SASS Wire Forum

Worst Thanksgiving Ever

Cholla

The entire purpose for the mask, if you remember way back when this all started, wasn't to filter out germs. The mask was to keep the wearer from expelling droplets of moisture (breathing, sneezing, coughing, etc.) that could carry the virus. I am not saying that it was or wasn't effective, but if you look back almost three years, that was the original purpose of the masks.

7 hours ago, Cholla said:

The entire purpose for the mask, if you remember way back when this all started, wasn't to filter out germs. The mask was to keep the wearer from expelling droplets of moisture (breathing, sneezing, coughing, etc.) that could carry the virus. I am not saying that it was or wasn't effective, but if you look back almost three years, that was the original purpose of the masks.

The low quality masks can control cough viral release with some level of effectiveness.  Better masks to a better job.  If a mask blocks ANY virus particles from traveling between people, there is some benefit.  

Remember, PPE  is all about avoiding taking in virus particles in numbers too large at one time for your immune system to arrest before they can reproduce themselves.  

If you walk through a cough cloud of droplets in a store just seconds or minutes after the person coughed, you get a high dose at one time.  If they wore a mask, your dose is lessened (never totally eliminated).  If you also wore a mask, your intake of particles is further lessened.  When   fewer virus particles reach your pharynx, (where they immediately start replicating),  there is a better chance that your T-Cell immune system can find and attack them, preventing their replication.  If their numbers are too low for them to replicate at a sufficient rate to overtake your immunity,  you have a controllable exposure.

So it is all about the numbers acquired at any one time.  Better masks mean transfer of lower numbers of infectious particles.  But it is unrealistic to think that any mask will block 100% of the droplets and particles.  That's why nobody can give guarantees. But masks do reduce exposure and increase the odds of a successful immune response.  The better the mask, the lower the viral dose acquired at one time.

4 hours ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

The low quality masks can control cough viral release with some level of effectiveness.  Better masks to a better job.  If a mask blocks ANY virus particles from traveling between people, there is some benefit.  

Remember, PPE  is all about avoiding taking in virus particles in numbers too large at one time for your immune system to arrest before they can reproduce themselves.  

If you walk through a cough cloud of droplets in a store just seconds or minutes after the person coughed, you get a high dose at one time.  If they wore a mask, your dose is lessened (never totally eliminated).  If you also wore a mask, your intake of particles is further lessened.  When   fewer virus particles reach your pharynx, (where they immediately start replicating),  there is a better chance that your T-Cell immune system can find and attack them, preventing their replication.  If their numbers are too low for them to replicate at a sufficient rate to overtake your immunity,  you have a controllable exposure.

So it is all about the numbers acquired at any one time.  Better masks mean transfer of lower numbers of infectious particles.  But it is unrealistic to think that any mask will block 100% of the droplets and particles.  That's why nobody can give guarantees. But masks do reduce exposure and increase the odds of a successful immune response.  The better the mask, the lower the viral dose acquired at one time.

If you take the mask off or clean it immediately after you walk through the cloud. If not the mask is actually increased your exposure. It’s a real crapshoot 

6 hours ago, Buckshot Bob said:

If you take the mask off or clean it immediately after you walk through the cloud. If not the mask is actually increased your exposure. It’s a real crapshoot 

Mostly true.  But remember, a big part is timing.  If the mask catches and holds some of the particles (it does), it attenuates the rate at which you intake them (i.e., you receive them from the mask more gradually than from the initial cough cloud).  So there is more time for your T-cells to attack the reduced flow of virus and there is some benefit.  Masks should not be an acceptable replication site for virus, at normal air temperatures and humidity.  Viral particles  must attach to a living cell in order to replicate.  But a mask certainly can breed and multiply most any bacteria, and it concentrates numbers of viral particles, if it is not cleaned or exchanged, as you indicated. 

Personally, I carry two N-95 masks in my truck.  I Ultraviolet light (sunlight) clean and dry one while I wear the other -- usually alternating days.  

No question that proper mask hygiene is critically important.  If you pick up virus on your hand-- like from a shopping cart--  and then touch your mask without sanitizing first, you are concentrating virus right at your air intake point.  

The other thing that helps is to do shopping early in the morning, before the particle numbers in stores' recirculated air becomes elevated.  

A lot of it is just common sense.  If the enemy is  coming up your driveway a couple at a time, you can definitely protect yourself.  But if two hundred rush you at once,  you're probably going to have a bad experience.   

23 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

Mostly true.  But remember, a big part is timing.  If the mask catches and holds some of the particles (it does), it attenuates the rate at which you intake them (i.e., you receive them from the mask more gradually than from the initial cough cloud).  So there is more time for your T-cells to attack the reduced flow of virus and there is some benefit.  Masks should not be an acceptable replication site for virus, at normal air temperatures and humidity.  Viral particles  must attach to a living cell in order to replicate.  But a mask certainly can breed and multiply most any bacteria, and it concentrates numbers of viral particles, if it is not cleaned or exchanged, as you indicated. 

Personally, I carry two N-95 masks in my truck.  I Ultraviolet light (sunlight) clean and dry one while I wear the other -- usually alternating days.  

No question that proper mask hygiene is critically important.  If you pick up virus on your hand-- like from a shopping cart--  and then touch your mask without sanitizing first, you are concentrating virus right at your air intake point.  

The other thing that helps is to do shopping early in the morning, before the particle numbers in stores' recirculated air becomes elevated.  

A lot of it is just common sense.  If the enemy is  coming up your driveway a couple at a time, you can definitely protect yourself.  But if two hundred rush you at once,  you're probably going to have a bad experience.   

90% of the general population is not doing or going to do the things we have talked about. And allot of them seem to feel it’s doing far more for them than it actually is. With the behavior I’ve observed during covid I just feel the masks probably did more harm than good for the general population. Most of the people I observed in the grocery stores would touch something on the shelves then adjust their mask again and again. Happy little virus sucking and spreading machines. My mother and father just got over covid a couple weeks ago, in their 80’s and my mother is In very poor health. Mom got the infusion and dad got the pill . They both got through it with very little symptoms. My wife is a nurse and got it and infected me about a month ago. We took some musinex and drank allot of water. After having this latest version I guess I’d rather get it and build my immune system. I’ve had flu’s where I felt far worse. All of us felt symptoms for about a week before testing positive. Probably why this strain is so easily transmitted. Where my wife works they won’t take a nurse off the floor without a positive test . Then it was 5 days and back to work and she doesn’t have to test for 90 days. After that she’s going back to testing every day unless like she had to do before catching it unless they change the rules again. 

Archived