SASS Wire Forum

Unclear On The Concept

Subdeacon Joe

12 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

You can drive 'em just fine-- if you don't need them to hold and you don't mind splitting wood.

4 hours ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

...... that screw-y bit is just there to help get it out later on ........  :mellow:

...... that is actually what I was taught, as an apprentice, by linesmen at our local power supply authority .........

'Strue

-_-

I believe that’s a carriage bolt, not a lag. Of course you use a hammer. But you need to drill a hole first. :lol:

9 hours ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

...... that is actually what I was taught, as an apprentice, by linesmen at our local power supply authority .........

'Strue

-_-

When I worked for the phone company, we had large lags with a nail type starter. They were designed to be put into a pole with a hammer. The threads were a wedge shape, making them able to be hammered in and removed with a wrench.

1 hour ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I believe that’s a carriage bolt, not a lag. Of course you use a hammer. But you need to drill a hole first. :lol:

I think it's a stove bolt.

A carriage bolt has a square shank just below the head. The threaded shaft would go through the hole, and the nut tightening down would pull the square shank into the hole, which would prevent the bolt from turning.

I don't think you could use a washer on a bolt like that. At least, I've never seen a washer with a square hole. But there's obviously a washer on that bolt he's trying to drive. And a stove bolt has a round shaft all the way up to the head.

stove-bolt-250x250.jpg

I was thinking carriage bolt, but the pic is too blurry when enlarged to tell for sure. I've seen people put washers on carriage bolts to keep the head from pulling in too much, it sorta works, just not much of the square bites.

1 hour ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Looks to me like his biggest problem is that he didn't bring enough hammer.

Few problems cannot be solved with the application of a big enough hammer.

if-you-cant-fix-it-with-a-hammer-eitsbec

Forgot to add that his technique and most especially his aim needs a lot of improvement

Archived