SASS Wire Forum

Dick Dastardly

Dallas McBoomboom

That's the site I was at (I still have a browser window open)  I just tried it this morning, and none of the links were working, and hadn't been for a couple days.  Now they are. I guess it's trying to make me look like a horse's rear end. 

3 hours ago, Dallas McPewPew said:

That's the site I was at (I still have a browser window open)  I just tried it this morning, and none of the links were working, and hadn't been for a couple days.  Now they are. I guess it's trying to make me look like a horse's rear end. 

You're not alone.  Been trying for over a year to order a couple moulds. No one ever answers the phone and all emails go unanswered. Some days the website works others it doesn't. 

Sadly, Sir Richard is no longer in business.  DD did a couple of short posts announcing he was backing out and thank you very much for our business.  Then dropped the Tower of Power and Big Lube business.

We're on our own.

28 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Sadly, Sir Richard is no longer in business.  DD did a couple of short posts announcing he was backing out and thank you very much for our business.  Then dropped the Tower of Power and Big Lube business.

We're on our own.

Dang, I never saw any of that, but it's easy to miss posts. Thanks for the info pardner. 

I liked my Big Lube Snakebite mold so much I bought a second to have a backup.  Bang and Clang sells their version of a Tower of Power if anyone needs one.

image.png.39012c4cc1b1e31a562488f8daa9a96e.png

1 hour ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

I liked my Big Lube Snakebite mold so much I bought a second to have a backup.  Bang and Clang sells their version of a Tower of Power if anyone needs one.

image.png.39012c4cc1b1e31a562488f8daa9a96e.png

Powder, Inc. sells a nice cylinder loader as well. I really like mine.

image.png.76f6afc28da4742ade48d305e9b4ed2c.png

11 minutes ago, Dallas McPewPew said:

If the website still allows things to be put in cart tomorrow, I might gamble a couple hundred bucks on molds.  Never seen a hearse pulling a trailer, right? I'll keep the thread posted, thanks for all the input, gents. 

My browser warned me that the online ordering page was not secure possibly infected with a virus.  That is why I was calling and emailing.

11 hours ago, Dallas McPewPew said:

If the website still allows things to be put in cart tomorrow, I might gamble a couple hundred bucks on molds.  Never seen a hearse pulling a trailer, right? I'll keep the thread posted, thanks for all the input, gents. 

Yes! Please let us know what happens if you go through with your plan. I've been holding off on ordering one of his 6-cavity .454 round ball molds due to the non-communication concern.

12 hours ago, Dallas McPewPew said:

49 minutes ago, Will Kane said:

Yes! Please let us know what happens if you go through with your plan. I've been holding off on ordering one of his 6-cavity .454 round ball molds due to the non-communication concern.

If he is no longer in businees why would you still try and order from the web site?????

If Dick Dastardly is out of business, does anyone else currently stock Big Lube bullet molds?  Some day mine will wear out and I'll want to replace it . . . .

19 minutes ago, Woody Shootem, SASS # 24816 said:

If Dick Dastardly is out of business, does anyone else currently stock Big Lube bullet molds?  Some day mine will wear out and I'll want to replace it . . . .

I have large lube groove style molds from both NOE and Accurate.  

4 hours ago, Cowtown Scout, SASS #53540 L said:

If he is no longer in businees why would you still try and order from the web site?????

There are still several items on the website that show in stock, my hope is that he's just left it up to unload whatever stock he has left. If it accepts payment and he never sends anything, I'll dispute the charges and have them reversed. Worth the gamble, I reckon. 

I have a 44 cal Mav Dutchman mould. At some point someone posted a chart that showed a bunch of moulds and I was surprised to see a handfull of them that appeared would carry quite a lot of bp lube similar to the Big Lube bullets.

Accurate has a number of molds very similar to the Big Lube bullets, and in higher quality in my opinion. The ones I had made by them carry about 3 times the lube of the big lube bullet. 

Accurate mold 43-202R at the bottom of page 15 of their catalog. Compared to the dimensions I measured on a Big Lube 44 from Whyte leather that I had gotten a few years back. The groove on the Accurate bullet is both significantly deeper and wider. It actually Carrie’s enough lube to leave a film on the muzzle of a 24 inch barrel. 

11 hours ago, Buckshot Sheridan said:

Accurate mold 43-202R at the bottom of page 15 of their catalog. Compared to the dimensions I measured on a Big Lube 44 from Whyte leather that I had gotten a few years back. The groove on the Accurate bullet is both significantly deeper and wider. It actually Carrie’s enough lube to leave a film on the muzzle of a 24 inch barrel. 

I use an Accurate mold for 44-40  that I think is a Springfield Slim design (43-215c I think,  although I'm not on my shop to check), it's very similar in profile to the one you pictured.  I'm trying to get my hands on a PRS 45 and a 38 Snakebite right now. 

The Accurate catalog shows that 3 of the 43-202r molds have been sold. A couple of diagrams over 43-205? specifically mentions black powder usage and they've sold 69 of them. Look again at that Mav Dutchman bullet fir a comparison.

I'm not saying that the 43-202r bullet doesn't work well with black powder. I mentioned that several of the accurate designs looked like they would be good for BP in addition to the Big Lube bullets. But 3 times as much lube as the Big Lube? I don't think so. That lube groove doesn't appear wider and deeper to me. Certainly not deeper.

Just now, Buckshot Sheridan said:

The drawings on the Accurate site are not to scale. 

Ok. Show a picture of that bullet. After seeing the actual Mav Dutchman bullet, not a diagram, picture what a bullet of the same approximate weight would have to look like to as you say hold 3 times as much lube.

Archived