SASS Wire Forum

Ruger Alaskans

Dantankerous

For those of you who like the obscenely powerful Ruger short barrel revolver packages in 454 Casull and 480 Ruger of late I have seen plenty of these for sale. They dried up over the last 2 years through the pandemic but now Ruger seems to be putting these out again. 454 Casull ammo can actually be had for around $1.35/round but I've not yet found any .480 Ruger ammo anywhere.

These are beasts. Not for everyone, but certainly amazing powerhouses.

I had a Redhawk in 454, it was like shooting high brass magnum 3 1/2'" 12ga. Turkey loads at the end of your arm. Fun but not very realistic. I sold it a few years back!

Dan….you need to stop encouraging me.  I’ve been noticing the 454s coming down and my 480 Alaskan might want a friend….plus the toklat 454 could use a little brother.

Trying to find a 454 lever as well….

Just now, JD Lud said:

Dan….you need to stop encouraging me.  I’ve been noticing the 454s coming down and my 480 Alaskan might want a friend….plus the toklat 454 could use a little brother.

Trying to find a 454 lever as well….

I got Toklat fever first time I saw one. :D

43 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

I had a Redhawk in 454, it was like shooting high brass magnum 3 1/2'" 12ga. Turkey loads at the end of your arm. Fun but not very realistic. I sold it a few years back!

I'm about ready to pounce on one of these but maybe my brain don't work right... that recoil is brutal and I love it. Also, the giggle factor is off the charts when these are employed against a hoard of gallon water jugs.

.454 ammo appears to currently be abundant and .480 is no where currently to be found.

I keep telling myself, "patience, grasshopper."  :D

I can just picture myself on a hunt that will never happen….Rossi R92 new made model in 454, Toklat loaded up with 454 in my chest holster and my small 4 pound or whatever it is ruger alaskan downloaded with 45 colt bear load in a hip holster….it would be a squirrel hunt for the ages.

3 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

I'm about ready to pounce on one of these but maybe my brain don't work right... that recoil is brutal and I love it. Also, the giggle factor is off the charts when these are employed against a hoard of gallon water jugs.

.454 ammo appears to currently be abundant and .480 is no where currently to be found.

I keep telling myself, "patience, grasshopper."  :D

There is surely a large giggle factor. I think mine had an 7 or 8 inch barrel. Amazing to load a few CAS 45 colts and throw in a 454 for your buddy to try. Warn him first, just don't tell him which one! :ph34r:

1 hour ago, Eyesa Horg said:

There is surely a large giggle factor. I think mine had an 7 or 8 inch barrel. Amazing to load a few CAS 45 colts and throw in a 454 for your buddy to try. Warn him first, just don't tell him which one! :ph34r:

Cowboy loads are soooo soft compared to real ammo. Whoooboy is they ever! A 325 grain hot 45 Colt ain't a slouch but totally outdone by the 454 Casull. 44 mag is only where the fun begins. ;)

I was amazed the first time I pulled the trigger on a Freedom Arms 454 sa. The shop owner that brought it to the range for us all to play with! We were shooting at bowling pins at abt. 30 yards I think. He said we may hit one once, but not likely twice with 5 rounds! He was right, oh my gawd said I. :D being an sa, it really rotated in your hand, no matter how hard you held it it seemed. The Ruger being a da and rubber insert grip was way more controllable, but still an amazing boom. There is never a doubt you pulled the trigger. :P

Have fun!!!!

I got an email from Guns.com a couple of days ago. Darned if I can find it now though. They had Ruger Alaskan .480 Rugers for sale.  $1,291.00
https://www.guns.com/firearms/handguns/revolver/ruger-super-redhawk-alaskan-454-casull-double-action-6-rounds-2-5-barrel-new?p=661998

1 hour ago, Dantankerous said:

Cowboy loads are soooo soft compared to real ammo. Whoooboy is they ever! A 325 grain hot 45 Colt ain't a slouch but totally outdone by the 454 Casull. 44 mag is only where the fun begins. ;)

Try 9gn of Unique under a 255gn plated bullet, in a .454 Casull case using std sp primer.

Firm roll crimp.

17 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

One man’s fun is another man’s pain. :rolleyes:

My days of hotrod handguns and pistol gripped shotguns are over. Same goes for shoulder busting rifles. I don’t mind firing spicy .45 Colts once in a while. ;)

Gave my brother-in-law (AK resident) a Blackhawk in 480R as a thank you for hosting me while I had some field work up there. Bought myself one at the same time. It’s really not all that much of a hand cannon to shoot; feels about in line with 45+P ammo. I carry mine in Montana and Wyoming now and then. Great guns but surely wish they’d have made one in 475 Linebaugh. 

17 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

My days of hotrod handguns and pistol gripped shotguns are over. Same goes for shoulder busting rifles. I don’t mind firing spicy .45 Colts once in a while. ;)

I'm still restricted from long guns of all types until April.
Never was a fan of brutal recoil.
My SxS coach gun with metal butt stock is enough punishment.

I spent a lot of research time learning all about making reduced loads to enjoy plinking with the otherwise hotrod handguns.

6 hours ago, bgavin said:

I'm still restricted from long guns of all types until April.
Never was a fan of brutal recoil.
My SxS coach gun with metal butt stock is enough punishment.

I spent a lot of research time learning all about making reduced loads to enjoy plinking with the otherwise hotrod handguns.

Here’s a good recoil pad I use on my SxS shotguns and one of my 30-30’s. They look old timey too. 

https://www.kick-killer-recoil-pads.com/kick-killer-slip-on-recoil-pad-with-lace-up-closure/

3 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Here’s a good recoil pad I use on my SxS shotguns and one of my 30-30’s. They look old timey too. 

https://www.kick-killer-recoil-pads.com/kick-killer-slip-on-recoil-pad-with-lace-up-closure/

I use those on several of my long guns.

If you want a hand cannon that will blows the doors off 454. Casull & 480 Ruger get one that fires 460 S&W.  You can shoot mouse fart 45 Colts in it.  I definitely recommend a ported barrel & rubber grips.  Years ago when my son wanted a 44M as a gift for getting his paramedic license i rented a uncompensated S&W 29 & a Taurus Raging Bull & fired 25 rounds through each.  The recoil was much more manageable through the Taurus.  The comp reduces muzzle flip & the energy absorbing grip reduces hand sting.

Archived