SASS Wire Forum

Win 24 ejectors

Tom Bullweed

I have a chance to a Win model 24 sxs that is in nice condition.  That model comes with ejectors.

Any of you cowboys have a non-gunsmith adjustment to make these act like extractors? 

Remove springs? 

Remove extractors?

22 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Model 24s do not have ejectors.  They are extractor only.

I gonna have to give this gun a closer look.  They were sprung like ejectors.

Thanks.

I wouldn't recommend it for any BP.

Maybe if you shoot smokeless, I never tried that.

I tried one once many years ago & the extractors wouldn't do much & had to claw the empty hulls out every stage.

Good hunting gun though.

13 hours ago, Tom Bullweed said:

I gonna have to give this gun a closer look.  They were sprung like ejectors.

Thanks.

That is because they are "sprung like ejectors" but they are not ejectors.  On most extractor only guns, for example the Stoeger or SKB 100, the ejector has a rod that is pushed by a cam in the fore end to mechanically push the extractor back.  The Model 24 does not have a mechanically activated extractor.  It relies on two heavy springs to push the extractors back.

DSC_0003.thumb.jpeg.c14972366896bbc9a55e3773a6801b70.jpeg

PA262170.thumb.jpeg.56c00805d713f88b0edb8adad558114b.jpeg

I wonder then would the gun be legal? Several years ago I had a club member who had placed a spring under the extractor to raise the extractor. Not enough to clear empties, just enough to help them extend. I checked and was told that would not be legal.

On 11/25/2022 at 10:53 AM, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

I wonder then would the gun be legal? Several years ago I had a club member who had placed a spring under the extractor to raise the extractor. Not enough to clear empties, just enough to help them extend. I checked and was told that would not be legal.

Wouldn't adding the springs be a modification? This would make it illegal as all modifications not listed are considered illegal.

The extractor on Handi Rifles also uses a spring to push the case out.  These are SASS legal for Plainsman.

On 11/23/2022 at 10:24 PM, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Model 24s do not have ejectors.  They are extractor only.

I have two and both are extractors.

Any of you cowboys with Model 24s shoot them in matches? 

My question is about the legality of the aprung extractors.

I believe the SASS handbook says extractors, not ejectors and pre-1899 design.

Shotgun Requirements

Any side-by-side or single shot shotgun typical of the period from approximately 1860 until 1899 with or without external hammers, having single or double triggers is allowed.

Automatic ejectors are allowed on single shot break action, lever, and pump action shotguns ONLY.

Side-by-side shotguns may not use automatic ejectors.

SHB p.38

My old Win M24 only pulled them out about 3/8".

I never pondered that they were actually an ejector.  LOL

As long as the empty hulls are not EJECTED clear of the chambers, adding a spring to assist in EXTRACTING empties should not be an issue.
(A demo video of exactly what is being discussed would be helpful in getting a firm clarification)

** IMO.

I used a 24 in CAS many yers ago,  Extractors only,  It worked fine except for one issue.  The forcing cones were too short for plastic star crimped shells.  Oh, it shot them ok but the forcing cones were too short for the plastic shells to open fully without extending into the forcing cones.  (The gun was made in the paper shell, roll crimp era).  This resulting in INREASED felt recoil!  If they have not already been extended it will need to be done.  It is not a difficult job for a smith.                                                                     

Archived