SASS Wire Forum

Small Space Gun Cart

Creeker, SASS #43022

I recently purchased a Corvette - this car is NOT designed for cowboy shooters in mind.

And my usual gun carts (that were built to fit pickup trucks and SUVs) will in no way, shape or form fit into the trunk - especially with the trunk barrier in place to allow the top to go down.

So like every red blooded American; when in doubt - start walking the aisles at Home Depot, Lowes and Harbor Freight looking for inspiration.

This is what I found.

58298_W3.jpg

150 lb. Capacity Foldable Hand Truck (harborfreight.com)

This dolly folds up completely flat - wheels even flip over inline with the frame.

A plastic tool box divider placed on the support base works to hold the buttstocks.

6 Compartment Drawer Organizer

6 Compartment Drawer Organizer (harborfreight.com)

On top of this - I added a bag for ammo and accessories.

I bought a stiff sided bag for ammo/ accessories (but an ammo can would work as well) - this is placed lengthwise to obscure the middle two divider spaces and once secured serves to hold the divider to the cart (cheap bungy cord keeps it in place - pulled down tightly onto the divider and support)

16 in. Tool Bag with 6 Pockets

16 in. Tool Bag with 6 Pockets (harborfreight.com)

A couple more bungy straps to hold guns in place and I have a 4 gun cart that will fold up and fit in the trunk of my Corvette (and will likely fit in most cars with limited cargo area)

48 in. Carabiner Bungee Cord

48 in. Carabiner Bungee Cord (harborfreight.com)

I bought the Carbineer style cords so they could not slip off the dolly - but even these are cheap at $3/ $4 a piece - I used three - one 48 inch and two 24 inchers..

AND all this can be purchased and put into use for about $70.00 

I have not used this at a match yet - but it pulls nicely on my downstairs tile floor. 

I will update as soon as I have drug it around a range.

Hopefully this will allow me to attend some shoots in my new toy with the top down and the tunes up.

42 minutes ago, SHOOTIN FOX said:

The only issue I see is the small wheels on rough terrain. Hope all works for you.

Trust me - I am concerned about that as well. 

But hopefully this will work at least somewhat and I know a lot of ranges are paved or hardpacked.

Worse comes to worse - Im out a few bucks.

I have a cart very much like that for work. It has held up well considering the abuse I have heaped on it. The only issue after about five years, the wheel splay out a little. I assume it should be fine for the loads you will be using, but it is a pain in gravel.

28 minutes ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

So I'm curious, what sort of space gun will you be carrying on this small cart?

:)

Duh...

a SMALL space gun.

Think Marvin the Martian

Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator.  :D

1 hour ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

Duh...

a SMALL space gun.

Think Marvin the Martian

Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator.  :D

Cool!  I was looking at one of those on Raygunbroker, but it was too rich for my blood.

Mine is small enough to not need a cart, just need a holster.

ray gun 2.jpg

I used a regular metal hand truck. I attached a piece of wood at the top with dowel peg dividers between the barrels of the long guns. I made a framework at the bottom with a small box for the buttstocks. I had to elevate the one for the coachgun to allow it to be broken open. I put a couple of brass hooks on the back of the top board and used canvas rice bags to hold accessories. Worked till I eventually bought a typical wood cart.

Several years ago I took the measurements off a pards cart, I think it was from Off The Wall Carts and called the Jack Rabbit. I made a few changes and once disassembled I can get it in the trunk of my Goldwing trike. It comes apart and goes back together pretty easy.

Closest thing I've got to small space guns are a Beretta CX4 Storm, a Remington XP-100, and an MBA Gyrojet. B)

Some 25-30 years ago, I had a '72 and a '76 Corvette - just like CAS, ya gotta have a backup, doncha know. ;)

25 minutes ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

Some 25-30 years ago, I had a '72 and a '76 Corvette - just like CAS, ya gotta have a backup, doncha know. ;)

My Dad and I built Corvettes for a few years while I was growing up. 

So I have always had a soft spot in my heart (head?) for the car.

I have had a 1963 convertible, 69 427 car, 72, 76 and an 84 prior to the current toy (2008).

It had been nearly 20 years since my last Corvette and it feels good to have one back in the family.

I am seriously debating if I can swing the payment - but an order and deposit on a 23 or 24 is looking more likely everyday.  

On 11/29/2022 at 8:49 AM, Lassy LaRock said:

Same hand truck, ready for CAS.

I like the pistol holsters! I just hung two pistol holders to my rugged gear cart using an extra set of holsters and double wire safety pins - the type used to secure trailer levers. They work great!Zoro Select Safety Pin, Dbl Wire Snap, 5/16 In U39683.031.0250

Archived