SASS Wire Forum

There must be a LOT of lead out on the prairies!

Buckshot Bear

Reminds me of a conversation I had with a Cowboy shooter one time that was critical of the shooting sports using lead bullets and putting "all that lead in the ground". I asked him where he thought all that lead came from in the first place.

kR

When I was little our neighbor hooked his team to a wagon and was picking up buffalo bones. I picked up a lot of the horns and still have them. Some think I am nuts for keeping them but they date back to hide hunter days and I am a collector of old stuff

1 hour ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

What's sickening is that not only was it done for profit, but also to try and starve out the plains Indians.

You are right, they tried to starve them into submission.

Those of us whose families suffered from the cruel stone aged Indians were happily supportive of the Buffalo slaughter and the subsequent free up of the plains for cattle raising.

Just now, Mud Marine,SASS#54686 Life said:

Those of us whose families suffered from the cruel stone aged Indians were happily supportive of the Buffalo slaughter and the subsequent free up of the plains for cattle raising.

Yes what a nuisance those humans and their families and their way of life living on their land for all that time must have been for your family. 

How glorious the anilhation of those "cruel stone aged Indians" and the massacre and almost extinction of those herds that had wandered the great plains for millennium....something to be so proud of. 

The annihilation of the bison was a wonderful achievement.

There was no way for us to live with their deadly huge herds.

Further, their extinction allowed us to control the savage, primitive, vicious Indians. 

The same, unrealistic whiners that fawn all over wolves as they kill indiscriminently agonize over Indians from the safety of their eastern suburban cheek to jewelry ho.es.

Right or wrong, everyone has a right to an opinion.  That being said, one must remember to view the past through the lenses of those who lived in that time period.  To do so through the view of our current time period is a fallacy.  

Happy Thanksgiving 

Gringo

Although I know I would be savage and vicious if somebody came along kicking me off my land and taking my food. Who the hell died and left us to take over the whole damn country. Just saying. Not necessarily taking sides here as it was a couple centuries or so ago!

3 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Although I know I would be savage and vicious if somebody came along kicking me off my land and taking my food. Who the hell died and left us to take over the whole damn country. Just saying. Not necessarily taking sides here as it was a couple centuries or so ago!

The Irony of that post :)  umm someone took that land you call yours before you had it .

1 minute ago, PowerRiverCowboy said:

The Irony of that post :)  umm someone took that land you call yours before you had it .

And everywhere on the planet by every race, color or even creed, one people took "empty" land or land of other peoples. Look at what is happening in South Africa, confiscation of developed land without compensation.  A rancher friend's Great Grandfather still had Indian problems here in Montana.  

4 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

And everywhere on the planet by every race, color or even creed, one people took "empty" land or land of other peoples. Look at what is happening in South Africa, confiscation of developed land without compensation.  A rancher friend's Great Grandfather still had Indian problems here in Montana.  

Exactly My point , at this point calling someones land theirs , while condemn another action is well pot calling the kettle black . 

I think taking over the country from the Indians was inevitable. Which is a different issue than wiping out the buffalo herds. Fortunately, they didn't quite become extinct, unlike the passenger pigeon. Or as the migratory waterfowl would have been if meat hunting hadn't been outlawed. Much can also be said about the salmon run issues we're having.

Different issues, as I said.

20 minutes ago, PowerRiverCowboy said:

You're so right! That I guess was sorta my point. Someone that had no right just took it! At least I paid dearly for it and now I get to pay dearly to the Guberment to keep it!

Unfortunately conquest is human nature, and we've been doing it since the very beginning of our time on this planet. The slaughter of the buffalo happened, and so did the subjugation of the American Indian. It's nothing to be proud of. We can't do anything about what happened centuries ago, but we can try to be better people than our ancestors and respect the right of every culture to exist and flourish.

Archived