate the diameter of the sixgun's cylinder in the holsters when not in use. Works well for me.

Rev. Chase

The Army Pattern 1881 Third Type had a body that would accomodate both the Colt's SAA and the Schofield (with the full flap having two holes for the stud finial.  Therefore, a civilian-style holster with a similar body would do the same.  The Ruger OMV's, however, require a slightly larger body than for a Colt's SAA, so the Schofield might fit a tad looser. Depends a bit on whether the Schofield copy is a Uberti-made or S&W 2000 (which has a shorter frame than both the original and the replicas.  Either way, I have patterns that would work.

4 hours ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

Al:

Who  is the maker of your Schofield holster?  I need a pair.

Gracias!

LL

Young man named Joseph Kienholz. He works under the name “Yesteryear Leather”. He is a CAS shooter and he sells through Facebook and Instagram. If you don’t use either of those, I can probably come up with an email for you. I have half a dozen of his holsters now, both cowboy and other, and I can very much attest to the quality of his work.

im not the one that should respond - i rid myself of all three of my schofields  years ago , but i did note that they were not well suited to any of my holsters for my 1873s , i had so many issues with my revolvers i never invested in the holsters for them 

Archived