SASS Wire Forum

Value Check for a Pietta 1851 Kit with Engraving?

Salt Flat Swindler

I haven't posted this for sale yet, mostly because I am unsure where to start with a price. As far as I can tell this is a Pietta 1851 Navy in .44 that was put together from a kit (Dixie Gunworks?). Someone clearly spent some time engraving it with a floral pattern. Sorry for the lack of detail in the picture, I should be able to get more photos in a day or two, but I'm wondering if anyone has a guesstimate on the value?

I'll get closeups of the engraving, see if I can find a year code, verify it is a Pietta, etc. 

image.thumb.jpeg.4f294eb2cef5f8d8a8d2cb2bb2d18292.jpeg

It is very hard to tell from that picture, but appears that it might be laser engraving.  I'm also thinking it would be very unlikely for someone to pay for that amount of hand engraving for a very inexpensive gun, though anything is possible.

Taylor's sells several engraved 1851 models for $355-$518. From the image shown, it appears your gun has rust in many places which lowers the value.

image.thumb.png.777944a9340bc2cb0f07eab8007ed060.png

Not a lot of attention paid to wood-to-metal fit.  Most kit assembled guns are valued at perhaps half of factory assembled guns, unless you know the smith who did the work was very good.

My valuation? Maybe $75 for a shooter.  GJ

51 minutes ago, Cholla said:

Taylor's sells several engraved 1851 models for $355-$518. From the image shown, it appears your gun has rust in many places which lowers the value

28 minutes ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Not a lot of attention paid to wood-to-metal fit.  Most kit assembled guns are valued at perhaps half of factory assembled guns, unless you know the smith who did the work was very good.

My valuation? Maybe $75 for a shooter.  GJ

Full disclosure, this was one my dad's purchases and absolutlely not my taste. The cold blue finish isn't great and the wood to frame fit is also poor. However, someone went ahead and engraved it for some reason. 

This looks like factory machine or laser engraving. It doesn't look like hand engraving to me. A clearer photo of the frame would tell. It does look like someone embellished the brass trigger guard with hand tools, but it doesn't appear to be professionally done.

Archived