SASS Wire Forum

Will you do a downsized Turkey dinner?

Other grandmom (where we are meeting) says don't do anything but there must be deviled eggs and pecan pie or it's not really Thanksgiving.  P.S. I'm not going for the food.  I need family.

I do a smaller turkey, (under 20pounds) and we eat off it for another day or two.

I then cut off and freeze slices in small Zip Locks for sandwiches later, break up the carcass and with some of the smaller turkey bits, boil it, then strip off the rest of the meat and make turkey soup.

Good eating!

I still have some frozen, ready to eat.

I saw smoked Turkey legs at Walmart a couple of days ago. If you’re interested. 

My wife’s in California and she flies back Thanksgiving night. I am planning Thanksgiving dinner for us for Black Friday. I plan to buy a  smaller 13 pound turkey. We used to get 21-25 pounders for the leftovers but we need more freezer space so I am going smaller this year…maybe. :D

My two sons and my ex-wife and I are getting together and we've already ordered Bob Evans turkey dinners complete with a pumpkin pie. No muss no fuss! We did this last year it was pretty doggone tasty!! Pick it up around noon on Thanksgiving!

We meet at my sister-in-law’s for Thanksgiving brunch. Sliced turkey breast and a spiral sliced ham are the main bill of fare. Schoolmarm does a sweet potato casserole and a seven layer salad. Brother-in-law usually brings something.  

Schoolmarm also makes “sausage stars”, a cheese and country sausage mixture baked in wonton wrappers and there are other finger foods and sides.

Later, we go to my mother’s for a traditional style dinner and a visit with my side of the family. More sausage stars and all of my mom’s holiday confections.

This way, we get a little time with all of the family, but not so much time as to allow for the family arguing!!:rolleyes: :lol:

18 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

My two sons and my ex-wife and I are getting together and we've already ordered Bob Evans turkey dinners complete with a pumpkin pie. No muss no fuss! We did this last year it was pretty doggone tasty!! Pick it up around noon on Thanksgiving!

What time should I be over? 

Nope.  Going to the senior center with a friend.  They have their regular staff and a lot of extra volunteers who put out a marvelous feed.....and I don't have any fuss getting it ready or cleaning up.....and they make enough so there are seconds and maybe leftovers for Friday......and several choices for desert and side dishes.....all for $5.00 a head. ( I had one extra period I had to use up, so here it is .)

Update: my friend is a nurse and was supposed to get off at 8:00, but she was in an OR with an emergency case until nearly 10:00 and called to tell me she was "burned to the bone" and was going to sleep for about ten hours, so I went over alone and sat with some strangers.  The meal was perfectly unimpressive, but the new friends were a delight, so it worked out alright.

I've been invited to join Deja and Jittery Jim for dinner with them, which is always a treat.  Good friends, good food, good dogs.  It doesn't get better than that much anymore. :D 

BTW, I'll take Karla out for breakfast Sunday morning.

Just the two of us and possibly a Widowed friend of my Wife's, so small scale turkey or large chicken, sausage stuffing, mushroom gravy, cranberry sauce and veg.  Even after all these years I remember cooking Thanksgiving dinner for 12.  Took all the leaves in the table and close quarters.

Since it's just the two of us we don't make a big deal of it.  Safeway has turkey on special - 7 bucks for a bird up to 11 1/2 pounds, 8 bucks for one between 12 and 14 1/2, and a couple of other ranges up to 10 bucks, that applies if you also buy $25 bucks of other stuff. So, sweet potatoes, stuffing, turkey, dressing.  Maybe cole slaw.  We have something on order to pick up for dessert.

31 minutes ago, Sixgun Seamus said:

What time should I be over? 

12:00 The address is 15674321 Main St. Central town Ohio 44444 If you get lost just use your GPS!;)

You guys are killin me.  We’ll start with Gorgonzola stuffed olives, prosciutto wrapped bread sticks and I have an affinity for bacon wrapped dates.  Add in some chips and dip for the kiddies. Then bang out the turkey with all the usual trimmings.  
Have a great Holiday 

Gringo

2 hours ago, JD Lud said:

We just buy a turkey breast, we like white meat and saves a lot of preparation and waste.   This year we aren’t even having turkey….tamales instead.

The wife and I decided on beef stew this year

This popped up in my FB "Memories".  It's from 2014

We brine it, joint it. Put the legs & thighs in the oven, then after a while, when they are about half done, put the split breast in.
A decade or two back we decided that all the angst of having everything come out at the same time just wasn't worth it. It's all the sides that really make the Thanksgiving Meal. I'd cook a couple of sides, we'd eat. A while later, cook something else, we'd eat. Get the bird in the oven. Get the wing tips, some of the carcass, the neck, maybe the drumsticks into the stock pot with carrots, celery, onion, to make stock for the gravy. Cook something else or make a salad. Gnosh and nibble some. When the bird is done, make the biscuits and get 'em in the oven. Make the gravy while they are baking.
A lot less stress. Clean up as we go. Get more time to visit. Usually by the time we get to the bird, we decide to just leave it for sandwiches and such.

No....No downsized dinner for us. The normal 16lb (mol) turkey, REAL giblet gravy, green beans, dressing (inside and outside the turkey), jellied cranberry sauce, smashed potatoes, sweet potatoes with pecan and pumpkin pie as dessert. Over the top for two or three people? Yeah, it is...

The excess turkey will be used for leftovers, sandwiches w/generous Miracle Whip, pot pies and soup. 

I only get REAL giblet gravy once a year, I'm not wasting it on commercially cooked food.

Generally, there isn't too much left over after a couple days of pigging out anyway.

3 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

12:00 The address is 15674321 Main St. Central town Ohio 44444 If you get lost just use your GPS!;)

Here’s what you get on Apple Navigation 

CAD0DDB2-571E-476F-8091-3F282B28D747.thumb.png.3c33e6b1276279a439856be342265a61.png

90FC262F-7343-49FF-B66B-1238A9A70388.png

1 minute ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Here’s what you get on Apple Navigation 

CAD0DDB2-571E-476F-8091-3F282B28D747.thumb.png.3c33e6b1276279a439856be342265a61.png

90FC262F-7343-49FF-B66B-1238A9A70388.png

Use a big table and wear orange, so the traffic won't run you over.:D

One recent year Sawmill Mary cooked and cleaned for three days. She made a different pie for each kid coming. I think five total.  They arrived just in time to set down and eat.  Came time for pie and they were all too full. Got to go. Didn't even help clear the table. Here less than an hour. We've evolved into eating at Dennys on an off day. 

27 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

One recent year Sawmill Mary cooked and cleaned for three days. She made a different pie for each kid coming. I think five total.  They arrived just in time to set down and eat.  Came time for pie and they were all too full. Got to go. Didn't even help clear the table. Here less than an hour. We've evolved into eating at Dennys on an off day. 

That sure wouldn't happen twice around here!

We both early this year volunteered at our church to help prepare and serve Thanksgiving dinner to those in need. Its our first time volunteering for Thanksgiving, usually we do Christmas. But when everyone's been served we will partake. We have 5 Turkeys and 3 large Hams plus sweet potatoes and other items that were donated. Wife and the ladies will do the cooking, us men will wash and dry, etc.

Those that know Pat know that the 22-pound turkey will have a table load of company.  I'm so blessed with a wonderful wife and a great cook.  Six of us will enjoy her labors. Four friends and us, truly thankful for the bounty that this great country provides to each of us.

Haven't cooked a turkey for Thanksgiving in about 10 years. Neither I nor the wife liked it enough to eat the leftovers.

I've done Ham, St Louis style BBQ pork ribs, Stuffed pork loin roast, and even pork stir fry. This will be the first year not spending it with family in a long long time. I had planned to go to my mom's but have to work Saturday so I'll plan on making the trip during Christmas break. 

Fortunately a really good friend invited me to join him and his wife so I'll spend it with them.

Yes we're downsizing this year.  With the insane cost of food and the fact we don't have much storage room ie no additional freezer, we're keeping it small and simple.  Sliced turkey breast with gravy, stuffing, taters, beans etc.  Simple, home made and cozy.  Couldn't ask for more.

No turkey for me.  I didn't like turkey that much to begin with and decades of poorly prepared turkey dinners by relatives has made my dislike for turkey (and family drama) worse.   Thursday will be dinner with my mother and we'll be having shrimp with angel hair.

My Ellie is on a bland diet for a while.:( So she will not be enjoying white rice and pasta, I getting steak Florentine! I think this will be a first, not having turkey. Oh well! 

We’re having 24 people over for thanksgiving this year. I’ll smoke a 16lb turkey and a 22lb prime rib roast. My daughter in law says she’s baking 8 pies but knowing her it will be 10-12, she loves to bake. The kids have all chipped in for the turkey and prime rib roast every year so my wife and I don’t have to foot the bill, we do the work. I love this time of year.

11 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

We’re having 24 people over for thanksgiving this year. I’ll smoke a 16lb turkey and a 22lb prime rib roast. My daughter in law says she’s baking 8 pies but knowing her it will be 10-12, she loves to bake. The kids have all chipped in for the turkey and prime rib roast every year so my wife and I don’t have to foot the bill, we do the work. I love this time of year.

Wish I lived closer! You'd never notice one more! :lol:

19 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Wish I lived closer! You'd never notice one more! :lol:

You’d certainly be welcome. Being close to Camp Pendleton we used to have a Marine or 3 or 4 as guests but after the 2020 Covid year we haven’t got any takers. I really enjoyed visiting with them and boy did they like taking the leftovers home. 

Archived