SASS Wire Forum

Best way to stretch leather

Widder, SASS #59054

What are the best ways to stretch leather?

I have a SG belt with snug shell holders.  Its a double shell holder that is a little snug for my preference.

I've thought of wrapping masking tape around the shells to give them a slight enlargement.   Then dampen the shell holder

and place the shells in the loops and let the leather dry.

Would this method help stretch it up a tad?    Or is there a better method.

Thanks

..........Widder

Haven't had the problem, but there are a variety of solutions to soften leather.  Tandy has one you dilute with water and use in a clean spray bottle.  I would make up some pieces of dowl rod and chamfer the leading edge.  A thought that just came to mind is the expanding rubber plugs you can get at the hardware store.  Tighten the screw, it expands, you could test and measure, count the turns you need. Been making my own leather gear for a long time, mostly always works.  Good Luck with it!

Widder! What you’re suggesting will work fine. Just use vinyl tape instead of masking tape.  Masking tape doesn’t like water and is liable to break down.

Happy Thanksgiving!!

Be careful what you wish for…I think too snug is better than too loose.

If it were me, I would just put the shells in the holders, immerse the whole belt in COLD water for a few hours to ensure the leather is completely soaked, then hang the belt leaving the shells in it and allow drying slowly over two or 3 days.  You don’t want any enlargement or shrinkage, just a perfect fit.

But you are a better competitor than I, so trust your judgment.

I cut a 7/8 in wooden dowel to stretch a web belt that was too tight.   Please remove before matches.     GW

On an older belt that has single leather shotgun loops, I made enough dummy shells (no wad or anything) and wrapped a couple layers of painters tape to the end.  I leave those dummy shells in the loops anytime the belt is not being used.

As that is a belt I keep for loaners, it doesn't see much use.  That said, we loaned it out this past weekend and it worked well.

Your idea will work great Widder. If you get em to loose and want to shrink em just wet them with rubbing alcohol. For stretching no need to soak the whole belt just wet the loops with a cloth and insert shells with plastic or something wrapped around them and then let the belt dry.

kR

I have used isopropal alcohol to stretch leather. Just dampen slightly, insert an unfired shell and let dry. If it is still too tight, repeat but add electrical tape one layer at a time till you get the desired result.

We leather makers use water to wet fit holsters. Widder your method will work, just don't get the leather too wet.

The only problem with isopropyl alcohol is that it can dry out the leather.  I have seen leather loops crack because they have been dried out by using too much alcohol on them.  

Archived