SASS Wire Forum

Where to get Bullets

Ramblin Gambler

I'm about to start rolling my own and I don't know any good places to get boolits.  I tried the usual suspects like brownells, and all they had was something from hornady.  I went ahead and got some to get me started but I figure there must be better places. 

I shoot 45 colt with that new fangled smokeless powder if that matters to ya. 

As a side note if you have a secret honey hole for Red Dot I'd like to know that too.  The load I've been using since I started is Red Dot. Unfortunately the gentleman who used to load them for me got out of it and sold off all of his components. 

I have used to great satisfaction in no particular order:

Missouri Bullet

Cheycast Bullet

Montana Bullet Works

Outlaw Bullet

Meister Bullet

Matts Bullets

3 minutes ago, Dantankerous said:

I have used to great satisfaction in no particular order:

Missouri Bullet

Cheycast Bullet

Montana Bullet Works

Outlaw Bullet

Meister Bullet

Matts Bullets

Plus one for Missouri, Montana Bullet Works and Meister, all of which I have used. Add Bayou and Berry's.

Your best bet for bullets is buying directly from a bullet caster.  Check with your local SASS Club and see if one delivers to local matches.  Also, buy from those casters who sponsor matches you shoot.  I've got Bear Creek bullets as door prizes and like them too.  Next best is to buy from a caster who ships in USPS bulk rate boxes.  They often fill these boxes to just under 70-lbs.

I have bought from Colorado Cast, Chey-Cast, Bang and Clang, Missouri Bullets, Desperado and SNS Casting.  They all sell bullets suitable for our sport.  I recommend softer bullets, not hard cast.  I also recommend the new coated bullets.  They will keep you dies free of wax and lead shavings.

Regarding powder, Alliant Powders like RedDot are almost unavailable.  Some Hodgdon powders like Tightgroup and HP-38 are available.  These days one must load what is available.

I'll add:

Slippery Bullets, a Pard in Nh 

And Desperado Cowboy, soft cast as are Missouri

9 minutes ago, Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 said:

Bullets by Scarlett, she can also set you up with Clean Shot Powder and she gives free hugs with every order!!

https://bulletsbyscarlett.com/

Randy

Scarlett also has Clean Shot powder.

I have been using CKB cast bullets, there coated (black) they have the bullet profile I like in both 38 and 45, I have never had any leading with the bullets and they typically ship pretty fast

1 hour ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

look for Unique

Unique is pretty much non-existent too.  But I think my guy loaded some with unique and I didn't like them.  I got a lot of side splatter through the cylinder gap and since I'm a funfighter that meant it was hitting my hand.  It was a little unnerving. 

1 hour ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

HP-38

I did get my hands on some of this. 

1 hour ago, Eyesa Horg said:

just Google cast bullets as well

Yeah I did that, and that's why I'm asking here.  Other than the big name stores like brownells (who is out of almost everything), I don't know who's a reputable dealer.  So thanks everyone for the leads.  Keep em comin.  All help is appreciated. 

I have used mastercast.net for 2 decades and they make great bullets, have great service,  and are by farthest the least expensive.  The reason I went with them long ago was they were the only castor that I found that made a 100gn DEWC after my local source quit.  Ive used that bullet in my pistols long before I started cowboy. 

JEL

2 hours ago, Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 said:

Bullets by Scarlett, she can also set you up with Clean Shot Powder and she gives free hugs with every order!!

https://bulletsbyscarlett.com/

Randy

Plus 1 for Scarlett and she also sponsors many matches!  She sells loaded cartridges too.

Roper

I've had good luck with Missouri bullet, SNS, and Cimarron bullets.

I haven't seen any Red Dot for a year or so.  My local gun store has an eight pound jug of Promo which I've been to told has a burn rate and loads the same as Red Dot.  I have never used any so I can't substantiate that claim.

image.thumb.png.9b74c25980b1883a4827a0f58d042435.png

1 hour ago, Doc Hurd #12379 said:

I haven't seen any Red Dot for a year or so.  My local gun store has an eight pound jug of Promo which I've been to told has a burn rate and loads the same as Red Dot.  I have never used any so I can't substantiate that claim.

Brownell's has had Red Dot several times over the past few months. I picked up two 8lbs kegs and two 1lbs... that was the max at the time. Good price too. I'd keep an eye on them if you're looking for that. 

JEL

3 minutes ago, Lawdog Dago Dom said:

The HUGS!

You left out the HUGS!!!!

I know, my bad.

To be fair, I have never purchased from Miss Scarlett in person and the last time I ordered from her and hugged my monitor the electrostatic discharge knocked me out for an hour.

I am another big supporter of 'Bullets by Scarlett'..... which is Scarlett Darlin.    She is also VERY active in many shoots and

a very active SPONSOR in a lot of matches.    PLUS...... ya gotta love those hugs... :wub:

..........Widder

3 hours ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

Unique is pretty much non-existent too.  But I think my guy loaded some with unique and I didn't like them.  I got a lot of side splatter through the cylinder gap and since I'm a funfighter that meant it was hitting my hand.  It was a little unnerving. 

I did get my hands on some of this. 

Yeah I did that, and that's why I'm asking here.  Other than the big name stores like brownells (who is out of almost everything), I don't know who's a reputable dealer.  So thanks everyone for the leads.  Keep em comin.  All help is appreciated. 

WW231 and HP-38 are the same powder.

If you are getting side splatter, you may well have a bbl to cyl gap issue, or index timing issue.

All I use for SASS is Unique powder.

If I told you my secret honey hole for Red Dot, it wouldn't be a secret, would it. ;)

There are thirty powders that will work fine for this game in .45 Colt, and none of them cause "side spatter". Lead shaving isn't caused by the powder, but rather a timing or wear issue. Revolvers are going to have a certain amount of gas escaping at the barrel/cylinder gap - there's no avoiding that, except for the 1895 Nagant, of course. There are also easily fifty recognizable commercial casters, many mentioned above, and probably another five hundred or thousand who cast for local shooters & clubs. There used to be a shooter here who brought his cast bullets to nearly every shoot, but I haven't seen him for years. The lead? Could have been anything from pure to 25 BHN, but they were cheap. :lol: We're shooting at "OK Corral distances", so don't fret too much over an exact powder, bullet weight, alloy, case, hull, wad, or primer. Well, unless you're one of those folks who shoots "tuned" guns with 12 pound springs that won't work reliably with anything but Federals. ;)

10 hours ago, Doc Hurd #12379 said:

I've used a bunch of Promo, using the same load data as Red Dot.  It works great.  Buy that jug of Promo if you like Red Dot.

Not a 45 Colt shooter as OP seemed to be inquiry, but I have use many different bullet brands in over 20 years of CAS, some makers no longer in the business (AA, Hampton, Stormy, Black Dawge, and others).  In my loading of  .358 bullets,  Sassy and I are still using up the last of several weights of  Cimarron bullets and I am starting to test a number of brands,also  all coated, to take their place when supply is totally exhausted.  Currently I am getting good results in tests with 105s from CheyCast, Bang N Clang, and Naildriver. 

In the 125s I find Scarlett's very accurate with T-7-ff, Clays and Clay Dot.  I am fond of the  NO lube/crimp groove shape.

I will add another to the list already mentioned, Bustin Head Lead (bhlead23@gmail.com). 

I like certain colors so to distinguish weights for Sassy and I, and to assure she knows one color is probably going to be my black powder loads.  I tell her if it is red, SCARLETT, it is good for her rifle, and revolver if need for pistol knock-downs.  I have Bustin Head use a green color for 125s and I often use them.  Having 105s in a gold or gray/metal color allows us to be able to identify them quickly from 125s or any of the 135 & 147s sometimes loaded.  

Archived