SASS Wire Forum

Where to get Bullets

Ramblin Gambler

May I recommend Badman Bullets?  They are also a CAS oriented business and supplier of many items of use to the cowboy action shooter.  Friendly, knowledgeable folks.  I use their 160 grain  polymer coated bullets in my C45S loads under both smokeless and black powder.

17 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

If you are getting side splatter, you may well have a bbl to cyl gap issue, or index timing issue.

Had a gunsmith check the gun out and it was fine.  No signs of shaving and he tested it with some tissue paper and his own loads and got nothing.  Plus, I doubt the cylinder gap would close up just because the powder changed. 

17 hours ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

none of them cause "side spatter". Lead shaving isn't caused by the powder,

It was definitely powder.  Little round flakes all over my hands and the table.  I actually thought it was lead but the RO looked at it the mess I left closely a few times over the course of the match and finally asked what kinda powder I was using because it sure looked like a bunch of unburnt Unique to him.  I had to go back to my cart and look at the box to see he guessed right. 

19 hours ago, Hendo said:

I know, my bad.

To be fair, I have never purchased from Miss Scarlett in person and the last time I ordered from her and hugged my monitor the electrostatic discharge knocked me out for an hour.

:D Hendo! All online purchases come with a Free Hug Raincheck! No expiration date! 

Big hugs!

Scarlett:wub:

1 hour ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

Had a gunsmith check the gun out and it was fine.  No signs of shaving and he tested it with some tissue paper and his own loads and got nothing.  Plus, I doubt the cylinder gap would close up just because the powder changed. 

It was definitely powder.  Little round flakes all over my hands and the table.  I actually thought it was lead but the RO looked at it the mess I left closely a few times over the course of the match and finally asked what kinda powder I was using because it sure looked like a bunch of unburnt Unique to him.  I had to go back to my cart and look at the box to see he guessed right. 

Then it was under-loaded in the powder charge. 

Bbl cyl gaps don't close up with smokeless. 

What was the charge weight and bullet weight used?

12 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Then it was under-loaded in the powder charge. 

Bbl cyl gaps don't close up with smokeless. 

What was the charge weight and bullet weight used?

I might have that information at home.  Since I didn't like the loads, I didn't see a need to make note of the recipe.  If it's anywhere it might still be on one of the boxes.  I'm pretty sure it was a 200gr bullet.  I know it was loaded in the 700-750 FPS range and that's where I like my power.  Initially he was making some loads for me that went about 500 fps and I had to ask him for something more stout.  So if that's under-loaded for unique it still means I'd rather not use it.  I guess if I'm forced to use it, I'll keep this in mind and try something a little faster. 

BTW, I should have said guns in that last post, not gun.  both pistols were doing it.  Never had it happen with the red dot or HP-38 loads. 

36 minutes ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

I might have that information at home.  Since I didn't like the loads, I didn't see a need to make note of the recipe.  If it's anywhere it might still be on one of the boxes.  I'm pretty sure it was a 200gr bullet.  I know it was loaded in the 700-750 FPS range and that's where I like my power.  Initially he was making some loads for me that went about 500 fps and I had to ask him for something more stout.  So if that's under-loaded for unique it still means I'd rather not use it.  I guess if I'm forced to use it, I'll keep this in mind and try something a little faster. 

BTW, I should have said guns in that last post, not gun.  both pistols were doing it.  Never had it happen with the red dot or HP-38 loads. 

All I use in SASS is Unique. 

That said, I don't load 'fly-fart' loads either.

In my .44's, I use 6.5gn of Unique under a 240gn moly coated RNFP, in a .44 mag case and firm roll-crimp. 

On 11/25/2022 at 3:54 PM, Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 said:

Bullets by Scarlett, she can also set you up with Clean Shot Powder and she gives free hugs with every order!!

https://bulletsbyscarlett.com/

Randy

When I started, I could only find Clean Shot.  Really like it!  SB

My favorite, and frankly now my only chosen source, is Desperado Cowboy Bullets.

I load my Colts with their .45 sized .454 over 6.7 of Unique and get one hole groups at

15 yds.  Damn good stuff from a damn fine Cowboy family! 

https://cowboybullets.com/45-cal-250-grain_p_26.html

On 11/26/2022 at 4:44 PM, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

All I use in SASS is Unique. 

That said, I don't load 'fly-fart' loads either.

In my .44's, I use 6.5gn of Unique under a 240gn moly coated RNFP, in a .44 mag case and firm roll-crimp. 

Finally made it home and found the info.  It was 45 Colt, 200 gr RFN, 6.8 gr Unique.  Is that under-loaded? 

FWIW, this is from a 2010 "The High Road" post:

"For the 200 grn bullet they list following

unique 8.0 838 fps 11,600 cup to 9.0 883 fps 14,400.

these also from hodgdon manual."

(Hodgdon doesn't show any Unique loads now)

I've noticed the published loads for Unique are often hotter than most use for CAS.  For example, Alliant shows max of 9.5gr Unique with a Speer 200gr LSWC for 1061 fps.  They say to reduce the max loads by 10% for starting loads.  That is still going to be pretty hot for CAS.  Another example, for .38 spcl they list 5.7gr max for a 125gr jacketed bullet.  They don't list data for a cast 125gr bullet.  But 10% below that for a starting load would be 5.13 gr.   I shot a few thousand 125gr .38's with 4.1gr and it was a good load.  I guess I'm saying that published data for Unique isn't going to help much for CAS.

Many years ago in a land far away, it was common practice to make your own.  Although we've bought a lot of bullets,  I still cast most of the bullets I load for my guns.  I already have the equipment and lead. 

If I were to start over, I'd probably just buy store bought.  

1396928783_Lee401-170TCDec2018.jpg.c59d2f17903248ee3ef7c87ea89612d8.jpg

19 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

FWIW, this is from a 2010 "The High Road" post:

"For the 200 grn bullet they list following

unique 8.0 838 fps 11,600 cup to 9.0 883 fps 14,400.

these also from hodgdon manual."

(Hodgdon doesn't show any Unique loads now)

I've noticed the published loads for Unique are often hotter than most use for CAS.  For example, Alliant shows max of 9.5gr Unique with a Speer 200gr LSWC for 1061 fps.  They say to reduce the max loads by 10% for starting loads.  That is still going to be pretty hot for CAS.  Another example, for .38 spcl they list 5.7gr max for a 125gr jacketed bullet.  They don't list data for a cast 125gr bullet.  But 10% below that for a starting load would be 5.13 gr.   I shot a few thousand 125gr .38's with 4.1gr and it was a good load.  I guess I'm saying that published data for Unique isn't going to help much for CAS.

Referring to a 2004 Alliant Powder Reloaders Guide on page 45, "Cowboy Action", 7.5 grains of Unique with a 200 grain RNFP bullet gave 801 fps in a 45 Colt case.  For 38 Special using a 125 grain Meister bullet, 4.5 grains of Unique gave 700 fps.  Sometimes old manuals have the data one needs.

6 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

Many years ago in a land far away, it was common practice to make your own.  Although we've bought a lot of bullets,  I still cast most of the bullets I load for my guns.  I already have the equipment and lead. 

If I were to start over, I'd probably just buy store bought.  

1396928783_Lee401-170TCDec2018.jpg.c59d2f17903248ee3ef7c87ea89612d8.jpg

i hear that loud and clear - there is something about knowing in your mind that you are capable of whatever is needed and casting your own bullets is a real nice comfort level , but ive been buying the bulk of mine over the years even though i have two friends that love to cast them , we have all the equipment and lead , but i do like my purchased bullets in bulk , 

im finding i like loading better than casting for the controlled environment as well , there is something about sitting outside in summer with friends casting that gets lost in the minnessota winters 

• 4 weeks later...

Howdy Pard

You might consider casting your own. Bullet-casting technology is hardly rocket science. Casting of projectiles goes back well before medieval times. A collector showed me a cast projectile from the era of the Roman Empire that was used in slings (think David and Goliath). Had an anchor symbol on it signifying naval use. It was not so heavy it couldn’t be flung a considerable distance but heavy enough to do some real danger to the unfortunate target.

Anyway, I digress.

Started lead casting as a kid (I’m FDR era). First toy soldiers and then on to bullets. Have cast bullets since I was 16. Good casting equipment (melting pots, bullet moulds, etc.) can be obtained very economically. Good bullet moulds if properly cared for, can outlast any number of human users. Ditto for good reloading presses and dies. Again, it’s hardly rocket science. Some shooting buddies have reloading gear that may qualify as rocket science. I use simpler gear and cast on an outdoor porch. A steady southwest wind quickly disperses smoke and fumes. If it’s going to kill me it had best get with it before Father Time does.

If you cast bullets, WEAR A MASK!

Keep on the sunny side 

Adios

Fort Reno Kid 

Badman Bullets in Oregon has cast lead and poly coated bullets in all the common CAS calibers and a big array of weights and bullet contours.  Their pricing can be a shade higher at times, but their products are precisely uniform and very clean, plus they ship free across the contiguous US and AK, which is substantial.  

Archived