SASS Wire Forum

Miroku 1873 sight issues

powertube

I bought a new miroku 1873 carbine a month ago. At the store I was able to try some Ubertis and Mirokus (Carbines / Short Rifles) and I liked the shape of the carbines buttstocks better. 

It's a beautiful gun with perfect workmanship and an unbelievable smooth action right out the box, but I have so kind of problems with the factory sights. The sight picture is just blurry... I'm not into CAS right now, but we're doing some kind of shooting over here what's a bit similar to cas. 

unlike the short rifles it has no buckhorn rear or dovetail front sight, but a ladder rear sight and an front sight without a dovetail. 

Please see the attached image, on top is the short rifle version, below the carbine. 

As I understand, I can't swap the rear sight and replace it with a buckhorn or something like that as the position of the dove tail in the barrel is located at another position (nearer to the action) as at the short rifle versions. Also the front sight (as there is no dove tail) limits my options.

Do you have any idea what could work to improve it? I think tang sights are more suitable for shooters who don't need to switch fast between targets.

Winchester Model 1873 Carbine - 534255137.jpg

The elevator on the short rifle is in backwards.  It usually goes into the slot on the shank in front of the sight.  However, even reversed it may be too long for the carbine. Check with Long Hunter Shooters Supply as they have an adjustable rear sight for '73s that might work.  According to the description the shank is less than two inches long.  They list it as flattop rear carbine sight M 63.

Do you wear prescription glasses/contacts for normal everyday use?

If so, you will need to have shooter prescription glasses made for your dominant eye to see that front sight without the blurriness.  

Yeah, looks like the carbine sights really suck, just like 66 carbine. I have the rifle with 20 inch barrel.

First thing that broke was the bolt safety, I welded it up. Next , my stock broke, I installed one from a Uberti 73. Then, I had to replace the loading gate. Other than those few things it's been a good rifle. I don't know if it makes any difference but I got one of the first Miroku's 7-8 years back maybe longer. 

First run may have had some QC issues.

The ladder sight is one of my favorites, but it is not without issues. The "V" notch is great for fast acquisition IMO, but the front is a bit small. Mine is a '66 Uberti, but the sights are very similar. I also have a '73 Uberti that came with a broken ladder sight. The seller said it was loose, it was broken. And as you have correctly stated, the dovetail is further back with the ladder sight. The "V" notch is even with the dovetail. 

Not entirely correct but usable is the option of installing a short shank marbles sight. The correct option would be to cut a new dovetail, and install a new long shank rear sight. 

However, none of these will make your sight picture any clearer as the distances are very similar. My corrective lenses are progressive, no line trifocals in old man speak. 

There are ways to trick your eyes to focus, but I find that a bit of swapping out sights usually gets me something workable. At the distance that cowboys shoot their rifles, a rear sight may not even be required. Or install a buckhorn and set it so the bead is in the middle of the horns to hit the middle of the target, a open top aperture of sorts. I prefer a "V", fairly large. 

995764641_Marblesshortshank.thumb.jpg.deb315bf1b614af10dca0fc059fd2c12.jpg

I did have to leave out the elevator and I also had to lower the insert all the way. You should not have that issue, my rifle tends to shoot a wee bit high. The barrel may have an issue, or the crown may not be square, but it shoots well enough that I'll just leave it. A replacement ladder would not work, it would shoot very high with it. I believe that is the reason for the broken sight and the attractive selling  price. As a rule, you can expect most used guns to have an issue or two, and you can expect that some new ones have issues as well. Most shooters tend to keep the good ones. If I sell a good one, I advertise it as such, and charge a bit more. After all, I've done all the testing and inspection and correction if it was needed. 

I have one Miroku '73, "It's a good one", and not for sale. Unfortunately it has the conventional sights and not my preferred ladder. With my '66 trapper with the ladder sight, I had to try the ladder, it brings a smile to the face when you can hit a big gong at 250 with a 38 Special. Magic gun, and it is not for sale either. 

BB

1 hour ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Interesting.  Did it take much fitting?

It fit, had to shim under the top tang the stock was cut about 3/32" too deep. The way my guns get beat up I'm just happy they work. Don't care how pretty they are. But, the stock fit pretty close to original.

19 hours ago, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

Check with Long Hunter Shooters Supply as they have an adjustable rear sight for '73s that might work.  According to the description the shank is less than two inches long.  They list it as flattop rear carbine sight M 63.

Thank you so much, thats what I've been looking for. ^_^ I just ordered it from brownells. 

16 hours ago, Oklahoma Dee said:

Do you wear prescription glasses/contacts for normal everyday use?

If so, you will need to have shooter prescription glasses made for your dominant eye to see that front sight without the blurriness.  

No, I don't wear glasses, but already tried some reading glasses with diopter between 0,5 and 1,5 , but it didn't helped with the blurriness.

12 hours ago, "Big Boston" said:

Not entirely correct but usable is the option of installing a short shank marbles sight. The correct option would be to cut a new dovetail, and install a new long shank rear sight. 

Thanks, I think it's the same sight @Tex Jones, SASS 2263 mentioned: https://www.brownells-deutschland.de/RIFLE-66H-FLAT-TOP-LONG-SHANK-REAR-SIGHT-Rifle-Dovetail-66H-Flat-Top-Long-Shank-Rear-Sight-Black-MARBLE-ARMS-Universal-Rifles-579063003

The original sights are just too small. The bead piece in the front sights measures 1mm (0.039”) and the gap of the ladder sight is also only 1mm. I will test and try out with the new marble rear sight only and maybe blacken the brass front sight to black. If it doesnt work, I will make a new, thicker shim with a bead like those https://www.longhunt.com/storelh/index.php?route=product/product&path=88_117&product_id=344

• 3 weeks later...

Many thanks to @Tex Jones, SASS 2263 and @"Big Boston"  who recommended the marbles rear sight. 

The sight arrived yesterday. Sure enough I couldn't wait to swap the sights. 

And what should I say, no comparison to before. Much better than expected. I also painted the brass part of the front sight black matte. 

thanks again to all of you

Archived