SASS Wire Forum

Qualifying for Concealed Carry

J-BAR #18287

My wife forgot to renew her concealed carry permit over a year ago, so she had to take the class and requalify on the range to get a new permit.  (Missouri allows open and concealed carry without a permit, but we occasionally travel so the permit ensures we can carry in other states with reciprocal agreements.)

The instructor told her to shoot 20 rounds for practice, then 20 rounds for record.  18 rounds into her practice session he stopped her, saying “You qualify.”

Kinda proud of her, and the 1937 S&W K22 Outdoorsman she used!  :D

F65E4D05-D566-406B-8CCD-36BC94BAFBBB.thumb.jpeg.4aadaad1809c9ea1de923053f72039ad.jpeg

My son , Hatfield, qualified with my .45 Colt Ruger Blackhawk.  He carefully cut the ten ring out of the target with consecutive shots.  It was a fifty shot test and he still had a half box of cartridges left.

The instructor was a friend of mine and he accused me of being a smartass for sending the kid over there “with that damned Blackhawk to take target practice and mess with my head!”  He said that it was comical to watch the other shooters looking into the stall and then trying harder to be anywhere near as accurate.

Good shooting.

As an instructor, albeit a very part time one - you have no idea how much it pains me to see the abysmal level of shooting skill most demonstrate when attempting to get their concealed carry permits.

And according to the students; it is ALWAYS the gun, the ammo, the time of day or phase of the moon.

Absolutely NEVER their lack of skill, absence of practice or failure of preparation.

Great shooting!  My wife had a similar experience at her qualifying.  After she finished shooting, the instructor walked over and asked her where she learned to shoot like that.  She explained that she was a cowboy action shooter.  She told him that she felt like she was cheating because, as a gunfighter, she was used to shooting with a pistol in each hand and that they let her use to use a .22 Ruger Single Six rather than her .357 Vaquero.

It was also amusing to see the reaction of a couple of male shooters, who had been commenting on their shooting prowess during the classroom portion of the class, after she had kicked their butts during qualifying.

Hey J Bar. Adie Belle had the same experience as above. She took the course from Sheriff Helms here in Camden county.

After she ate the center of the target out with my S&W 686 (using cowboy loads) he told her to come to his office in the courthouse the next day for her CCW.

It pays to shoot CAS.

Happy Trails, Coyote Kid

Mrs. J-Bar is NOT to be trifled with! :ph34r:

1 hour ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Women are almost always better shooters.

I love teaching ladies to shoot - open to learning, no ego issues or "my grandpa said" garbage.

Plus physically they are better designed for shooting - lower center of gravity carrying most of their weight in their hips instead of their chest/ shoulders like men (or chest/ belly like me).

Add in the ability to better control their heart rate (due to child birth abilities) and the groundwork is set for a superior shooter.

And I would not trifle with Mrs J- Bar either.

53 minutes ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

Women are almost always better shooters.

I love teaching ladies to shoot - open to learning, no ego issues or "my grandpa said" garbage.

Plus physically they are better designed for shooting - lower center of gravity carrying most of their weight in their hips instead of their chest/ shoulders like men (or chest/ belly like me).

Add in the ability to better control their heart rate (due to child birth abilities) and the groundwork is set for a superior shooter.

And I would not trifle with Mrs J- Bar either.

My family all shoot better because dad/ grandpa said.

20 hours ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

As an instructor, albeit a very part time one - you have no idea how much it pains me to see the abysmal level of shooting skill most demonstrate when attempting to get their concealed carry permits.

Me too. But as long as a student does meet the legal requirement, they pass.

But I have to admit after seeing what a barely passing target looks like, I am a big fan of the FEMA Active Shooter guidelines. Particularly the first guideline. RUN!

For the individual who does not have the option to run or hide, I do hope they fight like they are the 3rd monkey on the ramp to Noahs ark and it is starting to rain.

Under stress, I do not expect my skills to match my 100% range qualification. If I have to fight, I pray I win the contest, and also pray I do not hit any innocent bystander. I do not consider myself in the same league as Jack Wilson. I pray I never have to be the 3rd monkey.

12 hours ago, Lawdog Dago Dom said:

I'm surprised you didn't slip some BP rounds into her ammo.

Her reaction could have made her a YouTube star!:D

Because 

6 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

86B094F0-FC3F-4F60-BBCB-6DFA6591F272.thumb.jpeg.39961ee942cd8c81f28cbf6dea33a045.jpeg

Leaving the church to begin our honeymoon.

We were engaged 5 weeks after our first (blind) date.  I was shocked when she immediately accepted my proposal, couldn’t believe she did not want to think about it.  52 1/2 years and counting.

I am grateful that she is patient and forgiving,  And for Christmas she wants a range pass to the gun store where I shoot so we can practice together weekly.

I bet Santa brings her one.

Archived