SASS Wire Forum

Taylor's TC9 Revolver

Rye Miles #13621

I know this has been discussed but does anyone actually have one?

Question #1.Can you find lead 9mm ammo? I'd like to get one not necessarily for CAS but just to plink with. although I would use it occasionally at a match.

Question #2  are those of you that have one reloading??

Thanks 

I've seen and handled one in person, but not fired it.  It felt just like a standard single-action revolver.  Seemed to be timed well with crisp clicks.

A local shooter has one and enjoys it.  I am not aware if he's used it in a match.

While it might exist, I have never seen cast/coated bullets loaded in factory 9mm ammo.  In order to have SASS legal ammo one would pretty much have to reload.  I can understand the appeal to have a single action revolver in 9mm if you already happen to have a bunch of 9mm semi-autos but for SASS use its pretty hard to beat the 38/357s.

18 minutes ago, July Smith said:

While it might exist, I have never seen cast/coated bullets loaded in factory 9mm ammo.  In order to have SASS legal ammo one would pretty much have to reload.  I can understand the appeal to have a single action revolver in 9mm if you already happen to have a bunch of 9mm semi-autos but for SASS use its pretty hard to beat the 38/357s.

I have 4 Colts in .357 and I load .38's. I'm just considering a 9mm for fun and maybe I'd bring it to a cowboy shoot if I could get lead 9mm. I have one 9mm Semi auto and I don't reload 9mm. If I can't find lead 9mm ammo I'd just use it for fun fun at the range.

20 minutes ago, Two Dot, 14911 said:

Unless I’m mistaken federal make “syntech” ammo that is coated lead.

This https://www.luckygunner.com/handgun/9mm-ammo?jacket_type=2908 While not the least expensive 9mm starting at $0.40/rd for 115 gr., you.can find it on sale sometimes.  Still, much cheaper than factory .38’s.  Given the current cost/scarcity of reloading components, I prefer to buy 9mm and reload .38.  

Bang and Clang sells loaded lead 9mm ammo for “steel challenge” matches, so I suspect the velocity would be higher than what we like for cowboy matches. Since the velocity isn’t listed, you’d have to contact him to see what’s what. 

https://bangandclangllc.com/match-ammunition/

considerably more expensive than the Syntec ammo as well.

Pietta does offer a dual cylinder model that is occasionally available, but I would do a little investigating since a few Pietta models have a transfer bar type safety.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1025835974

Ruger for years has had something in their manuals wanting you to shoot only jacketed ammo in their 9mm cylinders. They also say,  like all most companies not to shoot reloads. I have shot 9mm lead in a 9mm cylinder of a  Ruger Blackhawk convertible and 45 ACP  lead in a Ruger Blackhawk convertible

. Below is the warning from the current manual. It says you could have some lead build up preventing 9mm ammo from going in the chamber.  It sounds like the problem with lots of 38 Special fired and then trying to load 357. You might have to do more frequent 9 mm chamber cleaning.  My Blackhawks worked just fine with lead, but you do need to keep the chambers clean. For someone with out a stockpile of 38 brass and all the free on the ground 9 mm brass shooting 9 mm in the revolvers could be attractive

Notes on Revolvers Chambered for 9mm or 30 Carbine: Because 9mm
cartridges are manufactured worldwide for use in pistols, revolvers, and
submachine firearms, it is possible to encounter cartridges which, when fired,
develop pierced primers. If this occurs, discontinue the use of the particular
brand or type of ammunition. The possibility of a pierced primer is another
compelling reason why a shooter should always wear protective glasses to shield
his eyes. Use only metal jacketed bullets in 9mm and 30 Carbine revolvers. When
a lead bullet is fired, its base expands and a ring of lead is shaved off and
deposited in the shoulder area of the chamber. A build-up of lead rings can
prevent proper chambering of cartridges because 9mm and 30 Carbine cartridge
mouths seat on the chamber shoulders.

Thanks for all the responses, interesting info...............keep 'em coming!!;)

Scarlett Darlin' has coated 9mm bullets, but I'd have to get dies etc.

Would they not be like C45S rounds but for a 9mm? Seems like it would save powder and have better ignition vs longer cases when working up reduced velocity loads. 

8 hours ago, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

Just learned of this.  I wonder if the cylinder could be swapped out for one in 38 spl.  As far as reloading goes, I guess that 38 spl lead bullets could be used instead of the normal jacketed ones.

I would say, "That depends". No one seems to know for sure if the barrels are .355" or .357". If they're .355", I would expect the manufacturer would make some sort of modification to prevent a .38/357 cylinder from being installed. I have an email in to Taylors about it.

(EDIT) Well, that wasn't any help, but I guess he answered my question 100% accurately, as asked. :lol:

TC9.jpg

3 minutes ago, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

Oh boy.  Is that a skinny 9?

Bore diameter is land to land - groove diameter is what I want an answer for. But, in all fairness, I asked for "bore diameter", so... 

ICORE shooters are shooting a lot of the S&W 929 9mm revolvers. A lot of them have found they need to experiment with 9mm bullets and 38 special bullets to get the best performance/accuracy out of their guns. It's a similar situation to 44-40 guns with some doing best with .427 bullets and others with .429- 430 bullets. 

38 colt short is a little smaller capacity than 9mm Luger and 38 S&W is a little more if you are looking for a rimmed cartridge to compare data. As mentioned before, since a lot of SASS shooters are looking for light loads, the 9mm case would be very efficient. One thing to keep in mind if loading 9mm for SASS is to be sure to mark the cases or box so you don't try to shoot them in a  normal 9mm pistol. Mostly likely they will not function the slide,  Generally the revolvers with two cylinders had the barrel size for the larger caliber. 22 mag,  357.   At SASS ranges it really doesn't matter if the barrel is a little big and often testing finds accuracy is about the same. I have seen some people load off the shelf lead  9mm 147 bullets in 38 cases to get the right over all length to work in some 357 rifles and accuracy was plenty good for SASS target ranges. At common distances regular 358 bullets give about the same accuracy in most 38 S&W revolvers even though they are supposed to be .360. I suspect the Taylor revolvers will shoot just fine with plain lead 9mm bullets and if someone runs a test you might find the barrel is 357 or 358.

12 minutes ago, Sinola Kid said:

Rye, ammunition depot sells the lead polymer coated ammo. $333 a 1000.  I have purchased from them before.  Give it a shot.  

I will when I get the TC9, I have it on order.

8 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I will when I get the TC9, I have it on order.

Did you order the all-blued gun with Army grip, or case-colored gun with standard grip?

1 hour ago, Barbwire Bill, SASS #661 said:

Is the Taylor’s action a true 4 click like a colt or does it have some hammer safety added?  Would like a 9mm for plinking but with a traditional action.  Thanks 

That is a good question.  In Taylor's pictures, the all-blued version shows with a base pin fully inserted.  The case-colored version shows a two-position base pin in the forward position.  Uberti's guns with the firing pin safety hammer come with a one-position base pin.  But also, the trigger position on both pictures is somewhat forward, which looks like the Uberti safety system.  So who knows?

Thinking about it, if you have a .38 Special revolver, rather than get a cylinder for 9mm, which would use undersized bullets for the barrel, just run .38 Short Colts which can be loaded with the standard .358" lead bullets.  That's what I run in my derringer, with excellent results.

18 hours ago, Barbwire Bill, SASS #661 said:

Is the Taylor’s action a true 4 click like a colt or does it have some hammer safety added?  Would like a 9mm for plinking but with a traditional action.  Thanks 

It’s made by Pietta so it has 4 clicks 

On 11/23/2022 at 12:41 PM, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Lead bullets for the 9mm do exist.   Off the top of my head, I believe they are .355" in diameter.   I loaded up a buncha these bullets in 9mm for use in my Luger back in the day when you could use those in Wild Bunch.   I'd have to look up the exact load I used.  

Bullets yea not loaded ammo !

Archived