SASS Wire Forum

Rye Miles #13621

A very good movie.

58 minutes ago, Dawg Hair, SASS #29557 said:

Best gunfight ever come out of Hollywood.  Saw the movie again last night.

I watched it last night too! Great western!! 

8 hours ago, Dawg Hair, SASS #29557 said:

Best gunfight ever come out of Hollywood.  Saw the movie again last night.

One of the best in a Western, certainly. A strong flavor of realism in this one from Appaloosa. I really liked the shootout in Open Range too. I've watched both movies many times.

I'd vote for the bank heist gone wrong street shootout in Heat for a non Western gunfight rivaled only by the street shootout in  Den of Theives

Way of the Gun gets my vote for best neo-Western shootout.

And for war movies... where to start.

But back to Appaloosa. Guns in hand, cocked, facing each other almost gentlemanly but with the knowledge one of them was about to die. You could see the loss of ego in Bragg's face after Hitch bitchslapped him and told him the bartender has a gun for him.

47 minutes ago, Dantankerous said:

One of the best in a Western, certainly. A strong flavor of realism in this one from Appaloosa. I really liked the shootout in Open Range too. I've watched both movies many times.

I'd vote for the bank heist gone wrong street shootout in Heat for a non Western gunfight rivaled only by the street shootout in  Den of Theives

Way of the Gun gets my vote for best neo-Western shootout.

And for war movies... where to start.

But back to Appaloosa. Guns in hand, cocked, facing each other almost gentlemanly but with the knowledge one of them was about to die. You could see the loss of ego in Bragg's face after Hitch bitchslapped him and told him the bartender has a gun for him.

My vote for best non-western gunfight was toward the end of LA Confidential. There were a couple of good ones earlier in the movie. 

I’ll have to go back to Appaloosa. Haven’t watched that in a long time. 

25 minutes ago, Horace Patootie, SASS #35798 said:

BEST western gunfight was in Open Range...definitely !

Horace

Except for the 9 shots Costner got out of his Colt.:P

25 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Except for the 9 shots Costner got out of his Colt.:P

I always agree to overlook that a bit; permissible artistic license--  this time, I think. Great gunfight!

Just watched Old Henry again; inspired by the discussion in another thread here. Very good gunfight there. 

Among the old classic set-piece gunfights is Randolph Scott and Joel McCrea against the wicked Hammond brothers at the end of Ride the High Country. A good one.

8 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

No worse than Powers Booth’s (Curly Bill) 17 shots in his drug-addled rampage in Tombstone. :P

He had a speedloader :lol: 

if you listen carefully it was only 12. :P

I also enjoyed the rifle dual between the brothers in the rocks at the end of Winchester '73.

On 11/27/2022 at 5:25 PM, Bailey Creek,5759 said:

Thought you were talking about Marlin Brando movie.

I’m watching it now, Marlin Brando is in THE Appaloosa, the one I was referring to to is Appaloosa! 
Yea a little confusing :wacko:

4 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I’m watching it now, Marlin Brando is in THE Appaloosa, the one I was referring to to is Appaloosa! 
Yea a little confusing :wacko:

Clint Eastwood had a western few years back. Unforgiven. And people would frequently talk about that new Clint Eastwood movie, The Unforgiven.

The Unforgiven is Audie Murphy and Audrey Hepburn. Still a western, but a totally different flick.

There’s also the Quick and the Dead with Sharon Stone and also one with Sam Elliot. Completely different movies! Both westerns!

10 hours ago, Tall Tale Todd said:

I love Appaloosa and I love that scene. However, my vote for best gunfight would the be the one at the beginning in the saloon, followed by the one at the jail when Bragg gets away.

Basically, there were no gunfights in Appaloosa not worth not watching again and again?

Wait. What?

:D

Got Appaloosa and Open Range on my shelf waiting their turn.  Just ordered Den of Thieves.  Couldn't find heat.

I'll enter the whole bevy of gunfights, almost all at the same time, inSilverado.

Another one, where almost nothing is actually seen, is the one at the beginning of The Life And Times Of Judge Roy Bean.

Just finished watching Appaloosa.

One o the better westerns in my estimation.  Don't know how I missed it for 24 years.

Someone needs to feed Ed Harris a lot more material and let him run with it.

Not many errors, but only one stands out:  when Virgil is shot and his girlfriend runs across dirt plaza in a western town someone, apparently named Foley, thought it should should like she was running on a board walk. 

Aside from that, I can forgive the very few errors in the film.

1 hour ago, Irish-Pat said:

Tom Selleck in any of his three

Three? I've got four Tom Selleck westerns (Crossfire, Sackett, Shadow, Quigley), and I know I don't have all of them because I didn't like Saber River so I didn't get it.

Just  finished Open Range.  Good story but a lot a garbage mixed in.

I'll never cease to be amazed at how much damage a .44 ot .45 bullet can cause and I shot 12 gauge guns most of my life and never caused the havoc that those guns did  I can't put my mark on it as one of the great gunfights, but if you can overlook the BS it wasn't bad.

BRW, I warchrd Old Henry last night and that one's a keeper,

Archived