SASS Wire Forum

Southeast Open Magnificent Seven (updated)

Captain Bill Burt

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the idea but being able to attend 7 matches for working folks is impossible.  My vacation time is very limited.  Plus the travel expenses make it completely untenable. 

If you make the minimum requirement 3 matches, I think you would have better participation.  If you shoot anything over the required three, you can choose your three best times.  The problem with that is, how do you compare each match to the other if the Top 3 are not the same matches?  You would need to figure out a points system or something like that.  And you would need to organizer to attend ALL 7 matches to ensure that everything is done the same at each match.  

I am all for this type of crossover but, in my opinion, I feel there is a lot of details that need to worked out before you start asking folks to pay more money to shoot matches.  

6 hours ago, The Outlaw Travis James said:

I like the idea but being able to attend 7 matches for working folks is impossible.  My vacation time is very limited.  Plus the travel expenses make it completely untenable. 

If you make the minimum requirement 3 matches, I think you would have better participation.  If you shoot anything over the required three, you can choose your three best times.  The problem with that is, how do you compare each match to the other if the Top 3 are not the same matches?  You would need to figure out a points system or something like that.  And you would need to organizer to attend ALL 7 matches to ensure that everything is done the same at each match.  

I am all for this type of crossover but, in my opinion, I feel there is a lot of details that need to worked out before you start asking folks to pay more money to shoot matches.  

Please read the thread.  The minimum requirement IS three matches.  If you shoot more than three you CAN use your best times.  Rank points will take some of the comparability issues out, but not all.  The only way to do that would be to have everyone shoot the same matches and then you're back to the attendance issue.  Is it perfect, no.  Could it be fun, yes.  Will it cost much, to me $20 max seems pretty inexpensive, and the hope is it will actually be $10.

I emailed you last week to ask your opinion and for your help.  You might want to check your spam.

We're planning on attending 3 of these matches so you can count me in......pending hurricane season....stinking Ian:angry::P

Will they have a buckaroo category? Little Shyster would love to play along.

JEL

4 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Please read the thread.  The minimum requirement IS three matches.  If you shoot more than three you CAN use your best times.  Rank points will take some of the comparability issues out, but not all.  The only way to do that would be to have everyone shoot the same matches and then you're back to the attendance issue.  Is it perfect, no.  Could it be fun, yes.  Will it cost much, to me $20 max seems pretty inexpensive, and the hope is it will actually be $10.

I emailed you last week to ask your opinion and for your help.  Haven't heard back yet.

OMG!  :o  You Said Rank Points!  :ph34r:  The World Is Going To End!  :lol: 

40 minutes ago, John E. Law said:

We're planning on attending 3 of these matches so you can count me in......pending hurricane season....stinking Ian:angry::P

Will they have a buckaroo category? Little Shyster would love to play along.

JEL

hmmm.  The Magnificent Seven and kids?  Molly's does have buckles for kids.  Let me cogitate.

So with all seven clubs on board, I think it makes sense to go forward with it using rank points, with seven adult buckles and two junior buckles.   I'm waiting to hear from my source for pins @Buck D. Law, SASS #62183.  We'll need at least 30 people to make it work.  I'll come up with a deadline once I know how much lead time I need, but for sure before the Ides of March by at least several weeks. 

Right now it looks like we have 

@John E. Law Little Shyster, @Badlands Bob #61228 @Palmetto Traveller Bogus Jim, myself, Shootin Sharyn, Iron Cowboy,@Fox Creek Stitcher Fast Eddie @Fretless Justified, Uncle Ethan. Cahawbakid. @YohanSaphire Rose @Max Payne Ophelia Payne  @BushRod Jones@Tennessee williams @Mister Badly21!

Maybe @Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646,  @Dang It Dan 13202 @The Outlaw Travis James

I think we can hit at least 30.  If we don't I'll be mailing checks back.

39 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

hmmm.  The Magnificent Seven and kids?  Molly's does have buckles for kids.  Let me cogitate.

Shyster's says he can call on his inner Britt speed for this. :ph34r:

JEL

• Captain Bill Burt changed the title to Southeast Open Magnificent Seven (updated)
7 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Does that mean we will have three more participants??

At least two.  We can't commit Firstshot this far in advance.

Well count me in, I think I can make three. I already planed on two.

What ever happens DON’T RETURN MY CHECK. 

Bill Burt, you opened this can of worms and it’s a lot of work. I’m in for $20.00 even if I don’t make three events ,buckles ain’t cheep. If you don’t get enough folks buy shotgun shells with the money.

Where do I send the gold?

1 hour ago, Cahawbakid said:

Well count me in, I think I can make three. I already planed on two.

What ever happens DON’T RETURN MY CHECK. 

Bill Burt, you opened this can of worms and it’s a lot of work. I’m in for $20.00 even if I don’t make three events ,buckles ain’t cheep. If you don’t get enough folks buy shotgun shells with the money.

Where do I send the gold?

You're very kind!  I'm really just playing around having a good time with it!  Here's the registration PDF, and also a brief description of how it will run.

Magnificent Seven.pdf The Southeast Open (1).pdf

4 hours ago, Cahawbakid said:

I think I can make three. I already planed on two.

It's already working! 

Us too.  We're planning on three, and now considering a 4th.

On 12/2/2022 at 3:48 PM, Captain Bill Burt said:

So with all seven clubs on board, I think it makes sense to go forward with it using rank points, with seven adult buckles and two junior buckles.   I'm waiting to hear from my source for pins @Buck D. Law, SASS #62183.  We'll need at least 30 people to make it work.  I'll come up with a deadline once I know how much lead time I need, but for sure before the Ides of March by at least several weeks. 

@John E. Law Little Shyster, @Badlands Bob #61228 @Palmetto Traveller Bogus Jim, myself, Shootin Sharyn, Iron Cowboy,@Fox Creek Stitcher Fast Eddie @Fretless Justified, Uncle Ethan. Cahawbakid. 14!

Maybe @Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646,  @Yohan @Dang It Dan 13202 @The Outlaw Travis James

Me and Sapphire Rose will be in on it as well

On 11/22/2022 at 3:41 PM, Purly SASS # 57438 said:

This was the award. 

20221122_153947.jpg

Showoff!!

Just to clarify.  Everyone is eligible to win the Overall, regardless of shooting style or propellent type.  For example, theoretically a GF could win the Open and get two buckles Overall Champion and Gunfighter Champion.

Anyone shooting duelist style including Classic Cowboy and Frontiersman is eligible for duelist.  Anyone shooting Gunfighter style, including Outlaws and B-Western who shoot GF, are eligible for Gunfighter.

Given some questions I've been getting we may add two aged based Open categories if we get enough sign ups.  Those would be likely either Senior Open and Ladies Senior Open, or Silver Senior Open and Ladies Silver Senior Open.  Those would be available to anyone at or over the minimum age for that category regardless of shooting style or propellent type.  So a Silver Senior Gunfighter would be eligible for both Gunfighter, and Silver Senior Open, for example.  If we do get those two categories added, that will be the max as I don't want to place a big burden on Whiskey at the TN State awards ceremony.

Be patient, I'm learning as I go and trying to come up with something that will be the maximum fun for the maximum number of people.

59 minutes ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

Perhaps something for Cowboys that attend all 7 matches would be appropriate.   After all, boosting attendance is the goal.  Just a thought.

I shot all 7 pin is in the works.

1 hour ago, BushRod Jones said:

I’m in and rounding up some more from GRG.  Bushrod 

That's great!

27 minutes ago, Mister Badly said:

I'm in.

VID_20221201_193341151_exported_8135.jpg

I don't recall Jedi Outlaw being one of the categories 

9 hours ago, Tennessee williams said:

I reckon I'm in unless the cardiologist says otherwise.

Well there goes my chances at a Duelest buckle B)

I do hope you can shoot though :D

12 minutes ago, Ranger Dan said:

Mine too, but we can keep him honest and make him work for it!!:rolleyes:

Randy 

On 12/2/2022 at 3:48 PM, Captain Bill Burt said:

@John E. Law Little Shyster, @Badlands Bob #61228 @Palmetto Traveller Bogus Jim, myself, Shootin Sharyn, Iron Cowboy,@Fox Creek Stitcher Fast Eddie @Fretless Justified, Uncle Ethan. Cahawbakid. @YohanSaphire Rose @Max Payne Ophelia Payne Bushrod. @Tennessee williams 20!

Maybe @Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646,  @Dang It Dan 13202 @The Outlaw Travis James

I know I can beat Yohan. I beat him by at least one-half second 51% of the times we shoot together!

3 hours ago, Ranger Dan said:

2 hours ago, Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 said:

Mine too, but we can keep him honest and make him work for it!!:rolleyes:

Randy 

Does this mean I should count you guys in as duelists?

Archived