SASS Wire Forum

Anyone have a Blackhawk, redhawk, Taurus tracker ?

Dirty Dan Dawkins

• Dirty Dan Dawkins changed the title to Anyone have a Blackhawk, redhawk, Taurus tracker ?

Bears? What kind? Black bears or the much larger and more aggressive brown/grizzly not generally found much in the lower 48 but for areas of northern Idaho and Montana?

.357 Mag hard cast OK for black bears. That's for packable self defense, not hunting. A rifle caliber is a better choice for hunting bear.

I'd want something much larger for the other bear. Much, much larger than .357.

First get a Redhawk or other double action pistol. It's much easier to remember to just pull the trigger than remembering to cock the hammer first when in a extremely stressful situation.

Personally I would want a 44 magnum. Yes 44 Mag packs a significant amount of recoil but when the adrenalin kicks in you won't feel it. There are plenty of good hunting rounds available that will work Avoid self defense ammo For bears you need good penetration Self defense rounds will not penetrate sufficiently. 41 magnum hunting loads would be my second choice. Then either 357 or 454 Casul hunting rounds. 

For Black Bears the best defense is to make sure the bear knows you are in the vicinity. 2nd line of defense is bear spray. The large cloud it makes doesn't require the accuracy that a pistol does. 

For Brown Bears, a 45-70 lever gun or a  12 ga shotgun with slugs.

The most important thing is to practice a lot. Especially shooting accurately when not in the best of positions. Use light target loads to get the fundamentals.  

E

I second the motion for bear spray. Counter Assault is a proven brand.

44 magnum is also quite proven, but much more difficult to shoot well under stress and a lot heavier to carry.

For bear, do not load hollow point people defense ammo, load solids. Hard cast lead in the 300+ grain for 44 mag is where the serious starts. As well as tentatively punishing recoil. 

One of mine. (Not for sale.) 

20221125_142029.jpg

Solid compared to hollow point.

20221125_142437.jpg

20221125_142507.jpg

Bear protection? Short barrel 12 ga. Pump with a full butt stock and loaded with slugs alternated with 00 buckshot. 

Personal experience has proven it to be very effective. 

If it is for brown or grizz, be sure to file the front sight off so it won't hurt so bad when the bear shoves it up your...

Seriously, studies have shown that gun shots are not going to take affect until well after it's on you. The bear spray can stop them in their tracks.

This is a interesting summary of firearm use against bears:

https://www.ammoland.com/2022/04/update-of-pistol-defenses-against-bears-123-cases-98-effective/#axzz7lhUqOkH8

As for what type and caliber of handgun, besides what type of bear to possibly be encountered, who will be using the handgun?  Male or female or both?  Age and experience of the would be user?  

I've owned several Ruger Redhawks  in 44mag and 45 colt and could not comfortably reach the trigger, especially with rubber grips being used like Pachmayers,  while Hogues, which exposed the backstrap, did nothing to mitigate felt recoil of high end loads.  I could not handle the pain in the web of my hand between the thumb and index finger when I could reach the trigger, so practising was a no go, and the Rugers went on their way.  

From a woman's point of view, I could make a few more comments, if  the OP wishes to PM me.

My idea of a big bear pistol:

Modified Marlin in 45 -70 with a 18 inch barrel and bear spray...

Remember if you must carry a pistol, the minimum is a .44 mag, I am suspect of the 10 mm adoption, sorry 10 mm fans..

The other consideration is the 12 gauge with slugs and magnum buckshot but recoil is stout.

Model 1895GS Guide Gun, Lever Action, 45-70 Govt., Stainless Steel Walnut, 18.5 barrel, Serial #MR73091D..JPG

Unless your inlaws are going to spend a LOT of time learning to use the handgun with heavy loads, it probably won't due much good if they come across a bear

Bear spray or a shotgun with slugs, only I would suggest a semi-auto over a pump.  It can be fired more quickly than any pump and even experienced people will sometimes short stroke a pump shotgun, especially under stress.

I have numerous .44 mags (Redhawk, Super Blackhawk, and a S&W 629), but if I was worried about bears, I would take the toy I also have that's listed below:

TAC-14 | Remington (remarms.com)

29 minutes ago, Gambler Rob said:

Maybe 200 rounds thru it. PM if interested.......Thanks

20220701_072146.jpg

20220701_095632.jpg

If DDD isn’t interested in this, I am.   I tried to PM but said you couldn’t receive messages.  
Thanks

HNH

On 11/24/2022 at 2:29 PM, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

357 or 44 mag 4 3/4” blue or stainless

inlaws want carry gun for bears

open to idea of pair of 44 blackhawks we could split if priced right

You asked about the Taurus Tracker. My experience with it is that it is a decent, mid size frame revolver. 5 shot. Basic, nothing fancy. I've shot 240 grain JHP 44 mag ammo through one and its an OK gun. Nowhere near the quality of Ruger or Smith. Being a smaller revolver it's going to be easier to carry but you're limited to 5 shots, and I'm not sure I'd be using the 300+ grain "bear" ammo in a Taurus.

You'd probably be better off with a 6, 7 or 8 shot Ruger or Smith .357 mag using 180 grain solid "bear" loads from that platform if it's blacks not browns, that are your concern. Browns? I would not feel OK in brown country with a .357 mag.

4 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

You asked about the Taurus Tracker. My experience with it is that it is a decent, mid size frame revolver. 5 shot. Basic, nothing fancy. I've shot 240 grain JHP 44 mag ammo through one and its an OK gun. Nowhere near the quality of Ruger or Smith. Being a smaller revolver it's going to be easier to carry but you're limited to 5 shots, and I'm not sure I'd be using the 300+ grain "bear" ammo in a Taurus.

You'd probably be better off with a 6, 7 or 8 shot Ruger or Smith .357 mag using 180 grain solid "bear" loads from that platform if it's blacks not browns, that are your concern. Browns? I would not feel OK in brown country with a .357 mag.

Wow I am surprised you are speaking so terribly about Taurus, yes it isn’t a S&W, but it doesn’t cost as much or have a higher resale value, it does handle powerful rounds thru it as does the Raging Bull .454 Casual. I have not had the chance to try the Raging Hunter in .460, but have shot the S&W in .460 & .500, and would be comfortable in a Taurus, with a lifetime warranty and materials they are using, but that’s my opinion. 

45 minutes ago, Nimble Fingers SASS# 25439 said:

Wow I am surprised you are speaking so terribly about Taurus, yes it isn’t a S&W, but it doesn’t cost as much or have a higher resale value, it does handle powerful rounds thru it as does the Raging Bull .454 Casual. I have not had the chance to try the Raging Hunter in .460, but have shot the S&W in .460 & .500, and would be comfortable in a Taurus, with a lifetime warranty and materials they are using, but that’s my opinion. 

Don't misunderstand me, I like my Taurus Tracker 44 magnum just fine. And yes, the price was very attractive. Pre-pandemic cost was under $400 new.  But I do think the Ruger Redhawk is 5 times the gun the Taurus is. Taurus warranty or not, I'd rather rely on the Redhawk in big bear country than the Taurus. Just my personal outlook.

That said, I have no experience with the larger frame Raging Bull series of Taurus but I've read and seen mostly favorable reviews on them. But to me, like the big Smith 500, perhaps the big Raging Bull is better suited to hunting than a belt carry gun for personal bear protection. Not quite apples to apples there.

The Taurus is certainly easier to carry but is a 5 shot. Would I feel undergunned with the Taurus? Mostly not really but I'd feel much better with the Ruger. I love the Smiths but still have a hard time wanting to rely on them 100% with that damn unnecessary lock...

47 minutes ago, Dantankerous said:

Don't misunderstand me, I like my Taurus Tracker 44 magnum just fine. And yes, the price was very attractive. Pre-pandemic cost was under $400 new.  But I do think the Ruger Redhawk is 5 times the gun the Taurus is. Taurus warranty or not, I'd rather rely on the Redhawk in big bear country than the Taurus. Just my personal outlook.

That said, I have no experience with the larger frame Raging Bull series of Taurus but I've read and seen mostly favorable reviews on them. But to me, like the big Smith 500, perhaps the big Raging Bull is better suited to hunting than a belt carry gun for personal bear protection. Not quite apples to apples there.

The Taurus is certainly easier to carry but is a 5 shot. Would I feel undergunned with the Taurus? Mostly not really but I'd feel much better with the Ruger. I love the Smiths but still have a hard time wanting to rely on them 100% with that damn unnecessary lock...

I mentioned the others to justify my opinion that a Taurus could handle the pressure of the round you mentioned, not a steady diet mind you, but I am not sure the Ruger or S&W would either. Being a fan of .44 mags, I have a 6” m629, a 1st Gen 8” Anaconda, a Ruger Vaquero and a Desert Eagle. Had a blu3, ported 8” m44 Taurus, but traded that the Vaquero to get into Cowboy Action in the 90’s. Love the way the Remington factory rounds usually put a 6” flame out of the end of the barrels. My goto would be the M629 only because it has the 6” barrel and is double action. And I really want an 8” .460, and was going to with the Taurus because it was over $200 less than the Smith, but now they are a lot closer I would go with the S&W again due to the resale value. 
good talking .44 mag with you!

Taurus... 

I spent five years as a Gun Room Manager for Sportsman's Warehouse, and sent back as many Taurus revolvers for warranty service/repairs than everything else we sold combined. The Judge was the biggest turd of all. Now of course, most of them work, or Taurus would be out of business, but they have a lot more problems than other brands. The autos were pretty reliable - I think I only sent two of them back under warranty, and one was just a sight screw the customer screwed up trying to get it out.

Archived