SASS Wire Forum

Looking for PractiScore Advice

Loco Poco Lobo

Our club has decided to try out the PractiScore application next year.  I am looking to purchase 2 tablets for the posses (alias = slave) and 1 for the scoring tablet (alias = master).  With the Holiday deals upcoming, it is probably the best time to buy the tablets.

I already reviewed the information on PractiScore's website.  My thought is that the Amazon Fire HD 8 Plus might work for the slaves and maybe a Samsung Galaxy Tab S8, but I think they may be too expensive.

1. Do you use the Amazon Fire HD 8 Plus and can you read the screen in bright daylight?
  2. Is it best to use an Android or iOS (Apple) tablet for the master scoring tablet?
  3. What do you use for the slave and master scoring tablets?
  4. Any pros/cons to using the tablets?
  5. Any "gotchas" to avoid using with PractiScore?

Thanks in advance!

Loco Poco Lobo

Gold Country Wild Bunch has been using Practiscore for the past year. So far we really like it.

We're using four Amazon Fire HD 8's, and have one HD 10. The HD 10 is our master, however it could all be done on the HD 8's without a "master" device. 

Cons, swiping past ads, it's easy, just needs done. Some folks, a small number say the tablets are to small.

You can pay extra for ad free devices, our

HD 10 has no ads.

Play with Practiscore on your phone. I can help if you questions. Don't try to do online match set up on the website. It's easier to do everything just on the tablet.

Tully

What Tully Mars said.

I have been running Practiscore  on Fire 7 tablets with ZERO issues for over 3 years. 

One thing I did was buy were Kids cases for the two I have. Did so for 2 reasons. First is in case it is dropped. 2nd is the kids case I bought has a built in handle.

If you create a club account on the Practiscore website and enter all the data you can upload, post, and email match results really easily. I am looking into doing that next year.

We use 10in Fire tablets one for each posse.  We have been using it for three years.  Online sign up is the way to go, we did away with paper score sheets and sign up sheets.  The waiver is on practiscore too.  Even our most technologically handicapped shooters are able to sign up online.  We still take walk ups just add them as they pay.  It is nice for traveling shooters also since they can search our matches on practiscore.  I try to have the scores up the day of the match so everyone can see how they did.  If you get real fancy you can get timers that send the times to the tablet.

We (Texas Riviera Pistoleros) use HD 8’s. 

Do you use the Amazon Fire HD 8 Plus and can you read the screen in bright daylight
plenty bright

Is it best to use an Android or iOS (Apple) tablet for the master scoring tablet?

I’ve found that Android works fine with PS. HD 8’s are much cheaper than  Apple iPads. Also Android version supports bluetooth timers where iOS does not (yet?). 

What do you use for the slave and master scoring tablets? 

same tablet… when you order your tablets get them different colors to keep a “master” 

Any pros/cons to using the tablets?

Pro: quick results

Con: battery needs charging, technology gremlins show up uninvited,

pros/cons over iPad not mentioned already

Any "gotchas" to avoid using with PractiScore?

syncing tablets require a common wifi connection. In other words,  tablets need to be on the same wifi to see each other on the same network for syncing. This can be a simple phone hotspot but we use a standalone wifi hotspot with no internet service. That allows me to connect with my phone to sync it back to my phone to post results to our FB Group…. Usually even before all the cowboys go through the serving line for our meal after the match. That allows us to give out our clean shooter pins and read out rankings during the meal. 

Using the HD8 was/is a learning curve for me… im not used to android.

I bought one of these for each tablet. Haven't had to use them but have them just in case. They'll run the tablets for several days before needing to be recharged.

Portable Charger 26800mAh【2022 Upgrade High Capacity】Power Bank Ultra Compact External Battery Pack Backup with 4 LED Lights,Dual USB High-Speed Charging Compatible with iPhone 13 Samsung Android etc

Regarding the online account, I/we struggled trying to go this direction. We'd start and stop the process many times attempting to do everything online. I'm certain it's a great way to go, it's just not for GCWB.

When we realized matches can be set up on the tablets themselves, stages built, shooters entered, everything became simpler. We use a phone as a hot spot to sync tablets. As of yet we have not had complaints about the screens being difficult to see in the sun. We use a case with a cover and keep the screen covered between shooters, the battery lasts us all day, without issue.

Currently Amazon has the HD 8's for $45 with screen lock ads, $60 without screen lock ads. It's not really a big deal to swipe out of the ad. For the extra $15 I think it's worth the money not have to deal with the screen lock. Our tablets have the ads, I regret not buying them without the ads.

These are the case's we bought, we picked several different color cases to help with us keep them separated between posses . We also bought screen protectors for all the tablets.

https://www.amazon.com/Fire-Tablet-Case-Generation-Release/dp/B08B3BMSNK/ref=sr_1_9?crid=3V98X4Z3W68GG&keywords=hd+8+fire+tablet+case&qid=1668963611&sprefix=hd+8+fire+tablet+%2Caps%2C411&sr=8-9

I haven't yet tried the online feature.  I am the MD for the clubs Cody Dixon matches and use the tablets exclusively for the CD matches. The Cowboy matches are still scored on old ipads using ACES but I know they are switching to either CAS Scoring or Practiscore soon.  

I have Practiscore installed on my Iphone and a Chrome tablet as well. On each device the look is slightly different but not enough to matter. 

This is the style case I bought.  Each tablet is a different color. The device name in Practiscore includes the case color so it is easy to identify when syncing. They are made of a soft rubber with lots of give so that if one is dropped it is very well protected. Does make them a little bulky but the extra protection is worth it.

The device name in Practiscore matches the case color.

71EuNUej-FL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

47 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

I haven't yet tried the online feature.  I am the MD for the clubs Cody Dixon matches and use the tablets exclusively for the CD matches. The Cowboy matches are still scored on old ipads using ACES but I know they are switching to either CAS Scoring or Practiscore soon.  

We've been using Practiscore for the California State WB championships, Western Frontiersman Territorial and monthly Cowboy matches. Anything above a monthly we use paper as well, so we have something to double check if there are issues. Monthly's we just use the tablets.

It's my understanding the the CAS program requires IPads, which are more costly.  

Thanks for the info.  I setup an online account at PractiScore a month ago.  Online is not too bad and I used it along with my iPhone/iPad to test registration import, scoring, and posting match scores.  As webmistress, I needed to make sure it worked and I can integrate it into our website.  I wanted to avoid re-coding of our website's backend for score entry AND "look to the future" if/when I decide to "retire" from managing our club.  Although our management team is a little hesitant to use technology, they voted to try it (I almost always abstain, except to break ties or for safety).

I think I will go with the Fire HD 10 Plus for the master and the Fire HD 8 Plus for the slaves, ALL without Ads.  Now I am TRYING to find some rugged cases.  I am currently looking at Armor-X, but waiting for them to tell me if it includes a screen protector.

https://armor-x.com/products/jln-az-hd10-amazon-fire-hd-10-2021-ultra-3-layers-shockproof-rugged-case-with-hand-strap-and-kick-stand?_pos=3&_fid=4a53dd024&_ss=c

A couple of more questions:

1. Do you use a microSD card to backup the slaves and/or master?
  2. Having never used non-iOS products (I support family and friends with iPhone/iPads), can you save backups on the Fire tablets?
  3. Have you ever used PractiScore for side-matches?

31 minutes ago, Loco Poco Lobo said:

A couple of more questions:

1. Do you use a microSD card to backup the slaves and/or master?
  2. Having never used non-iOS products (I support family and friends with iPhone/iPads), can you save backups on the Fire tablets?
  3. Have you ever used PractiScore for side-matches?

I believe that when you connect them to the internet they back themselves up to the Amazon Cloud. Personally I sync them to each other as well as the master. That way every device has the entire match.

I use it exclusevly for a side match. As the MD for my clubs Cody Dixon matches it was easy to set up. For some of the other side matches you'll have to do a little work but the Hit Factor template can be used for speed matches. If you allow multiple attempts just increase the number of strings. You could also add a number to the shooters alias for each attempt. 

17 hours ago, Abe E.S. Corpus SASS #87667 said:

We use Practiscore on iPads.  Earlier this year we added AMG Bluetooth timers.  We are well pleased with them.

https://www.amg-lab.com/

Curious as to why your club picked the AMG timer.  We will be replacing our old Competition Pro timers this winter and have used the PACT timers but haven't seen the AMG.  You guys see any major difference?  Thanks!

1 hour ago, Redleg Reilly, SASS #46372 said:

Curious as to why your club picked the AMG timer.  We will be replacing our old Competition Pro timers this winter and have used the PACT timers but haven't seen the AMG.  You guys see any major difference?  Thanks!

I don’t so far but I have not tried looking at splits, etc.  The AMG timers run on AA batteries where our old timers used 9 volt batteries.

3 hours ago, Redleg Reilly, SASS #46372 said:

Wolff’s Rowdy Rangers use the AMG timers.  Best feature is the Bluetooth connectivity to the mated tablet.  One press on the tablet transfers the time to the tablet.  Twice I’ve noticed the TO accidentally transposing numbers when announcing the score.   

3 minutes ago, Matthew Duncan said:

Wolff’s Rowdy Rangers use the AMG timers.  Best feature is the Bluetooth connectivity to the mated tablet.  One press on the tablet transfers the time to the tablet.  Twice I’ve noticed the TO accidentally transposing numbers when announcing the score.   

I've done that myself once or twice. The score keeper caught it when I showed them the timer. 

When I score keep I also read back the time I recorded.

I personally HATE trying to print the scores in a format that I like. You know, scores, misses, p's, etc. in one line across the page. I readily admit it could be just that I don't know how to do it, BUT, I can safely say it is NOT User friendly. But, to each his own.

4 hours ago, Max Payne said:

I personally HATE trying to print the scores in a format that I like. You know, scores, misses, p's, etc. in one line across the page. I readily admit it could be just that I don't know how to do it, BUT, I can safely say it is NOT User friendly. But, to each his own.

Gotta agree with Max here.

We moved from Aces to CAS.

Very user friendly,much more so than Practiscore.

We bought good used iPads for $30 something apiece.

If you haven't already committed, look into it.

2 hours ago, Redleg Reilly, SASS #46372 said:

Is there anyway to avoid having to input first/last name and just use the alias?

Just put a single "x" in each blank.  You have to have something there, but it doesn't have to  be a name.

4 hours ago, Redleg Reilly, SASS #46372 said:

Is there anyway to avoid having to input first/last name and just use the alias?

2 hours ago, Chief Rick said:

Just put a single "x" in each blank.  You have to have something there, but it doesn't have to  be a name.

THIS ^

Got it.  I also found a work around.  Have a match template with all your club shooters info then clone it for the match and delete the members not present.  Or x's.......

Figured it out.  The CSV column should be labeled "Checkins" and the data in the cells underneath set to RO for qualified ROs.  You may need to add "RO" on the App under "Shooters/Posse" --> "Match Checkins" .

1 hour ago, Loco Poco Lobo said:

Figured it out.  The CSV column should be labeled "Checkins" and the data in the cells underneath set to RO for qualified ROs.  You may need to add "RO" on the App under "Shooters/Posse" --> "Match Checkins" .

Please email support@practiscore.com with questions, bug reports or enhancement requests.

Archived