SASS Wire Forum

Will you do a downsized Turkey dinner?

For years we we take our boy to the China Buffet for Mongolian steak grill on thanksgiving. But now that I can’t eat Chinese food because they use a lot of fish, oyster and clam sauce, we are going to go traditional. Got a small turkey breast and will include all the usual additions. Then on Saturday we will hit Millionaires row at Churchill Downs for dinner and betting. Just another annual tradition

By the way, store brand turkey at Sam’s Club is $1.18 per lb. The same turkey at Walmart is $1.88 per pound. If you don’t have coupons for cheaper turkey. 

2 hours ago, Tennessee Trapper Tom said:

For years we we take our boy to the China Buffet for Mongolian steak grill on thanksgiving. But now that I can’t eat Chinese food because they use a lot of fish, oyster and clam sauce, we are going to go traditional. Got a small turkey breast and will include all the usual additions. Then on Saturday we will hit Millionaires row at Churchill Downs for dinner and betting. Just another annual tradition

We are downsizing a bit but that's because there will only be six there this year.   Turkey,ham, venison roast, sides, salad, pies,.  I only go out and make big meals twice a year.  If it doesn't get eaten, which is rare, I get leftovers.  I'm good with that !

Our first Thanksgiving as a married couple and we fixed the traditional meal.

We were afterward so very sick of leftovers we agreed never again.

Since then we've had anything but.

Thanksgiving Cornish hen.

Thanksgiving tacos.

Thanksgiving stir fry.

This year it's Thanksgiving chili!

On 11/21/2022 at 8:13 AM, Chantry said:

I didn't like turkey that much to begin with and decades of poorly prepared turkey dinners

On 11/21/2022 at 8:13 AM, Chantry said:

Mind you, I never saw a poorly prepared turkey dinner.

But, my Dad:  There was one Thanksgiving I was sitting between him & Mom watching the ball game after dinner, Dad leans over & whispers Bobbie, how about taking some of that turkey home with you...

And when it was just me, Petey & BabyGirl, I roasted Cornish hens.  Stuff the cavity with slices of apple, orange, onion & celery.

My wife, our kids, their spouses, our grandkids, their spouses, and our great-grandkids, now number population 28. Everybody is within a few miles, so we regularly have pretty big dinners. Thanksgiving "central" has these last several years settled on one daughter, who loves it. With most of us, and with many of her husband's family, plus friends, she usually has 30 or more.

We just bring a couple bottles of wine. We still do the Christmas rib-roast dinner for the clan, but were able to pass Thanksgiving off to kids several years ago....

On 11/21/2022 at 6:24 AM, Tennessee Trapper Tom said:

For years we we take our boy to the China Buffet for Mongolian steak grill on thanksgiving. But now that I can’t eat Chinese food because they use a lot of fish, oyster and clam sauce....

Somehow many years ago we went to a Chinese restaurant for Christmas Eve dinner. We do Christmas dinner big, but didn't have an Eve tradition particularly.

We had a great time; there's a festive quality to it, it's no work, and so it became a regular tradition these last 20 or so years. We have noticed in recent years many families doing the same thing, and the owner of the one we usually go to told us it's become quite a thing.

For years holiday dinners were prepared by my mom and Mary's mom. Always both. Then Mary's mom pasted away then it got too much for my mom. Mary picked up the responsibility.  I'm sure Mary was a little intimidated but put on a big spread.   My folks came down and eat like hogs. Lots of compliments.  Sunday mom calls down and said not to fix anything for lunch as she had baked a turkey and had all the fixing.   Because Dad liked his stuffing baked IN the bird.   Mary baked her dressing outside the bird. She also didn't bake the bird to death. 

Mom wasn't a really good cook, bless her heart, she over cooked everything.   Her stuffing had so much pepper in it you could hardly stand it. Her gravy was so thick it could stand a spoon in it. 

9 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

For years holiday dinners were prepared by my mom and Mary's mom. Always both. Then Mary's mom pasted away then it got too much for my mom. Mary picked up the responsibility.  I'm sure Mary was a little intimidated but put on a big spread.   My folks came down and eat like hogs. Lots of compliments.  Sunday mom calls down and said not to fix anything for lunch as she had baked a turkey and had all the fixing.   Because Dad liked his stuffing baked IN the bird.   Mary baked her dressing outside the bird. She also didn't bake the bird to death. 

Mom wasn't a really good cook, bless her heart, she over cooked everything.   Her stuffing had so much pepper in it you could hardly stand it. Her gravy was so thick it could stand a spoon in it. 

You are right, bless her heart for trying.  Now try to talk her out of repeating!

Funny side note,  Mom worked as a cook at the local school for maybe 20 years.  Probably helping cook for thousands is much different than home cooking.   Through those years,  she had 5 grandsons going to school. They always called her "Granny".  The other kids picked up her title and that's was their name for her too.  

For many years the community hall in our little ranching community has been the site of a traditional style Thanksgiving dinner and will be again this year. Our family provides two turkeys, stuffing, gravy and enough other food for a small city. The rest is potluck and the results are generally quite good. Dinner 1230ish, pinochle and other games after dinner, folks going in and out depending on what chores they need to do, then supper from the leftovers 5ish. Some years we’ve had 25 people, some years we’ve had 75 people. Depends a lot on the weather and travel conditions. Only Thanksgiving meal my wife had been to in her life until we got married. 

Being that my wife and I both tested positive for Covid this week, our thanksgiving will be very small, just the two of us. I don’t think in 29 years of marriage that we have ever had thanksgiving with just the two of us. 
ordered a small honey baked ham. We both were actually hungry for the first time in a few days so we have already dug into that ham.  Dang it is good!

When this topic first was started, I posted this as a bit of a gag.:rolleyes:0042222211600_CR_Syndigo_default_large.png

Well, it turns out that turkeys sometimes don't last a year in a freezer. so guess what we're having today...:wacko: It's okay though, we like the stuff. It was my all time favorite C-Rat, too.:D

It starts. 16lb turkey in the smoker and a 23lb rib roast warming up for the pellet smoker.

90839818-0D79-494A-93FA-7595F08109EE.jpeg

52DD34B7-FD10-49CF-AE34-5A671006C50D.jpeg

Happy Thanksgiving to all my wire friends. We are going to my sister's today for our annual get together. It started out 60 or 70 or more years ago as all the offspring of my great grandfather Josiah got together. He had 5 sons and 3 daughters. With growing families going their own way and marriages taking some away to other families and of course deaths, our gathering of 50 to 60+ people has dwindled down to my sister and I and our families. Still good to get together. 

That’s what I’m doing. 2 drumsticks, mashed tater, green beans, and a biscuit or two.

Maybe next year I travel.

Just got back from my Thanksgiving trip to the movies.  Laid out all the incredients and now it is time for the arduous task of preparing a sumptuous feast.

DSC_0005.thumb.jpeg.2d52045e0e41cd41082bf1c4af362ad2.jpeg

A follow-up to my plans for a sumptuous feast is that it was tasty but by no means sumptuous.  I don't remember what the Hungry Man dinner cost last year.  BUT there are two ways to raise costs.  One is to raise the price and the second is to reduce the amount of product.  This year the dinner still had four "slices" of turkey but this year all four of those slices were not as thick as one slice last year.  I will skip the reasons and just note things could have changed at the mid-term elections but the American people pretty much decided to keep things as is so we reap what we have sown.

1 minute ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

A follow-up to my plans for a sumptuous feast is that it was tasty but by no means sumptuous.  I don't remember what the Hungry Man dinner cost last.  BUT there are two ways to raise costs.  One is to raise the price and the second is to reduce the amount of product.  This year the dinner still had four "slices" of turkey but this year all four of those slices were not as thick as one slice last year.  I will skip the reasons and just note things could have changed at the mid-term elections but the American people pretty much decided to keep things as is so we reap what we have sown.

That's what I had! Yeh, you could almost see thru the turkey and apple dessert was only a quarter inch deep, barely a fork and a half. Oh well, it was better than the cottage cheese Ellie got to eat.

Did a little better.   Met oldest son,  his two daughters,  great granddaughter and great grandson at steak and pizza place.  Good place that's easy drive for us and not that far for them.  The restaurant owner really appreciate the business in these hard times. 

• 1 month later...

We did a 7 lb rib roast. Green bean casserole  roasted baby yellow taters and dressing. Still eating on it lol

Archived