Rattlesnake Meat

A poem by Ogden Nash

A gourmet challenged me to eat
A tiny bit of rattlesnake meat,
Remarking, "Don't look horror-stricken,
You'll find it tastes a lot like chicken."

It did.
Now chicken I cannot eat
Because it tastes like rattlesnake meat.

I have told people that snake, frog, alligator, lizard all tastes like chicken with a hint of reptile. I get some funny looks. 

When they ask what a hint of reptile tastes like I say it’s a bit like human meat. :lol:

30 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I have told people that snake, frog, alligator, lizard all tastes like chicken with a hint of reptile. I get some funny looks. 

When they ask what a hint of reptile tastes like I say it’s a bit like human meat. :lol:

I can only speak for snake and alligator, but the rattlesnake I have tasted was more gamey than chicken. Maybe something more akin to a game bird, but not so rich as pheasant. Alligator, on the other hand, to me had a texture like chicken, and a flavor like chicken with a seafood / fish tone to it. 

Personally, I think I'll stick to chicken (prefer BBQed) and leave the gourmet experiments to you guys. 

I did try rattlesnake once.  I found it to be pretty oily and strong - certainly not good.  Kind of a sagebrush smell and flavor.  I tried it and threw the rest away. 

Go into Popeye’s and order the big chicken sandwich.  Sit down and have a couple of bites. Then say rather loudly, “Dang!! This tastes like gopher!”  or some other varmint meat.  Wear you hunting camo or something similar!!

5 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Go into Popeye’s and order the big chicken sandwich.  Sit down and have a couple of bites. The say rather loudly, “Dang!! This tastes like gopher!”  or some other varmint meat.  Wear you hunting camo or something similar!!

Say “tastes like cat”. Or is that only in Chinese restaurants?

2 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Say “tastes like cat”. Or is that only in Chinese restaurants?

There were several Indian restaurants that got closed down a few years ago for serving what turned out to be cat near here.

Archived