SASS Wire Forum

Southeast Open Magnificent Seven (updated)

Captain Bill Burt

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who's coming (and my best guess of what category they'll be in). 30!

Badlands Bob Gunfighter

John E. Law Open

Little Shyster Junior

Iron Cowboy Open

Captain Bill Burt Open

Shootin Sharyn Ladies Open

Palmetto Traveler FC

Fretless Gunfighter

Fox Creek Stitcher Ladies Open

Uncle Ethan Gunfighter

Cahawba Kid FC

Fast Eddie Silver Senior

Justified 

Bogus Jim Open

Yohan Open

Saphire Rose Ladies Open

Bushrod Open

Max Payne Silver Senior

Ophelia Payne Lady Silver Senior

Tennessee Williams Duelist

Mister Badly Gunfighter

Diamond Jake

Randy Saint Eagle Duelist

Preacherman Gunfighter

Tennessee Tombstone Gunfighter

Whiskey Creek Johnson Gunfighter

Lucky Lead Pepper Duelist

The OTJ

Chickie Winsome

High Cotton Kitty LFC

2 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Does this mean I should count you guys in as duelists?

I'm going to 2 so far. Gotta talk my better half into signing up for a third... so May B Knott LOL but I'm gonna try.

The suggestion has been made that when calculating rank points we only use participants in the Open, not overall rank points.  That would eliminate the variability introduced by different shooters at different matches.  For example, if @Tennessee williamswas ranked 12th overall at TN State, but was the top Magnificent Seven shooter then he would be ranked #1 in the Open for TN State.

Thoughts....?

34 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

The suggestion has been made that when calculating rank points we only use participants in the Open, not overall rank points.  That would eliminate the variability introduced by different shooters at different matches.  For example, if @Tennessee williamswas ranked 12th overall at TN State, but was the top Magnificent Seven shooter then he would be ranked #1 in the Open for TN State.

Thoughts....?

That makes sense to me. Question. Since we would be dealing with rank points, would it matter that TNState is a 12 stage match and the others are 10 stage matches? To me, it shouldn't matter since we are going by overall match placement to get the rank point and not adding up each individual stage to get the rank point. Correct or naw?

37 minutes ago, Tennessee williams said:

...we are going by overall match placement to get the rank point and not adding up each individual stage to get the rank point. Correct or naw?

I'd think that's the way for overall award, but the category award should be the rank in category from the state matches.

Top Frontier Cartridge might be 25th overall rank at Tennessee but 12th at Alabama.  (For example).

20 hours ago, BushRod Jones said:

I’m in and rounding up some more from GRG.  Bushrod 

I'm convinced.  Check will be in the mail soon.  Bill, I plan to shoot my state matches as Silver Senior Frontier Cartridge (or FC if not enough age based entrants) so plan on me for same category in MAG7.

35 minutes ago, Diamond Jake said:

I'm convinced.  Check will be in the mail soon.  Bill, I plan to shoot my state matches as Silver Senior Frontier Cartridge (or FC if not enough age based entrants) so plan on me for same category in MAG7.

Glad you're in!  I'm not sure we'll have enough to rank within categories, still cogitating on that whole approach.  So, if you're shooting Silver Senior Frontier Cartridge your options are

1. Open, 2. Frontier Cartridge, or 3. Silver Senior Open.

1 hour ago, Diamond Jake said:

I'd think that's the way for overall award, but the category award should be the rank in category from the state matches.

Top Frontier Cartridge might be 25th overall rank at Tennessee but 12th at Alabama.  (For example).

That doesn't work by my math but I've been wrong before. To me, it would almost have to be 2 scores for each M7(my nomenclature for magnificent 7).

Example: 

Randy St Eagle finishes 7th overall at TN State which happens to be 1st overall for M7 participants. He gets 1 rank point for duelist category and seperately gets 1 rank point toward the overall. 

Dr Pincussion finishes 221st at TN State and happens to be TN states FC Champion so is 1st in FC category. He gets 1 rank point for FC category. He happens to be 37th ranked M7 participant so gets 37 rank points toward the overall.

Or is that what you were saying? Squirrel!

1 hour ago, Tennessee williams said:

Example: 

Randy St Eagle finishes 7th overall at TN State which happens to be 1st overall for M7 participants. He gets 1 rank point for duelist category and seperately gets 1 rank point toward the overall. 

Dr Pincussion finishes 221st at TN State and happens to be TN states FC Champion so is 1st in FC category. He gets 1 rank point for FC category. He happens to be 37th ranked M7 participant so gets 37 rank points toward the overall.

Well, first off, no way is Randy finishing way down at 7th at TN State.  He will be in top 5.

But yeah, I guess the rest of your explanation is what I was figuring.

5 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Thoughts....?

I feel like it’s the only way to keep non-M7 shooters from skewing the results. Overall shooters could be a lot more at some State Matches than others. So if we used Overall Rank and if Tennessee was the Top M7 shooter at one  match but 20th overall out of 220 shooters and I the 10th M7 shooter and 15th Overall at a match with 100 shooters I would be ahead of him. That wouldn’t be right!

Just like homeless Jimmy on the radio, “that’s my opinion and it ought to be yours!”

Randy

4 hours ago, Diamond Jake said:

Hmm.

2 hours ago, Tennessee williams said:

That doesn't work by my math but I've been wrong before. To me, it would almost have to be 2 scores for each M7(my nomenclature for magnificent 7).

Example: 

Again hmm.  So, I'm not the sharpest tack in the box, but I tend to know when I hear good ideas.

So, for the Overall buckles - Open, Ladies Open, Silver Senior Open and Ladies Silver Senior Open. we'll use everyone's Overall M7 (thank you TW) State Match Rankings.  For categories we'll use M7 State Match category rankings.  

I'll post all the numbers as the State Matches post their scores, so everyone will know where they stand after each match.  Keep in mind, higher scores could drop off as people exceed three matches and start to drop their worst results. 

Any thoughts on tie breakers?  It's possible one guy could be top M7 shooter at three matches (say Mississippi, Kentucky, and Tennessee), and someone else be top M7 shooter in three other matches (Florida, South Carolina, Alabama), neither of them shooting the same matches.  Maybe rank the state matches based on the number of M7 participants, and in the unlikely event of a tie, the tie breaker would be based on winning matches with more M7 participants.

43 minutes ago, Diamond Jake said:

Any thoughts on tie breakers?  It's possible one guy could be top M7 shooter at three matches (say Mississippi, Kentucky, and Tennessee), and someone else be top M7 shooter in three other matches (Florida, South Carolina, Alabama), neither of them shooting the same matches.  Maybe rank the state matches based on the number of M7 participants, and in the unlikely event of a tie, the tie breaker would be based on winning matches with more M7 participants.

The plan right now is to use total time for three best matches as the tie breaker. It’s easy to calculate and transparent.

54 minutes ago, Diamond Jake said:

If my memory serves, in other sports I've been involved with using cumulative rank scoring, you earned a point for each person that finished behind you.  That's similar to what @Diamond Jakeis asking about.

Shooters that attend more than 3 matches would drop their lowest scores (least points earned in single matches).  A tie would still be possible, but less likely.

Edited to add:

This is a terrible idea.  We should not do this.  

14 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

The plan right now is to use total time for three best matches as the tie breaker. It’s easy to calculate and transparent.

If one of the three matches has more stages would you drop the slowest extra stages, or use average stage time instead?  

1 hour ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

I received a suggestion that in the event of a tie, compare the two shooter's best single match M7 ranks, if that doesn't settle it, compare their second best M7 ranks.  They don't have to be the same matches.  

Whatever is easiest and fairest for you to compute.  You're doing a heck of a lot on this and it's appreciated.  I just brought up the tie scenario so that you can have it in the rules before the first match.  Then no one has a cause for complaint.

13 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Average Time times 10.

There could be some that would say a 12 stage match would hold a bit more "weight" for lack of a better term. Only in regards to holding the stage average down purely because of there being more stages. More stages, higher percent chance of a fubar. I don't know how someone would ever be able to remove the 2 worst stages and ever be able to keep it straight though. Just something to kick around.

Well, I am talking to Whiskey Creek about giving this a try. Put us down for a run at the GF. I have been chasing Evil Bob for years.

How about some other Outlaws.

3 hours ago, Tn Tombstone said:

Well, I am talking to Whiskey Creek about giving this a try. Put us down for a run at the GF. I have been chasing Evil Bob for years.

How about some other Outlaws.

That's great news!   I've put you both on the who's coming list.  Hope to see you at Ocoee next month.

On 12/6/2022 at 11:43 AM, Max Payne said:

I know I can beat Yohan. I beat him by at least one-half second 51% of the times we shoot together!

Yohan must be asleep! I know he won't let me get away with this!

Archived