SASS Wire Forum

old henry movie

Tulsey, SASS#11236

I watched a western movie the other night on tv  called Old Henry. It was easy to see it was made on a very low budget,  One of the bad guys was armed with a 1917 revolver long before they were made. A little later a main character came out of a cabin, not with a 66 or 73, or even the often used in westerns a 92, but a Winchester 94 AE / angle eject, They must have used whatever someone happened to have in their personal collection and thought no one would notice. I did.. 

I really liked how the movie started, but it fell apart in the end.

It was also interesting that they owned land and were farming in what was "Indian territorial land" at that time!

I watched a newer western the other day and the guy was using a Henry Big Boy. The plot was about as well thought out.

1 hour ago, Tulsey, SASS#11236 said:

but a Winchester 94 AE / angle eject,

Not just an angle eject, but has the crossbolt safety AND an Uncle Mike's quick detachable sling swivel base on the mag tube.

1665654533_TimBlakeNelsonOldHenry.jpg.1b88cfb28199b7f38f3c2824efb4a1f1.jpg

The setting of the movie was the early 1900s.  It is somewhere around 20 years after the Lincoln County War. The plot line says 1906!!

It IS a fantasy movie.  If it isn’t evident to everyone, “Henry McCarty” is one of William Billy the Kid’ Bonney’s aliases.

I didn’t get that close of a look at the revolver with the swing out cylinder, but I’m thinking it could have been an 1889 Colt or a representation of one!

It wasn’t all that low budget a movie!  I enjoyed it thoroughly and have it DVRed.

What Blackwater said. A revisionist but well told story. Enjoyable. The actor who plays the main character did a great job. I'll overlook the few firearms mistakes and the double strongside drop holster worn by one of the antagonists in favor a the story told.

Not so much however with some other movies.

I actually thought it was one of the better “modern” westerns I’ve seen. The 94 is definitely a problem but the gunfights are pretty good. Not many westerns show reloads like this one . With a few improvements this movie could have went from good to great. 

I can let the angle eject ‘94 slide. I didn’t notice it until I watched the movie a second, (or maybe it was the third) time.  ‘94s were common by 1906 as were double action revolvers with swing out cylinders.  For that matter,  some dandy might easily have adopted a drop holster rig. They were known to exist by that time.

What I might find less believable is that it’s 1906 and not a single horseless carriage appears anywhere in the movie!

4 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

I can let the angle eject ‘94 slide. I didn’t notice it until I watched the movie a second, (or maybe it was the third) time.  ‘94s were common by 1906 as were double action revolvers with swing out cylinders.  For that matter,  some dandy might easily have adopted a drop holster rig. They were known to exist by that time.

What I might find less believable is that it’s 1906 and not a single horseless carriage appears anywhere in the movie!

Seems to me that the rifle in question should have been…

wait for it…

A Henry.

:D

On 11/19/2022 at 1:38 PM, Dantankerous said:

Seems to me that the rifle in question should have been…

A Henry.

I actually was expecting the movie to be about an Old Henry Rifle.

My God, so many anachronisms. That house was likely made with mill cut lumber and doesn’t have square cut nails, and that chair was made with machine turned legs, I bet the seat was not even hand carved and the glue was Elmer’s instead of hide.

and I bet he used a beard trimmer.

Picky, Picky Picky!

I see these errors and anomalies, but I also recall my childhood of Roy Rogers movies and Andy Devine driving "Clarabelle" his Jeep in those dusters.

That said, it is nice when folks like Tom Selleck insist on something more authentic to the period.  

That was Pat Brady, and his Jeep was Nellybelle.

But the Roy Rogers show was not taking place in 1880. It was taking place in modern time, which would be the early 1950s.

https://gazette.com/arts-entertainment/a-look-back-in-colorado-springs-roy-rogers-sidekick-pat-brady-and-his-jeep-nellybelle/article_f2176f20-9a49-11ea-aac5-f735786ca012.html

17 hours ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

Picky, Picky Picky!

I see these errors and anomalies, but I also recall my childhood of Roy Rogers movies and Andy Devine driving "Clarabelle" his Jeep in those dusters.

That said, it is nice when folks like Tom Selleck insist on something more authentic to the period.  

I agree on the period thing.  Like I said, the period was 1906 for Old Henry. Most of the guns were right for the time. I didn’t notice that the ‘94 was an angle eject model unti the third or fourth time I watched it, so I can easily give that a pass. That he was using the ‘94 spoke to the passage of time.

It kinda’ says that McCarty hadn’t let the times pass him by without trying to keep up.

Archived