SASS Wire Forum

Traveling to Europe

Waimea

Howdy

Looking for info from pards that have travelled to Europe (specifically France) with their guns and shot a match there.

What were your experiences:

1. flying there

2. getting into the country with guns and ammo.

3. Securing firearms when you were not shooting like at your residence there 

4. Flying back 

5. Getting back into the country with firearms.

Thinking about it.

4 minutes ago, Dogmeat Dad, SASS #48563L said:

Sacre' Bleu!

Been nice knowing you!

Say hello to Inspector Clouseau!

8dwbeg3rsyv61.jpg

Haha!

Just traveling, not moving.:lol:

You can get a certificate from Customs showing you possessed your firearms in the US before you left.  This will prevent them from trying to collect duties on them when you return.

Added note: the form number is 4457

1 minute ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Maybe @Equanimous Phil can shed some light.

I'm afraid, I'm not of much help as I haven't been shooting in France yet and don't know a French cowboy action shooter. I can only share some info about what I have to do and think of when crossing border to Germany (Switzerland is not part of the European Union). I would highly recommend to directly ask the French host club for guidance, or maybe another US shooting federation who regularly compete at French matches (IPSC, IDPA etc) can help.

Please make sure that all info you'll get is up-to-date as gun laws in Europe change constantly.

I tried to google the regulations for France (one result) and searched on https://www.douane.gouv.fr/ , but it seems to be complicated... Actually, one should find the info on this site (Import of war materials and arms, ammunition and their components from a country outside the EU). Site is in French only, but Google Translate works well.

From my experience while travelling to Germany:

• Basically, there are always two aspects: Customs and firearms law. Gather information on both. The police may not care if you get your guns out of the country without a custom fee, and the customs authority may not care about your legal gun ownership.
  • As @Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 mentioned, get a document from Customs that lists your firearms. Show it to French Customs as they may verify it. (I have a "European Firearms Pass / Europäischer Feuerwaffenpass", but this is only available for "Schengen Area")
  • You need a "cause" to transport firearms. So, carry a starting list with your name on it, invitation etc., including round count.
  • All firearms must be unloaded and locked in a container when transported on public ground, also in your personal car. Germany: The authority may ask you about guns. You can (don't know if you have to) show the guns, meaning you just open the container, but under no circumstances you will touch any gun as you're not allowed to handle a gun in public. The officer may touch it to check serial numbers etc.
  • Only transport ammo that matches your guns. Only transport a reasonable amount of rounds for the intended event.

Good luck, Equanimous Phil

8 minutes ago, Sacramento Johnson #6873 said:

I would add, don't bring anything you would really mind losing. There is always a chance something will go wrong...

Thought about that.

$5000 worth of firearms.:blink:

18 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

If they call a Quarter Pounder with Cheese a Royal with Cheese in France...I wonder what they call a revolver in .38 special.:huh:

Trente-Huit Spécial

Waimea, I'd advise against you carrying ANYTHING that would show the business you own or what you do for a living.  I'm sure if you had any type of encounter and it went south that information would not be of benefit toward you.

Kajun

2 hours ago, Krazy Kajun said:

Waimea, I'd advise against you carrying ANYTHING that would show the business you own or what you do for a living.  I'm sure if you had any type of encounter and it went south that information would not be of benefit toward you.

Kajun

I am just a citizen of the world in France.

As anonymous as I can be.

Thanks for the warning though I appreciate it.

On 11/27/2022 at 8:50 PM, Waimea said:

Howdy

Looking for info from pards that have travelled to Europe (specifically France) with their guns and shot a match there.

What were your experiences:

1. flying there

2. getting into the country with guns and ammo.

3. Securing firearms when you were not shooting like at your residence there 

4. Flying back 

5. Getting back into the country with firearms.

Thinking about it.

Why?

Waimea,

You might try sending a PM to Frenchie Boy.

He is an RO instructor in  Ardeche France. 

He and a friend have been to the United States to shoot Winter Range several times and could possibly help or could give you a contact to help navigate the process (if it's possible).  I personally do not think it will be easy.

You will need a current customs form for your firearms to prove ownership.  When Kat and I went to Africa we also added to camera equipment (anything of high value) to the form.

For all of her faults, The USA is still a very great place to enjoy our rights and freedom.

Vic

1 hour ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

Some people should just not try to take certain things to certain places.  Waimea taking guns to France is one of them.

I have always thought that having an alias is a great idea. Now more than ever.:lol:

23 hours ago, Matthew Duncan said:

Isn't it logical that Waimea wants to travel to Europe and that's the why of it?

Yea but he says he's just "thinking about it", I'm trying to casually tell him to stay home! Going to Europe for a vacation is one thing but taking guns and going to a shoot is just asking for problems.

Archived