SASS Wire Forum

Foreign language movie

Alpo

If you were in prison, and they had a movie every week, but the movie was in a language you did not speak - would you still want to go watch the movie?

Watching Hogan's Heroes and he has just gotten Klink and Burkhalter to agree to the prisoners getting to see a movie every week.

It is occurred to me that it was unlikely for the German werrmach and/or the Luftwaffe to lay their hands on American or English movies, so if they did have a movie it would most likely be a German movie.

I know. It's a television show and it doesn't matter, but I think about weird stuff.

If you were in a foreign language lock-up, I think you would learn their language pretty quickly.

The Big Trail (1930)

Incredibly, six different versions of this film were shot simultaneously: (1) a 70mm version in the Grandeur process for exhibition in the biggest movie palaces, (2) a standard 35mm version for general release, (3) a 35mm alternate French-language version La piste des géants (1931)', (4) a 35mm alternate Spanish-language version La gran jornada (1931), (5) a 35mm alternate German-language version Die große Fahrt (1931), and (6) a 35mm alternate Italian-language version Il grande sentiero (1931). The four alternate-language versions were shot with (mostly) different casts.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0020691/trivia?item=tr0701619

They would shoot a screen,  then bring in different actors and shoot it over in different languages.

51 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

They would shoot a screen,  then bring in different actors and shoot it over in different languages.

The Mexican version of Dracula is supposed to be a much better, much more entertaining movie. They filmed the English version with Lugosi in the daytime, then at night they brought in the Mexican actors and did the Spanish version. And the Mexican  Dracula was supposedly a much better actor.

11 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Really?  I hadn’t noticed.

Yeah, that fact about Alpo slipped by me too. :lol:

20 hours ago, Alpo said:

If you were in prison, and they had a movie every week, but the movie was in a language you did not speak - would you still want to go watch the movie?

Watching Hogan's Heroes and he has just gotten Klink and Burkhalter to agree to the prisoners getting to see a movie every week.

It is occurred to me that it was unlikely for the German werrmach and/or the Luftwaffe to lay their hands on American or English movies, so if they did have a movie it would most likely be a German movie.

I know. It's a television show and it doesn't matter, but I think about weird stuff.

You do indeed.

There were a lot of American movies before the war and German subtitles were added. So if Hogan and his men saw or were shown an American movie, they would just ignore the subtitles.

While in Germany, because of US Military, on many evenings we would watch a US Movie, they had split channels were on one you would watch the movie either dubbed or with subtitles and you could switch to an adjoining channel and watch and hear it in English. By the way, the most popular music in late 80s and 90s were American songs of the 60s.

30 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

To what?  Who?  Whom?  Womb?  Whatever?

Unlike you

22 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

You do indeed.

Some of these people do not seem to have been aware that I think of strange things.

On 11/28/2022 at 12:31 AM, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Really?  I hadn’t noticed.

On 11/28/2022 at 11:45 AM, Capt. R. Hugh Kidnme said:

Yeah, that fact about Alpo slipped by me too. :lol:

So I was just explaining to them that they needed to pay better attention.

B)

In prison anything that breaks up the routine is worth doing.

The Red Cross may have sent movies to the POW camps.

When I was deployed to Crete we went to a movie theater in Chania. Movie was in English with Greek subtitles. Theater was really nice. You could get real food and beer. Between every other seat was a small table for you to sit things on.

I am not in prison so the most basic idea of the OP does not apply but today I watched, on Amazon, a Soviet made movie, Siberian Sniper. I don’t like most of their (Amazon’s) movies and this gave me a chance to practice both German and Russian. I have watched other such movies before and will again.

I have watched several American movies dubbed in foreign languages. These days they use a technology that syncs the lips so it looks natural. Two that I remember were Deadpool and Boss Baby which were dubbed in Ukrainian.

I believe in this case it would be things that most other people don't think about.

For example, you might watch a vampire movie and either laugh at it or be scared of it, while I might watch it and wonder why the vampire is afraid of a cross.

Here's a good strange thought. The Professionals. Four mercenaries go deep into the heart of Mexico to rescue a kidnapped woman. They take their four horses, along with a horse for her, and three pack mules, and much food and water.

At the end of the movie they take the kidnapped woman and the kidnapper, and go back deep into the heart of Mexico to take them back to where they got them from. And all they have is the horses they are riding and a buckboard. No spare food. No pack mules. No water. How do they expect to make it?

Stagecoach. There's an Apache uprising. The Ringo Kid has a gunfight with three bad guys, and uses his last three shells. So he has a rifle, but no ammunition. They put Ringo and Dallas in a buckboard, with no food, no water, and no ammunition for the rifle. And send them off into the middle of the Apache uprising to go to Ringo's ranch. Ringo has been in jail for a couple years. Someone's bound to be living on his ranch, laying claim to his horses and cattle, and is not going to be happy to see him show up. Assuming that he and Dallas make it through the Apaches.

See? Strange.

Archived