SASS Wire Forum

Billy the Kid

Rye Miles #13621

Happy birthday Billy, you were either a serial killer or a misunderstood youth!

November 23, 1859 

17 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Happy birthday Billy, you were either a serial killer or a misunderstood youth!

November 23, 1859 

Different Times ,  Watched a show the other night Something to the effect of Serial killers of the old west , named several and he would have been mild by some . Many dream about the romance of  living in that Era . Tough Times , lots of know graves around here killed over claim , unknown found shot under bridge , and those are the known ones .  Happy Birthday Billy . 

20 minutes ago, PowerRiverCowboy said:

Different Times ,  Watched a show the other night Something to the effect of Serial killers of the old west , named several and he would have been mild by some . Many dream about the romance of  living in that Era . Tough Times , lots of know graves around here killed over claim , unknown found shot under bridge , and those are the known ones .  Happy Birthday Billy . 

He did want revenge for the killing of his boss Henry Tunstall so I can forgive him for that. That whole law enforcement group in that town was pretty corrupt. What he did after that I don't know but I really think he was probably an okay kid until that.

The “Wild West” is both romanticized and vilified for the supposed excessive amount of violence and killing that we’re led to believe was the rule of the day.

You we’re probably safer in Dodge City or Tombstone in the 1870s and 80s than in parts of New York City, Chicago, or Boston, let alone New Orleans or Baltimore!!

The “Penny Dreadfuls” and other exagerated, embellished publications, including many eastern newspapers are responsible for the less than factual impressions that have become accepted as the truth by most people today.

I found this............How many murders were there in Dodge City (Kansas) in 1878?

100? 200? 300? More?

Not even close to the truth in this classic "Wild West" town in the heyday
of the "violent, shoot-em-up, West."

'Five' (5), is the correct answer!

I also found 117 Homicides in New York City in 1882

As illustrated above, there were probably more murders in New York City in any one year during that period than in all of the “Wild West”!!!

6 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I found this............How many murders were there in Dodge City (Kansas) in 1878?

100? 200? 300? More?

Not even close to the truth in this classic "Wild West" town in the heyday
of the "violent, shoot-em-up, West."

'Five' (5), is the correct answer!

I also found 117 Homicides in New York City in 1882

Percentages of the population in each place?

7 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I heard Billy the Kid was fond of whistling sad ballads…

That was a great scene!! If that didn't happen it darn well should have!!:P

11 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

The percentages are less important than the perception in this case!  It’s like crossing the street!  Folks made it sound like just crossing the street in a “Wild West” town was likely to get you killed when in fact you were far more likely to be killed or subjected to violence in one of those eastern cities than in even an “end of track” town in those days.

23 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

1,206,299 in NYC in 1880....117 homicides

996 in Dodge City in 1880......5 Homicides 

Blackwater is right about perception, to this day we hear about the Wild Wild West but never hear about NYC back in the day!

40 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

How about if we look at it like this? 117 homicides in NYC comes to about one every 3 days in a year. 5 homicides in Dodge City comes to about one every 73 days! Hmmm......Yea the Wild Wild West!:P

Or, .0096% of the population in NYC vs .5 % in Dodge City.  If NYC had the same percentage of homicides it would have been over 6,000 victims.   The Dodge City number has to be incorrect.  I saw Marshal Dillon kill three guys on one show only yesterday.  And that was in the second season!  :D

Personally I don't fault Billy the Kid for most of his killings, even that of the two sheriff's deputies at the Lincoln County Courthouse. He ran afoul of extremely corrupt people his entire life, was ultimately screwed over by the NM governor and sentenced to hang, and at that point he had nothing left to lose.

12 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I suspect the number of people killed in Dodge City in 1878 was accurately reported.

I highly doubt the number of murders in NYC was even remptely accurate. 

14 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

The “Wild West” is both romanticized and vilified for the supposed excessive amount of violence and killing that we’re led to believe was the rule of the day.

You we’re probably safer in Dodge City or Tombstone in the 1870s and 80s than in parts of New York City, Chicago, or Boston, let alone New Orleans or Baltimore!!

The “Penny Dreadfuls” and other exagerated, embellished publications, including many eastern newspapers are responsible for the less than factual impressions that have become accepted as the truth by most people today.

When I first started in college I had an early American history class. The teacher once said it was actually safer statistically to travel in a wagon train from NY to CA than it was to take a walk through Central Park once a night in NY for a week . This was in the early 80’s. He always said logging camps were some of the most dangerous places to be. 
He had allot of news paper clippings from the western expansion he would show on the overhead projector, I remember one was from dodge city where the law was shooting it out across the street with some outlaws and both sides ran out of ammo so the outlaws agreed to leave town and the law agreed not to pursue. His theory was ammunition was so expensive for the common man that not many people were good shots because they simply couldn’t afford to practice. 
I remember reading where Wild Bill would mt and reload his pistol’s every night. Don’t know if it’s true or not but maybe that daily practice is why he was considered to be so deadly. 

On 11/23/2022 at 7:52 AM, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Blackwater is right about perception, to this day we hear about the Wild Wild West but never hear about NYC back in the day!

Actually there's a lot written about violent old New York, but not near as many movies or legends about it. But Gangs of New York is one. 

Archived