SASS Wire Forum

Southeast Open Magnificent Seven (updated)

Captain Bill Burt

The Southeast Open Magnificent Seven

7 Matches, 79 Days, 

Sponsored by Ides of March, The Bushwhack, Shootout in the Hills, Shootout at Cavern Cove, Stampede at South River, Smokin Guns at Rabbit Ridge, The Regulator's Reckoning, Kitty's Kloset, Buffalo's Wild West and the lovely - Bullets by Scarlett!

Kick off Florida Ides of March 16-19th 

https://actionshootingnetwork.com/event/357/the-ides-of-march/?fbclid=IwAR1cEjAQgLsW5m9w8DYeDCdX87xHTUSu1vYQBHjyBq0aGd76dZVa3e9Z_iA

South Carolina The Bushwhack April 6-8th.

https://sites.google.com/site/scstatematch/

Kentucky Shootout in the Hills April 27-29th

https://ponderosa-pines.com/ky-state-championship

Alabama Shootout at Cavern Cove May 4-6th.

https://www.northalabamaregulators.com/copy-of-ambush-southeast-regional

Georgia Stampede at South River May 18th - 20th.

http://www.srscowboy.com/events.html

Mississippi Smokin Guns at Rabbit Ridge May 26th-28th

https://mississippiriverrangers.org/shooting-events

Final Match The Reckoning in Tennessee June 1-3rd.

http://www.wartraceregulators.com/StateMatch.aspx

1. Rank Points for best three matches

2. Automatically drop highest points for any matches attended beyond three, more matches attended equates to a better chance of winning a buckle

3. To be eligible for awards based on shooting style/propellent all matches must be shot in the same category.

4. Kickoff is Florida State, Awards at Tennessee State, prizes at every match.

5. Entry fee TBD not to exceed $20

6. Any remaining funds after the cost of awards will be used to purchase prizes from sponsoring vendors. 

7. Each state match shot earns one prize entry so more matches attended increases the chance of a prize.

Awards:

Top Shooter, Top Lady, Gunfighter, Duelist, Silver Senior, Ladies Silver Senior, and Frontier Cartridge (two Young Guns peewee buckles)

Depending upon interest possibly Lady Gunfighter/Duelist/Frontier Cartridge.

Clean match pins (clean for all three qualifying matches)

Magnificent 7 participant pin

I Shot All Seven pin

If you would like to shoot a category that isn't listed, please write it in on the app.  If I get enough interest in a category to cover a buckle we'll add it.  For those already registered, I know pretty much all of you personally, so if a category opens up that I think you might be interested in changing to I'll contact you.  

The Southeast Open (1).pdf Magnificent Seven.pdf

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The did something like that about 10 years ago.  It was the Triple Crown, if I recall.   It involved Comin A Cha, Ambush and another match up North somewhere.  The people who attended all three matches had their scores totaled for a separate award.  

Fl, SC, Ky, Al and Ga all have their state matches within a two month period in the Spring.  

1 hour ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

The did something like that about 10 years ago.  It was the Triple Crown, if I recall.   It involved Comin A Cha, Ambush and another match up North somewhere.  The people who attended all three matches had their scores totaled for a separate award.  

Fl, SC, Ky, Al and Ga all have their state matches within a two month period in the Spring.  

Similar thing happened up north, Tri-State (Ohio, Michigan, Indiana).  Have to attend all three States and receive a separate awards.

I shot the Triple Crown. It was great and it drew more shooters to all three events!

SO! You have FL, SC, KY, AL, GA, MS, and TN!

Shoot ‘em all , tally the scores, throw out the high and low or allow the shooter to drop two event scores or some such, and either average or total up those scores and declare a winner.

If there is enough interest, you can divvy it up further by male/female, smokeless/black powder, ore even Gunfighter/Duelist/Two Handed.  

Lots of options and it could add a lot of interest and possibly boost everyone’s attendance!!

For those of us who can't realistically attend that many big matches, there would be no additional incentive to stretch our resources and go to an extra match.  How about 4 out of 6?  If you attend more than 4, you get to use your 4 best times.

On 11/21/2022 at 8:08 PM, Fretless said:

For those of us who can't realistically attend that many big matches, there would be no additional incentive to stretch our resources and go to an extra match.  How about 4 out of 6?  If you attend more than 4, you get to use your 4 best times.

Sounds like the makings for the  Southeastern Open.  I like it.  Shoot 4 out of 6 available matches between March and May.  Each match is already 10 stages.  Georgia would be the last one so the awards would be given there.  Now what kind of awards and who's going to pay for them?  

29 minutes ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

Sounds like the makings for the  Southeastern Open.  I like it.  Shoot 4 out of 6 available matches between March and May.  Each match is already 10 stages.  Georgia would be the last one so the awards would be given there.  Now what kind of awards and who's going to pay for them?  

Tennessee would be the last one.  

I have no idea.  I got into the game too late to make the Open or the Triple Crown.  How did those work??  Who ran them? 

I assume they had permission from the respective Match Directors?  It doesn't seem right to be associating with someone else's event without them giving the OK.

The Triple Crown was promoted by T Bone Dooley sometime around 2012.  You needed to shoot all three matches and the awards were presented at Alabama, which was the last on the list of 3 matches.  The awards were presented by category and as I recall, there were about 20 people who participated in the Triple Crown.  It was only done once.  

I know that I have those 6 listed for time off at work and hope to actually be able to attend all 6 of these. KY. and MS. will be new for me but I have only been doing this a little over 2 years. I know I would also like to fit in Comin-at-cha as well as Land run along with Ambush be tight but who knows. 

32 minutes ago, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

Say hey Capt BB   Sounds like fun...lets see, the person who suggests something like this is the Director...right?

Imis

I think the director should be whoever has the biggest hat.  That way they can carry around all the different hats they'll have to wear.  Hmmm.

I’m planning on going to three of these anyway, making it four or five wouldn’t be that big of a stretch.

I looked up Molly’s buckles. They’re not cheap. 7 of them would run between $600-$1,000 depending on which ones. If participants paid $20 to enter it would take about 35-50 to cover it unless there were sponsors. 

I’m not sure that level of interest is out there.

Fun idea!! And… if you got some “really good sponsors” :wub: wink wink it would be fun to offer fabulous prizes regardless of placement… guncart? Guns? Match entries, etc… if the goal is to increase participation - a great idea - there ought to be a way for ALL participants to win something other than (another) top finish buckle. Not knocking Molly’s buckles at all! I have several that I’m most proud of however, I only wear two at any given time.  And 4 out of seven would be good. 

Hugs and Happy Thanksgiving!

Scarlett

• Captain Bill Burt changed the title to Crazy Idea - Southeast Open Magnificent Seven (updated)

I think seven is too much.  Hell five is too much.  I think three is about right.  It's a big commitment for someone to take that much time off in such a short span of time.  Most folks don't shoot seven state matches all year.  Don't get me wrong, I think it's a good idea but it's a tall order to shoot all seven.

Dang It Dan

1 hour ago, Dang It Dan 13202 said:

I think seven is too much.  Hell five is too much.  I think three is about right.  It's a big commitment for someone to take that much time off in such a short span of time.  Most folks don't shoot seven state matches all year.  Don't get me wrong, I think it's a good idea but it's a tall order to shoot all seven.

Dang It Dan

Hi Dan!  I agree with you.  Very few people will be able to swing all seven.  Hopefully three will be doable for enough people. I think all of the Burt Bunch can do it least three each although it may not be the same three  I'm hoping for six myself.  

On 11/22/2022 at 6:26 AM, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

Tennessee shoots 12 stages.

Thanks 

Randy 

Four match minimum. 16 shooters with the lowest average stage time qualify for a posse at the SE Regional where the winner takes all. 

Just now, Mister Badly said:

Four match minimum. 16 shooters with the lowest average stage time qualify for a posse at the SE Regional where the winner takes all. 

Or at Tennessee State. 

1 hour ago, Mister Badly said:

Or at Tennessee State. 

That would mean there would be required matches.  I would rather it be more flexible so that people could shoot any three and still be qualified.  

8 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

That would mean there would be required matches.  I would rather it be more flexible so that people could shoot any four and still be qualified.  

16 shooters with the lowest average stage time at any 3 of the designated matches qualifies for the final posse at the fourth/final match. That posse makes it a head to head match with the same TOs and spotters and weather. In that scenario the fourth match is mandatory as it is the final. 

51 minutes ago, Mister Badly said:

16 shooters with the lowest average stage time at any 3 of the designated matches qualifies for the final posse at the fourth/final match. That posse makes it a head to head match with the same TOs and spotters and weather. In that scenario the fourth match is mandatory as it is the final. 

I think maximum scheduling flexibility will generate more participation. I’m tending towards three as @Dang It Dan 13202 mentioned to qualify. We already have head to head competitions at every state match. I’m more interested in a competition that increases interest in attending multiple matches and rewards that with a better chance of winning.

Archived