SASS Wire Forum

45 Colt options for Traditional Wild Bunch

Johnny Knight

Hi all,

Thought I would toss out a question.  I'm looking to pick up a 1911 for shooting wild bunch in the traditional category.  I want to go with a Colt, just for nostalgia if nothing else.  In looking through the rules, it looks like a Colt Classic model should meet all the requirements, but I didn't know if there are any other models I should be looking at?  Also, are there some generations or model years that are better than others?  Aside from general slicking up the gun, is there anything else I should plan on for shooting wild bunch?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Johnny

In general, a 1911A1 style gun is better than a 1911 style gun, for all the reasons that the gun was modified in the first place.

Within that general provisio, for something "contemporary" look into a Series 70 Government model.   For something a little more nostalgic, a GI 1911A1.   Decent ones that are shootable can be found for an affordable price.  Some of the best of the A1's where the ones made under license from Colt during WW2 by Remington Rand.   Okay, technically not a "Colt" but really very good.   I've got one made in 43, and it's a good gun.   (So's my 1911 made by Colt in 1913, but that's a 1911.)

If I were to get a Series 70, the only thing I'd personally have done is add a lanyard loop.   Being a southpaw, I'd like to add an ambi safety, but it seems that nobody makes one that looks more or less like original equipment any more.  It's all extended, extra wide and other goofy enhancements that just look wrong.   :(

Take it with a grain of salt.

Buy about 8 to 10 quality magazines.

Do NOT go cheap on mags.

If you go with stainless Mags, get one mag that is Blued for when you dump a mag by mistake ...  I'll let those that shoot WB explain ...

Jabez Cowboy

Well ya shoot the required rounds needed to finish the round count for that string, dump that mag clear the gun , load a fresh mag and you are back on track ...

With the right number of rounds in the fresh mag... no need to count...

Some folks call this Odd mag "the dummie" mag, it allows you to correct a mistake without confusion ... most folks only load 3 or 4 rounds in it so it feels and looks different...

Jabez Cowboy

11 minutes ago, Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129 said:

Well ya shoot the required rounds needed to finish the round count for that string, dump that mag clear the gun , load a fresh mag and you are back on track ...

With the right number of rounds in the fresh mag... no need to count...

Some folks call this Odd mag "the dummie" mag, it allows you to correct a mistake without confusion ... most folks only load 3 or 4 rounds in it so it feels and looks different...

Jabez Cowboy

I'm confused.  Why not just grab any other, full, magazine and do the same thing?  I don't see the advantage of the partially loaded "dummie" mag.  I can see myself grabbing the partial magazine instead of a full magazine if I got in a hurry.

Angus, who's thought about it, but never shot in a Wild Bunch match.

I forgot to mention:

I use a Barney fife mag ie mag with 1 round.  This is to complete a shooting string due to an issue leaving you one round short. 
This is very helpful for saving time if you have to change shooting positions but continue with the 1911.  Moving with a round in the chamber will result in a dq if I remember correctly. 

gringo

I asked about magazines several years back on the WB forum and I got a resounding response for Tripp magazines, BTW.

I've had terrible luck with Colt mags and decent service from Kimber mags. Since I have not had a chance to shoot WB in 3 years or so I have not had a chance to try Tripps but I'm working on it.

Yup, ammo. Lots.

Once at Bar 3 shooting WB I did 11 mag changes on one stage.

I loved it.

:D

On 11/19/2022 at 3:31 PM, Johnny Knight said:

Now, time to get a few extra magazines and track down some leather for it.

Joe Brisco at Cowboy Shooters Supply sells a good double magazine leather belt slide for Wild Bunch.

Your current SASS holster works remarkable well for Wild Bunch.

Cheyenne,

Not sure on my Saturday schedule yet, getting ready to head out of country for a few weeks (Unfortunately causing me to miss our TRR match in December).  I won't have the 1911 by the weekend anyways, so would shoot classic if I can make it out.  I've got a stash of 45 ACP to practice with, but they are copper plated, so I'll need to load up some rounds with epoxy coated anyways.

Johnny

Archived