SASS Wire Forum

Hat Help

Geronimo Jim SASS # 21775

Depending on what the hat material is... you can wet it and let it shrink to fit... or maybe winning some matches will swell your head... or not.   ;)

Leave it in the hot car, it will shrink.  Although  you might have to wait until next summer. ;)

There was a thread a few months ago about this.  Various recommendations on things to stuff into the sweatband.

Use strips of felt under the sweat band. I get mine at Wal-Mart .69 cents a square. One strip all the way around will reduce it about one size. 

Good Luck, Pard

A paper towel folded in 2” strips under the sweat band works well. Put one in front, second in back if needed. 

15 minutes ago, Hoss said:

A paper towel folded in 2” strips under the sweat band works well. Put one in front, second in back if needed. 

As my head is a long oval but most of my hats are not, I end up putting spacers on the sides of some of them.

7 minutes ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

As my head is a long oval but most of my hats are not, I end up putting spacers on the sides of some of them.

You can go to Shorty’s Caboy Hattery in Oklahoma City. They will put a gizmo on your head, then transfer that to paper, then build a block that will exactly fit your head. Then a custom made hat. Only takes about 7 months and about $1000 

Just now, Hoss said:

You can go to Shorty’s Caboy Hattery in Oklahoma City.

I didn't know it until recently, but I have a cousin that makes the hatbands at Shorty's.

Haven't asked about a discount, because I still wouldn't be able to afford one!

Archived