SASS Wire Forum

44-40 Big Lube bullets: Are they accurate.

"Big Boston"

I was reading a FB post and the poster was having some accuracy issues with a 44-40 rifle. He was using 3f Swiss and his bullet was a Accurate 43-215C, of big lube design. I've got no experience with BP or with this bullet, but I am curious about the inherent accuracy of this design. This bullet designs claim to fame is for shooting clean, is it also an accurate design?

With BP, does anyone have an accurate load that they'd like to share. 

BB

43-215C.thumb.png.21878fa7ddd20bb1e565d931a6a14ee6.png

They are out of my Uberti rifles, cast with a soft lead alloy, sized to 429 or so.

For what we do, no problemo, if I do my part.

--Dawg

"Accurate" is a relative term... means different things to different people.  An accurate load in my .30-30 rifle to me means it can hold inside an inch @ 200 yards.  Other folks may find that to be rather daunting.  And it takes some really anally-retentive bench rest type loading techniques to get it.  For my .45 Colt 1873 rifle, 24-¼" bbl, an accurate load will hold to a 1" at our cowboy distances, generally, well inside 25 yards, a much less onerous task.  I sometimes use the term, "minute of deer" in describing how accurate a load/rifle combo is... i.e. around 4" @ 100 yards.  Anything less than that is like icing on the cake!  The gun has to be capable of such accuracy also.  Bullets are just a small part of the entire equation.

Too many variables. I agree with Griff.  In order to diagnose the issue, you will need to provide 

1. Distance 

2. When does accuracy degrade

3. Type of lube used 

this is just to name a few of the BP basics.  At SASS distances I hardly consider most of these items since reliability usually trumps hitting a 1” spot on a steel plate. 

Gringo

Yep need a lot more information.

One big variable is bullet diameter. Most modern rifles have bores much larger than the original SAAMI specification of .427". I think Uberti uses the same barrel bore diameter for .44 Special / .44 Magnum as they do for 44-40

I have and Uberti 1860 and an 1866 in 44-40. Both need bullets of at least .429" if cast of soft lead and .430" if out of harder lead to shoot accurately. .427" bullets (which seems to be what a lot of casters are selling) will cause leading in them at CAS velocities.

Ruger pistols in 44-40 are well known to have undersized throats that can cause accuracy issues.

On a related note (45 Colt vs 44-40), back when the biglube bullets first started coming out, Three Legged Dog shot a ragged 50-shot hole in a target at 50 yards, offhand, as fast as he could lever it and get a sight picture.  I recall him saying that it was getting expensive since those bullets used so much SPG lube, so he switched to homemade lube.

20 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

On a related note (45 Colt vs 44-40), back when the biglube bullets first started coming out, Three Legged Dog shot a ragged 50-shot hole in a target at 50 yards, offhand, as fast as he could lever it and get a sight picture.  I recall him saying that it was getting expensive since those bullets used so much SPG lube, so he switched to homemade lube.

Gato Feo seems to be the cat's meow as far as homemade lubes are concerned. 

Dick Dastardly's Mav Dutchman bullet with a case of real black powder or 3.5 grains of Red Dot will give excellent results at cowboy distances if the cowboy does his part. The rifle is a Uberti 1860 Henry with a 20-inch barrel. Bullet is sized to .431.

Lucky :D

Shot a 3” group at 125 yards last time at the range. Using the same bullet design. The limiting factor wasn’t the bullet, but more likely the sights on my ‘73. 

Archived