SASS Wire Forum

RL550 Spent Primer Collector Cotter Pin

John Ruth

Does anyone happen to know the size of the cotter pin on a Dillon RL550C for the spent primer hopper or whatever it's called? I haven't measured but I'm thinking it can't be bigger than 1/32". Need to get some from amazon if possible or shooting this weekend is a bust!

image.png.ae168d0c4d3f1f84f93ed22250f6d1b3.png

Straighten out a paper clip and use the wire from that. Bend one end to 90 degrees. Feed it through the piece.  Bend other end to 90 degrees and trim. One and done. 

40 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

A cut off straight pin will probably work till you can get to a good hardware store. Most have all kinds of cotter pins.

I replaced mine with a straight pin about ten years ago and haven’t had reason to look at it since. 

1 hour ago, Too Tall Bob said:

Straighten out a paper clip and use the wire from that. Bend one end to 90 degrees. Feed it through the piece.  Bend other end to 90 degrees and trim. One and done. 

+100

1 hour ago, Too Tall Bob said:

Thanks for that. Wasn't even sure we had a paperclip in the house... Luckily found one. Problem solved.

23 minutes ago, Michigan Slim said:

I used a #4 crappie hook. 

That's a Hoosier for ya!

36 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Apparently a lot of those pins disappear.:lol:

I bought two used Dillion 550 presses and both had the pin bent. I have a cotter pin in mine but the paper clip or finish nail sounds better. The fish hook sounds like trouble but I like the sentiment. 

1 hour ago, Cholla said:

I bought two used Dillion 550 presses and both had the pin bent. I have a cotter pin in mine but the paper clip or finish nail sounds better. The fish hook sounds like trouble but I like the sentiment. 

I looked around for something to use. Had a few things going against me at the time. My wife had just cleaned my garage -couldn't find a darn thing. And... I wasn't going to ask my wife to help! :D I had a hook handy, liked the stiffness, thinking it wouldn't get all bent up over time. Cut off the belly of the hook, ran it in and bent the end. The eye kept it from going through. Works like a champ many years later.

6 minutes ago, Michigan Slim said:

I looked around for something to use. Had a few things going against me at the time. My wife had just cleaned my garage -couldn't find a darn thing. And... I wasn't going to ask my wife to help! :D I had a hook handy, liked the stiffness, thinking it wouldn't get all bent up over time. Cut off the belly of the hook, ran it in and bent the end. The eye kept it from going through. Works like a champ many years later.

Gold or plain? I wouldn't want the pin to be too fancy!

Archived