SASS Wire Forum

Cowboy-action on 'Bones'

Tom Bullweed

Flipping channels tonight and came across an episode of Bones (Dec 10, 2015) based on a cowboy-action contest.  Not a normal SASS set-up: no timer operator, no shotgun, but two pistolas and a lever gun shot in scenarios.

Who knew?

Castle also had a cowboy shooting episode.
I liked it better for some reason. ;)

2F306327-EE05-414E-8CAD-78B2D6B74D8F.jpeg

2 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Castle also had a cowboy shooting episode.
I liked it better for some reason. ;)

2F306327-EE05-414E-8CAD-78B2D6B74D8F.jpeg

It took three or four times, looking at this picture, before I noticed that she’s only wearing one pistol!!

16 minutes ago, Tom Bullweed said:

I have to find the Castle episode

The Castle episode has the resident of New York State going to Arizona and while he is there he buys two Single Action Armies. No problem. "Arizona is an open carry state. These are available for sale at our gift shop."

At the end of the episode the bad guy gets up and is walking out of the saloon. He's going to go to Mexico. Castle stands up and tells him that he cannot let the bad guy escape. The bad guy takes the loop off the hammer of his gun, and then they talk for about 5 minutes about how Castle doesn't have a chance but he's still going to draw on the bad guy. Then, and only then, does Castle take the loop off the hammer of his gun. If I was the bad guy and the good guy was planning to stop me using lethal force if necessary, and had not yet taken the loop off of his gun, when he started to I woulda shot him.

And then there was the lovely scene where the two of them are facing each other (Castle and Beckett, not Castle and the bad guy) out in the desert, taking their clothes off. A rattlesnake comes crawling between Castle's feet, so Beckett, who is a fairly good shot with a Glock, quick draws her single action and fans off three shots at the snake, from the hip, without blowing her husband's foot off.

I enjoyed it, but it was so stupid. :D

There's a show on PBS, Today's Wild West, I think. A month or so ago there was a long segment on SASS at a match in southern California.  It was pretty good. They always get some things a little wrong. Exagerate a bit. But still a surprise to see. They've had other very good shows on various topics in western states.

The Bones episode was a lot of fun, and a bunch of SoCal shooters made their way into it, as background.  The gun handling was atrocious (except on the part of the female lead, who requested a round of personal training, (and her subsequent shooting showed it.)

It was a fun couple of days, though!

Cheers,

FJT

IMG_5863.JPG

IMG_5859.JPG

IMG_5854.JPG

IMG_5985.JPG

IMG_5989.JPG

It’s entertainment guys. Don’t dive in too deep. :lol:

2 hours ago, sassnetguy50 said:

@Frederick Jackson TurnerWhat is she shooting with three revolvers?

1243A2DB-BC81-4FA9-9548-B1532BD3C960.jpeg

Anything she wants.

On 11/22/2022 at 9:41 PM, Tom Bullweed said:

Flipping channels tonight and came across an episode of Bones (Dec 10, 2015) based on a cowboy-action contest.  Not a normal SASS set-up: no timer operator, no shotgun, but two pistolas and a lever gun shot in scenarios.

Who knew?

Me!!!

You will see Fredrick Jackson Turner, as well as a couple of others in that episode. Fun.

Slick Mclade and family have an episode on Duck Dynasty, as well.

2 hours ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

CAS...or Fast Draw?

More of an old west re-enactment scenario.

Archived