SASS Wire Forum

Coach gun misfires

Redleg Reilly, SASS #46372

I have a Stoeger coach gun, double triggers, been shooting it for about 2 years.  Last two matches, I have had incidents of the gun going off as the action is closed.  First time, the left barrel would do it.  The last time both barrels fired.  In each instance,  I finally finished the stage, opened and closed the action several times an the gun was fine for the rest of the match.   I can't see anything wrong so figured it was time to ask here.  Thanks in advance!

One or both of the firing pins are not resetting rearward when the cocking rods reset the hammers.  The firing pin channels may be gummed up, or one or more of the firing pins may be bent, or one or more of the firing pin springs may be messed up and binding.  First thing is to do as Sedalia Dave said -- give the action, including the firing pin channels, a good cleaning with an aerosol gun cleaner.  Then test.  If fixed, great.  If it was my gun, I'd remove the firing pins and made sure the channels are squeaky clean before putting the very lightest drop of oil on the pins before reinstalling them.  You will be able to inspect the firing pins themselves if you do this, as an added bonus.

Appreciate the replies.  It doesn't look that dirty in the action but I'll follow the advice and see how it goes.  I guess I'll look into the stainless replacement firing pins as well.

The ends of the firing pins have likely become “braded” where the hammers hit them.  You will need to replace them or take them out and remove the “brad” with a file or stone.

When you replace the pins, be sure to check the length with a micrometer against stock pins. Years ago, I bought some titanium pins from a very well known SG smith, & still had a problem. As a last resort, I mic'ed the length, & they were actually shorter than stock. I bought some new stock pins, & everything healed up nicely.

Redleg,

If I understand your problem, your shotgun will go off without you touching the trigger. That is not a firing pin problem, it might be a hammer sear, trigger, or cocker rod problem, or not. But I bet it scares hell out of ya when it happens. I may or may not have the answer.

P.M. me if you would like to discuss it

1 hour ago, Howdy Pardner said:

Redleg,

If I understand your problem, your shotgun will go off without you touching the trigger. That is not a firing pin problem, it might be a hammer sear, trigger, or cocker rod problem, or not. But I bet it scares hell out of ya when it happens. I may or may not have the answer.

P.M. me if you would like to discuss it

It was going off as I closed the action.  I purchased new firing pins and when I disassembled it, the original pins were dragging thru the bushing.  Looks like it was possible that at times the pin wouldn't be retracted causing the gun to fire as it was closed.

23 hours ago, Redleg Reilly, SASS #46372 said:

It was going off as I closed the action.  I purchased new firing pins and when I disassembled it, the original pins were dragging thru the bushing.  Looks like it was possible that at times the pin wouldn't be retracted causing the gun to fire as it was closed.

I had the same issue with my shotgun.  The ramp inside the forearm that cocking levers ride on was worn and when cocked it wasn't properly setting the sear and trigger.  It was only catching the leading edge.  Vibration upon closing the action dropped the hammer, subsequently fired the round.  Found the problem by removing the stock so I could see the action when cocking.

Had the ramps welded to add material, filling in the worn area.  Hasn't happened again in the last 12 years.

On 11/20/2022 at 7:48 PM, Redleg Reilly, SASS #46372 said:

Appreciate the replies.  It doesn't look that dirty in the action but I'll follow the advice and see how it goes.  I guess I'll look into the stainless replacement firing pins as well.

Not quite the same issue but my win 101 O/U would randomly double kind gets one's attention.  I did the pull the stock off, inspected all looked really squeeky clean.  Did the action spray job anyway and a light lube, problem solved.  Just posting because sometimes the cause of problem is not real apparent but a cleaning and light lube can take care of it if not a more serious problem like issues with firing pins or sears.

Archived