SASS Wire Forum

Next Phase of Icons - North Transept

Subdeacon Joe

6 minutes ago, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

Where is this, Joe?

The parish is Protection of the Holy Virgin Mary, the church is St. Seraphim of Sarov Cathedral in Santa Rosa, CA.  For photos of what the iconographers have done so far see:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/sgmworkshop/collections/72157624734590294/  I'm not seeing an album for the inside west wall, but somewhere here I have a thread about it.

Thanks for the update, Joe.  I'm still amazed by all the skills and talents that have gone, and are still going, into this project.  It's something niy often practiced in this day and age....and if it, is it generally remains unknown except to a privileged few.

50 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Thanks for the update, Joe.  I'm still amazed by all the skills and talents that have gone, and are still going, into this project.  It's something niy often practiced in this day and age....and if it, is it generally remains unknown except to a privileged few.

Thank you.  Our parish is truly blessed to be able to do this.  And do it so fast.  I'll post periodic updates.

Fast!  I have pictures or St Isaac’s in Peter.  It spawned a Finnish expression. 

The meticulous and painstakingly detailed work on constructing the St. Isaac's Cathedral took 40 years to complete. This extended construction left an expression in the Finnish language, rakentaa kuin Iisakin kirkkoa ("to build like St. Isaac's Church"), for lengthy and never-ending megaprojects.

It took 40 years to construct after 32 years of planning.

2 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Fast!  I have pictures or St Isaac’s in Peter.  It spawned a Finnish expression. 

It took 40 years to construct after 32 years of planning.

We started the planning, I think, in 1993.  Broke ground in 1996.  And here we are, a solid building, and the icon plan about 2/3 completed.

6 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

The parish is Protection of the Holy Virgin Mary, the church is St. Seraphim of Sarov Cathedral in Santa Rosa, CA.  For photos of what the iconographers have done so far see:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/sgmworkshop/collections/72157624734590294/  I'm not seeing an album for the inside west wall, but somewhere here I have a thread about it.

• 4 weeks later...

Beautiful, Joe. 

Here's our interior dome. The church was built in 1924. The original iconography, particularly in the dome, was the early-20th century not-very-byzantine style common to immigrant Greek churches. The current iconography was done about 15 years ago:

st nicholas greek orthodox church tacoma - Bing images

2 hours ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

Beautiful, Joe. 

Here's our interior dome. The church was built in 1924. The original iconography, particularly in the dome, was the early-20th century not-very-byzantine style common to immigrant Greek churches. The current iconography was done about 15 years ago:

st nicholas greek orthodox church tacoma - Bing images

Gorgeous!  Thanks for posting it.

Archived