SASS Wire Forum

59 Years Ago

Okiepan

3 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Do you remember where you were and what you were doing when you heard the news?  Do you remember your emotions at the time?  :FlagAm:

I was in 4th grade with Mrs. Hawkes and it came over the school PA system. 

Third grade with Mrs Wilkins. Didn't mean anything to me.

All I knew about Kennedy was I remembered my brother coming home in 60, from first grade, chanting

Nixon, Nixon, in the garbage can

Kennedy, Kennedy, he's our man

Don't recall anything about that day or the following year or so. The only thing I remember from the "Camelot" era is the constant sonic booms of the fighter jets flying, out to or in from, the Gulf of Mexico.

Prior conspiracy theories were insignificant after the JFK murder. I can't remember what the % is, but many Americans still don't believe the Warren Report or subsequent follow ups.  I think I know what happened, but it may not coincide with what others believe.

Sad day for America.

Yes I remember. No, I don't believe the Warren report, and we may never know exactly what actually happened. 

I've been to Dealy plaza and studied what information is out there. If the shots came from the 7th floor, the shots did not occur at the most oportune time.

( Just one of the reasons that I don't believe the Warren report)

WR

I was four.  I remember Mom and Dad being terribly upset, but it was several years later before I connected the dots and found out why.  

I was a stock broker with Bache & Company in Chicago. A customer of mine was a reporter with AP. She was on assignment in Texas. She saw it and called me to ask what to do. I told her to give me permission to buy US Steel on margin.

I did that and  called my best clients for the same permission.

I also did that for every client and relative that I had discretion. 

That was my biggest day so far. 

A few minutes later the market closed.

All of my clients had huge profits. 

Emotion is useless in the cattle business and in the investment banking business!!!

:-)

I was sitting in the Student Union at college playing cards when the announcement came on the speaker system.  Because pranks using the system were common, we were joking about it.  Shocking when it all came in.  Strangely enough, at a bull session the night before, some of us had been talking about assassination as a political tool.  I had called the rifle and caliber, but the superior German version.  One student who had been there who had dual citizenship, was carrying his passports and cash for days after.  Nothing came of it, and of course we were in no way involved, but even in those days, you never knew.

I was in civics class and thought it was a silly joke too bad it wasn't.

I was in 7th grade in downstairs hallway of the grade school working on a special project with some others. A girl came down and said Kennedy was shot. We all thought it was a joke at first. We had to go back to our classroom and sit quietly. The teacher, who was a staunch Democrat, came in, walked to the chalkboard and just scribbled "JFK is dead" and walked back out of the room crying like a baby. No more classes that day. 

3rd grade, Minatare, Nebraska lunchtime playing football on the play ground. Principal came out and had everybody go back into the cafeteria for the announcement and then we were all sent home. I remember watching Oswald getting shot by Jack Ruby on live tv and then of course the lying in state and the funeral procession for JFK.

I remember three events that changed us as a country. 

1. When JFK was assassinated, I was in a high school English class.  It came over the intercom.  We all were dismissed for the day.

2. Space Shuttle Challenger failure.  I was at my desk at work.   My secretary came in and gave me the news.  She had wet eyes.  It shortly became contagious. 

3.  911 Assault on the Twin Towers:  I was driving, enroute to work.   When I arrived, my boss sent everyone home, not yet knowing the extent of the attack on our country. 

All three of these connected us emotionally and united our country, at least for a time.  

8 hours ago, Wrangler Rich SASS #42157 said:

Yes I remember. No, I don't believe the Warren report, and we may never know exactly what actually happened. 

I've been to Dealy plaza and studied what information is out there. If the shots came from the 7th floor, the shots did not occur at the most oportune time.

( Just one of the reasons that I don't believe the Warren report)

WR

You should read Stephen hunters third bullet.  While fiction it has enough facts that it could have been possible. 

I was working my way through college as a stocker in a local grocery.  I remember the shock that went through the store and the instant and almost unbelievable rage that I felt that something like this could happen in my country in 1963.

I seldom lose control of my temper but I came close that day.

8 hours ago, Still hand Bill said:

You should read Stephen hunters third bullet.  While fiction it has enough facts that it could have been possible. 

A very, very good read.

Fiction, yes. It does revolve around reality and opens up a whole new world of ideas and possibilities.

I was 1 year & 10 months old. But, believe it or not, I remember watching the funeral on TV. I recall being excited about the horses. I also remember that little boy saluting - JFK Jr saluting his father’s coffin as it passed. 

Edit: I have never believed the Warren Commission nor many of the theories propagated by the establishment media. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/22/2022 at 9:11 PM, Still hand Bill said:

Still Hand, I just received my hard cover copy of The 3rd bullet. Thanks for suggesting it! Can't wait to read it.

WR

Archived