SASS Wire Forum

Gun engraving Resources?

Robin Trains SASS 80595

Howdy Pards,

I am looking around for galleries, resources and examples of vintage and modern gun engraving.

Essentially I'm embarking on having my primary side irons beautified - and thought to do some research before settling on a pattern/style.

I recon others might like a tour of similar artistry. If you have any links . . . I'd be mighty appreciative!

Cheers,
~Robin Trains!

SASS member Aspen Filly is on facebook. You can see examples of what she does there.

Eddie Viola has examples of his work on his company's Facebook page - Smoke Wagon Engraving.

I am anti-facebook, but there are some good examples from a variety of artists on Facebook - Scratched Guns and Pretty Grips. Lots of different guns as well.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/149511707150006/

10 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

He is the best, a good guy to deal with. He's also the president of our SASS club.

His SASS alias is  'Scratch' :lol:

I've had the privilege of holding some of his work. Absolutely beautiful!

1 hour ago, SGT. ELI 35882 GUNFIGHTER said:

Look for a book called steel canvas to look at original period style engraving. 

Looks like a good find for $8 used on Amazon.

3 "were" available at that price, now the next one available is almost $9.00.

1 hour ago, SGT. ELI 35882 GUNFIGHTER said:

Thanks!  I had heard of that book but forgot about it.  Just ordered a used one on ebay for $7 and free shipping. :)

Sam Cherry trained in Italy and does two-level work.  She can be found at cherrys.com, lives near Greensboro, NC.

I want just some simple engraving.  Thegunengraver.com did my Ruger grip frames while I waited for a very reasonable price.  Simple scroll with no backfilling.

I got a Polish Capper case for my ROAs and turned Jim Downing loose. He was working on the 1911 and the rifle when I picked up my case. The pictures speak for themselves.

22808459-EFEE-49C4-BB4A-88CA3BFDDA3D.jpeg

2D4D743D-7122-4863-B99F-A74D868D0CA0.jpeg

16 hours ago, SGT. ELI 35882 GUNFIGHTER said:

Just picked up a copy, thanks for the pointer!

I am also discovering that looking through old issues of Rock Island Auction catalogs is a darned good way to see different styles of engraving!

8 minutes ago, Totes Magoats said:

Here are mine that Eddie Viola did for me at Smokewagon Engraving.

TotesNMV.jpg

Those are sweet

I tasked @Aspen Filly 50535 with some outrageous "modern" ideas and she delivered in spades!  This was meant to be an esoteric gun, she also does beautiful, more traditional engraving.  There's more on her Facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100057558515834

20221007_132725.jpg

20221007_132715.jpg

20221007_132703.jpg

20221007_132818.jpg

20221007_132832.jpg

20221007_132823.jpg

20221007_132841.jpg

20221007_132856.jpg

1 hour ago, Fireball #7709 Life said:

I tasked @Aspen Filly 50535 with some outrageous "modern" ideas and she delivered in spades!  This was meant to be an esoteric gun, she also does beautiful, more traditional engraving.  There's more on her Facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100057558515834

20221007_132725.jpg

20221007_132715.jpg

20221007_132703.jpg

20221007_132818.jpg

20221007_132832.jpg

20221007_132823.jpg

20221007_132841.jpg

20221007_132856.jpg

She does beautiful work!

3 hours ago, PrairieDogPete said:

I was looking at an engraver's website earlier and found this one... Firearm Engravers Guild Home Page (fega.com)  There is some beautiful work on there and a list of some engravers.

Master engraver Terry Theis is on that list.  He is near Fredericksburg, TX and does some engraving for Cimarron.  He did Bronco Birnbaum's opentops :

BroncosGuns2.jpg

On 11/28/2022 at 4:59 PM, SGT. ELI 35882 GUNFIGHTER said:

On 11/28/2022 at 6:24 PM, Itchy Trigger said:

Looks like a good find for $8 used on Amazon.

3 "were" available at that price, now the next one available is almost $9.00.

On 11/28/2022 at 6:58 PM, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Thanks!  I had heard of that book but forgot about it.  Just ordered a used one on ebay for $7 and free shipping. :)

Got yours yet, Itchy?  Mine came today (from a Goodwill in Washington) in near perfect condition.  384 pages of exquisiteness.  Thanks again for the suggestion Sgt Eli, an excellent (and cheap!) early Christmas present for moi. :)

IMG_9179.JPG

If you are a history buff, the more you look at and study Colt engraving (if you are engraving a Colt or a SAA style gun and tradition matters to you) the happier you will be with the engraver you choose.   Let your own eye (tastes) tell you what you like.  Find an engraver that matches the style you prefer.

The more you know about engraving, the better value you'll get long term from your engraving $.   Over the last 40 years I have had dozens of guns engraved for myself and customers.  Guns I thought were exceptional early on in that journey I wouldn't care to own today.   As much as the engraver's skill is important, the way the engraver conducts their business is even more important to me today.    How deposits are handled, realistic lead times and sticking to promised delivery times are important considerations.

Below?  Look for yourself at the engraving and the amount of coverage on these guns.  Similar for engraving $s on all of them.   Gold inlays, the final finish and grips will add to the price.  All of these guns are traditional Colt Master engraver's patterns but one.  

Try a goggle image search for "Cuno Helfricht engraving".  Helfricht was just one of the 4 or 5 earlier Colt master engravers in the past.  There were others and new modern masters developing their own styles.

R. L. Wilson's, two volume, "The Colt Engraving book", is a must have IMO.

John Adams Sr.'s engraving.

DSC01474.JPG

Jim Downing's engraving

DSC02232.JPG

Jerome Harper's engraving.

image.jpeg

Two more engraver's work.  Derrick Smalley's on top.  John Adam Jr.'s on the bottom.

DSC02246.JPG

Phil Quigley's work.

image.thumb.jpeg.31a5ad15d37389c1eac8f1147dbafdca.jpeg

17 hours ago, levi littleton said:

IMG_9179.JPG

If you are a history buff, the more you look at and study Colt engraving (if you are engraving a Colt or a SAA style gun and tradition matters to you) the happier you will be with the engraver you choose.   Let your own eye (tastes) tell you what you like.  Find an engraver that matches the style you prefer.

The more you know about engraving, the better value you'll get long term from your engraving $.   Over the last 40 years I have had dozens of guns engraved for myself and customers.  Guns I thought were exceptional early on in that journey I wouldn't care to own today.   As much as the engraver's skill is important, the way the engraver conducts their business is even more important to me today.    How deposits are handled, realistic lead times and sticking to promised delivery times are important considerations.

Below?  Look for yourself at the engraving and the amount of coverage on these guns.  Similar for engraving $s on all of them.   Gold inlays, the final finish and grips will add to the price.  All of these guns are traditional Colt Master engraver's patterns but one.  

Try a goggle image search for "Cuno Helfricht engraving".  Helfricht was just one of the 4 or 5 earlier Colt master engravers in the past.  There were others and new modern masters developing their own styles.

R. L. Wilson's, two volume, "The Colt Engraving book", is a must have IMO.

John Adams Sr.'s engraving.

DSC01474.JPG

Jim Downing's engraving

DSC02232.JPG

Jerome Harper's engraving.

image.jpeg

Two more engraver's work.  Derrick Smalley's on top.  John Adam Jr.'s on the bottom.

DSC02246.JPG

Phil Quigley's work.

image.thumb.jpeg.31a5ad15d37389c1eac8f1147dbafdca.jpeg

Derrick Smalley's did my pistols and the wife's. Good guy to deal with!

Archived