SASS Wire Forum

Side match idea

Hoss

I know, at least in my part of the world, a lot of sass cowboys also conceal carry most of the time.  Got me to thinking that might be a fun side match. Would have to shoot lead only, and on shooters honor would have to be their normal carry gun. (I’m sure somebody would show up with a tricked-out Parrot 
Or something, but still would be fun!)

Most of us probably don’t practice as much as we should with our EDC! 

At the range today I shot my regular carry gun, a Kimber K6 3” barrel, 357 magnum. DA only.  I normally load it with factory 357 defensive rounds. 
 I was shooting my sass rifle load, in 38sp. I was able to hit 6 on the pistol targets as fast as I could pull the trigger. Had to slow down a bit on the rifle targets, but not much. Then shot our plainsman targets 16x16 at about 40 yds. Was able to hit them with slower deliberate fire. 

for a side match I’d put 3 on a rifle target  and then 2 on pistol target, to simulate bad guy closing in. Fastest clean time wins. 

any thoughts? 

I ccw hot w/one in the chamber.  I doubt we’d let that happen.  It would be a departure from wild bunch rules for shooting the semi-autos.  Could use steel challenge rules for holsters.  This is a fun idea. I’d like to see it get some traction.  Or even set up some Steel Challenge stages.

Personally I think Wild Bunch is as much of a departure from traditional CAS that should be done. There are other venues for that type of thing. 

Lead ammo would be hard to find in certain calibers so unless you reload for your CCW you’re out of luck! 
I vote no!

AR500 targets or steel of roughly the same hardness should handle any pistol round as long as it isn't steel core or armor piercing, not that I would expect anybody to use such ammo.

If there is enough interest, schedule it for another day or perhaps after the regular monthly cowboy shoot is over.  I would not recommend doing this for an annual match.

SASS came about when some guys shot an IDPA match with Ruger Blackhawks, Colt Single Actions, and lever guns. 

Sounds like you want to reinvent IDPA by reversing the process. 

Have fun at your local club, but I don’t see this catching on. 

Thanks for the responses. I hadn’t really thought thru the semi-auto with one in the chamber as I’m a revolver guy about 99% of the time. I do occasionally carry a Sig P238 in a pocket holster in pocket, mostly when can’t leave shirt untucked. 
anyways, just an idea I had. 

I like the idea, but I know it won’t fly. Too many variables. 

I can see it now…

(Queue wavy lines like in Gilligan’s Island)

Cowboys and Cowgirls discussing this new competition at the “SD Carry Gun Side Match”.

”My gun won’t shoot lead.”

”My gun holds 17 rounds, why are we shooting 5?”

“We need to segregate revolvers and semiautomatics!”

”Hey, you can’t use an AR pistol!”

”I am complaining to the MD. That guy’s shooting mouse fart loads to get an edge!”

”Mister, your ammo is gonna damage that plate. It’s too hot. You’ll need to pay if it does.”

”Nobody told me we didn’t need to wear Cowboy clothes to shoot this. Why does he get to wear sneakers?”

”I don’t agree with appendix carry. We need to ban that!”

”That’s how I carry!”

”Too bad. Put it in the table.”

“Why do I have to put my gun on a table? I won’t have a table with me when I am attacked on the street!”

”Pocket carry should be banned. The RO can’t see the gun and how do we know he hasn’t got his finger on the trigger to gain an edge!”

”Put it on the table.”

“That guy put his shirt behind his gun as he walked up to the table. I didn’t do that. I should get a re-do”

And on, and on, and on…

My EDCs (4 guns I may choose for various reasons) only get fed well-qualified reliable ammo. FMJ or hollow points. I won't risk putting anything else in it that could in any way impact reliability.

But I do have other EDC capable guns I do not EDC... So I could participate in theory but not within the spirit as outlined.

On the flip side, I do plan to shoot my SASS rifles and revolvers at Steel Challenge matches; this is specifically called out in Steel Challenge rules, proper attire encouraged. Check with your local match manager first as reloads are slow and recovering brass is not common. The manager at one local range told me we could make it work.

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I like the idea, but I know it won’t fly. Too many variables. 

Side matches I have been to have been far more relaxed and enjoyable than yours apparently are!

I like the idea of having side matches that are fun, IDPA "competitions" are cutthroat (at least around here) and not necessarily fun.

Not sure if it belongs at a CAS shoot or not, but far too many people EDC without practicing because their local indoor (and often outdoor) range won't allow drawing from a holster.

3 hours ago, Itchy Trigger said:

Side matches I have been to have been far more relaxed and enjoyable than yours apparently are!

I like the idea of having side matches that are fun, IDPA "competitions" are cutthroat (at least around here) and not necessarily fun.

Not sure if it belongs at a CAS shoot or not, but far too many people EDC without practicing because their local indoor (and often outdoor) range won't allow drawing from a holster.

I am talking in general in regards to anything done in SASS these days. Be thankful you have a fun club. 

9 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Since it's a side match, sure why not?   The more variations of different stuff, the merrier.

My normal pistol for this type use is a Colt Mustang .380 that I shove in pocket holster in, well, my pocket.

My e.d.c. pistol is either a Colt Mk. VIII .380 Government Model or a "new to me" 1057 vintage Colt Detective Special.  When the weather turns really nasty I lean towards a .45 acp 1911 (a customized Rock Island Arsenal piece.

Bullet velocities would also need to be reduced to or near SASS specs, unless the club can afford steel target plate flattening and reconditioning.  

I commonly shoot factory 9mm loads at my own AR500 12"x12" targets.  The 1400+ fps 125-gn bullet impacts quickly bow the 3/8" thick plates. 

Due to practically no lead ammo for 9mm, .380, 40 cal and .45 you could always use paper targets !

17 hours ago, Doc Huckleberry said:

I’d be up for it but my cc is an M&P Shield in .40.  Dunno if there’s any pure lead fo that.  

although there’s a cute little lavender anodized Charter Arms snubbie in the safe that could use some exercise.   

Sure there is.

Pard, you're asking for one of the side matches put on by IDPA.  It already exists, so let's keep SASS cowboy. 

On another note, this isn't much different than the SASS side match for pocket pistols.  This one is cowboy!  Let's let SASS be cowboy and IDPA be modern.

3 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

My e.d.c. pistol is either a Colt Mk. VIII .380 Government Model or a "new to me" 1057 vintage Colt Detective Special.  When the weather turns really nasty I lean towards a .45 acp 1911 (a customized Rock Island Arsenal piece.

Ah yes.   I do have a Detective Special snubby in .38 S&W.   I've used it as a "pocket pistol" at Zoot Shoot matches.   Surprisingly accurate little bugger.   If this was limited to revolvers, that's what I'd use.

Keep S.A.S.S. cowboy, that's all I gotta say :excl:

Archived