SASS Wire Forum

**New to 12ga reloading** 00 buck only

Birdley123

I have read that some suggest just using 7 1/2 shot for home defense.  00buck can possibly shoot thru walls.  At home distances a trap load is devastating.

Also, 00buck most likely will penetrate thru a body, trap load with 7 1/2  not as likely to.

I can’t help with a load as I only load light loads for CAS but I would recommend buying factory loads for home defense. If you have to use it a gung ho prosecutor could use that against you. “You weren’t satisfied with available ammunition so you had to load your own KILLER shells?”  I’ve been able to get 00 Buck at a good price, just watch for sales.

JMHO

Randy 

A gung ho prosecutor will try to blame everything on you. He could just as easily say using a killer 12 ga. Use factory or load your own. If its a good shoot it isn't going to matter.

45 minutes ago, Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 said:

I can’t help with a load as I only load light loads for CAS but I would recommend buying factory loads for home defense. If you have to use it a gung ho prosecutor could use that against you. “You weren’t satisfied with available ammunition so you had to load your own KILLER shells?”  I’ve been able to get 00 Buck at a good price, just watch for sales.

JMHO

Randy 

I have heard this reasoning for using factory ammo several times.  Don't know how true it is, but I heard although this has been repeated often, there is no known case of a prosecutor going after someone for their hand loaded ammo.

But, why chance it. We aren't criminals, so will likely get hung for any little thing they can find. And God help ya if the perp lives.:ph34r: Always remember, it's the "criminal justice" system, not the victims.

14 minutes ago, Slapshot said:

A gung ho prosecutor will try to blame everything on you. He could just as easily say using a killer 12 ga. Use factory or load your own. If its a good shoot it isn't going to matter.

7 minutes ago, Jeb Stuart #65654 said:

I have heard this reasoning for using factory ammo several times.  Don't know how true it is, but I heard although this has been repeated often, there is no known case of a prosecutor going after someone for their hand loaded ammo.

In this day and age no more than a box of 00 Buck cost I'll buy mine but to each his own and good luck.

Randy

5 minutes ago, Birdley123 said:

While these replies make sense , I do plan on going to the range and shooting some targets for fun or to a farm… I’m not only wanting to reload for my home’s defense. Hopefully that makes sense 

Check out FortuneCookie45LC on YouTube. He does a lot with 12-guage reloading.

If it won't go through drywall how do you expect it to stop a threat?

#4 buck is as low as I'd go.  If you would t shoot a deer with it probably won't drop a human

38 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Use factory birdshot loads.

Never use reloads for 2 legged SD.

Birdshot? For a more than likely armed 2 legged intruder? No thanks, I want something that will stop the threat with a high level of finality 

16 minutes ago, Birdley123 said:

Birdshot? For a more than likely armed 2 legged intruder? No thanks, I want something that will stop the threat with a high level of finality 

As a former LEO, I've seen what it does within a room. Instant DOA.

Plus, you don't put others at risk from over penetration. 

7 hours ago, Birdley123 said:

Hi there, I’m not new to reloading but am new to shotshell reloading.

As such I’m looking for hulls/wad combos suitable for 00buck (home defense)

Any info will be much appreciated !

thanks,

birdley

Get ahold of a Lyman shotgun reloading manual. You'll get more info than you thought you needed! 

I've loaded some #4 buckshot shells based on the Lyman book using hulls that I deemed to be not good enough for CAS loads using IMR 700-X.

7 hours ago, Jeb Stuart #65654 said:

I was surprised that the sniper’s from the local police swat team used factory loads.

I was told that each bullet fired had a little lawyer riding on it and any inaccuracies from factory ammo was.easily made up in potential courtroom headaches that “police-made” ammo would create.

8 hours ago, Birdley123 said:

A thought for the discussion…

Have you ever patterned a 1-1/8oz load of 7.5 shot at a 10’ distance?  

You basically have 492 grains of pure lead at 1000+fps that has pre-expanded to about 1.5” diameter as it hits the target and starts doing damage.

Compare that to a 45ACP throwing 230 grain at 850-ish fps.  It hits with a .45” sized hole and you hope it expands some before exiting.

It’s your house, and 00 buck will certainly do the job, but I wouldn’t write off a good ol’ trap load for home defense.  

15 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

But, why chance it. We aren't criminals, so will likely get hung for any little thing they can find. And God help ya if the perp lives.:ph34r: Always remember, it's the "criminal justice" system, not the victims.

Why then are you chancing even shooting them?

15 hours ago, Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 said:

In this day and age no more than a box of 00 Buck cost I'll buy mine but to each his own and good luck.

Randy

I don't live my life in fear of what if.

I weighed out 9 - 00 buck pellets and then referred to my reloading guide on powder charge for appropriate weight shot charge.  Stacked the 9 pellets in a regular shot cup and crimped it closed.  I did get better crimps if I used an overshot card, and it didn't seem to negatively affect the patterns.

I chose to do this back in the depths of COVID, as there were no buckshot loads to be had back then.  Since then I've laid in a sufficient stock of factory loads for intended uses.

17 hours ago, Texas Joker said:

If it won't go through drywall how do you expect it to stop a threat?

#4 buck is as low as I'd go.  If you would t shoot a deer with it probably won't drop a human

Smaller pellets lose their energy faster, so by the time they go thru two sheets of drywall, insulation, and maybe external shooting they are going to be spent.  Those items won't do much to slow down a large pellet.  Just think about the light loads we use in cowboy and how well they flatten metal targets at 15 feet, don't you think they would also have a devastating effect on a human?

12 minutes ago, Jeb Stuart #65654 said:

Smaller pellets lose their energy faster, so by the time they go thru two sheets of drywall, insulation, and maybe external shooting they are going to be spent.  Those items won't do much to slow down a large pellet.  Just think about the light loads we use in cowboy and how well they flatten metal targets at 15 feet, don't you think they would also have a devastating effect on a human?

No I don't think they will. Been documented over the years that birdshot is a poor man stopper. 

In close contact a blank will drop a human as well as a .177 co2 driven pellet.

I don't plan on using either as my prefferred home defense round.

Look up the box o truth. Birdshot is for birds.

Know your fire zones, know what's beyond your target. Bring enough gun. if you are shooting at people you've already brought lethal force to the equation, why use something on purpose that MIGHT stop the threat.

If you wouldn't ethically shoot a deer with for a quick kill why count on it to protect your domicile and family?

20 minutes ago, Texas Joker said:

Know your fire zones, know what's beyond your target. Bring enough gun. if you are shooting at people you've already brought lethal force to the equation, why use something on purpose that MIGHT stop the threat.

If you wouldn't ethically shoot a deer with for a quick kill why count on it to protect your domicile and family?

…well said 

45 minutes ago, Texas Joker said:

I don't shoot deer at 20 feet, but that would be my longest shot in my home.  Cowboys shooting a stage often forget or get rattled when the buzzer goes off, an armed person in your home, you're trying to protect your family and you're going to be calm enough to think about your fire zones? Sometimes it's a little hard to get the intruder to move to a safe position so you can shoot.  I think I would use the same principle on and intruder as I do shotgun targets, shoot till their down.

26 minutes ago, Birdley123 said:

…anyone???

Buy some factory Win AA and/or Rem STS, shoot ‘em, save the hulls. Unless you’re planning for an apocalypse, you won’t need many for buckshot loads. 

I go bucket diving after a match for once-fired hulls. AAs are more common than STS. 

46 minutes ago, Birdley123 said:

…anyone???

BPI or grab at a range. There's always a bunch thrown out at matches as well. 

https://www.ballisticproducts.com/Federal-Top-Gun-12ga-2-3_4-once-fired-color-mixed-bag_100/productinfo/FED1FTGM/

They have others, this was the first that showed in stock.

I get my Rem. STI hulls from them when in stock. 

6 hours ago, Jeb Stuart #65654 said:

I don't shoot deer at 20 feet, but that would be my longest shot in my home.  Cowboys shooting a stage often forget or get rattled when the buzzer goes off, an armed person in your home, you're trying to protect your family and you're going to be calm enough to think about your fire zones? Sometimes it's a little hard to get the intruder to move to a safe position so you can shoot.  I think I would use the same principle on and intruder as I do shotgun targets, shoot till their down.

Better have lots of birdshot then, LOL.

Archived