SASS Wire Forum

Pit bull bit landlord

Trigger Mike

I took my sons deer to be processed and in conversation it came up I am a land lord and the processor said he had 2 houses next door that he needed to sell.  

I went out to see them today and one of the tenants had a pit bull puppy tied up in the house by a small cage.  He seemed friendly enough but curious.  

when we were coming back from the second house the toddler was playing in the front yard with the puppy.  It ran to the back yard where we were but was still friendly.  He sniffed us and would stand up using our legs and came just past my knees, but still seemed friendly.  So much so the owner land lord picked up the puppy like you would any friendly puppy.  Upon doing so the pit bull clamped down on his hand , drawing a lot of blood from a deep puncture at the base of his thumb in the meaty part.  He threw him down and the dog kept trying to chew on the side of its mouth like a piece of food was stuck there.  

the landlord told them to get rid of the dog before it kills their toddler.  They said they would look into it but didn’t apologize.  I think I might pass those houses up.

Damn straight.

When I first got Big Brown Dog, she had previously been owned by people that let her do what she wanted, so she knew she was boss of the world. I took her to the vet to get shots.

So this strange guy stabs her three or four times and then squirts something in her nose, and then he bends down to pick her up off the floor and put her on the table, and she told him in no uncertain terms that he was not going to pick her up. He told me that since she was my dog, I should pick her up and put her on the table. She told me there weren't no way that was going to happen, and I needed to just back myself away from her.

The point of that story, is that picking up strange dogs can be hazardous to your health.

The dog obviously didn't want to be picked up! He was friendly and playful until he picked him up! Landlord's fault. I run into a lot of different dogs in people's house in my piano tuning business and I'll pet them and even play with them if they want but I would never pick them up! What an idiot!

Yep!!  Dumb move!  When you pick a dog that is strange to you, you’re taking away its control.  Even a very docile canine will feel threatened and likely respond violently in order to protect itself!!

29 minutes ago, Trigger Mike said:

I’m wondering if the puppy has learned the taste of blood now and might become a hazard.

Highly doubtful.

When I was shoeing horses full time. I had this customer that had a Rottweiler and that dog did not like me or he was just doing his job, I don't know. Anyway the first time I showed up at her house that dog kept an eye on me and growled every once in a while. After I finished trimming the hooves of the first horse, I gave that dog some hoof, after he finished that price he came up and gave me a lick on the face. From that point on that dog would meet me half way down their drive and as soon as I opened my door he would climb in the cab and sit on my lap, till I told him we had to go get the horses

17 minutes ago, The Shoer 27979 said:

When I was shoeing horses full time. I had this customer that had a Rottweiler and that dog did not like me or he was just doing his job, I don't know. Anyway the first time I showed up at her house that dog kept an eye on me and growled every once in a while. After I finished trimming the hooves of the first horse, I gave that dog some hoof, after he finished that price he came up and gave me a lick on the face. From that point on that dog would meet me half way down their drive and as soon as I opened my door he would climb in the cab and sit on my lap, till I told him we had to go get the horses

No way that I would have ever given that dog a chance to get close to my face. No way.

7 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

No way that I would have ever given that dog a chance to get close to my face. No way.

lol, when a Rottweiler decides to kiss your face, you'r going to get kissed  :P

I volunteer with a dog rescue and so far, we've had 5 male & female Rottweilers come through.  All of them were intelligent, calm, affectionate and really easy to handle.  Rottweilers are another breed that don't deserve the bad reputation they seem to have.

I will say it's a bit disconcerting to look UP at a Rottweiler when he is standing on his back two legs.  I'm 5'11" and my guess is that standing on his back legs he was at least 6'3".  

On edit:  It's also hysterical watching a Rottweiler who has it's tail docked try to wag the nub.

Archived