SASS Wire Forum

WTB Smith & Wesson 500 8 3/8 BBL.

These are a beast. I love these big bore guns. Beautifully obscene. Or maybe obscenely beautiful? I have a BFR in 500 JRH to satisfy my revolver 50 cal needs but these Smiths are soooo sweet. :D Ammo much more available for the Smith 500 as well PLUS a fella can get a levergun in 500 Smith to make the perfect pair. ;)

5 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

These are a beast. I love these big bore guns. Beautifully obscene. Or maybe obscenely beautiful? I have a BFR in 500 JRH to satisfy my revolver 50 cal needs but these Smiths are soooo sweet. :D Ammo much more available for the Smith 500 as well PLUS a fella can get a levergun in 500 Smith to make the perfect pair. ;)

The "over 45 club" has a different meaning in the gun world. :D

Not a JRH, but Magnum Research actually beat S&W to market with a .500 S&W mag revolver, as they already had a suitable platform for it in their BFR, and S&W was still developing the X-Frame. :lol:

In addition to these two .500's, I've also got a .50 AE Desert Eagle, a Freedom Arms .500 Wyoming Express/.50 AE convertible, a custom .475 Linebaugh built by Ben Forkin, a SBH .480 Ruger, and a BFR .45-70/.450 Marlin convertible. I don't know if anyone makes .500 Wyoming Express brass anymore - the last price I can find is $4.45 each. I had a shooter who kept pestering me about the .500 WE revolver a year back and so I finally quoted him a price. He thought about it and said, "Toss in the new brass & dies, and you've got a deal"... yeah... 500 new cases times $4.45 ea = $2225.00... I don't think so. <_<

Three Foot,

A very impressive collection there. Some of those are definitely on my wish list. :D  There is certainly something beyond exciting about shooting these big bore handguns and I absolutely love it. 44 mag is tame compared to some of these. 

Several years back I found a Smith and Wesson X model in .460 with the shorter barrel like you picture. It felt pretty darn good in my hand but sadly I was out of state and could not take possession at the time so I left it in the dealer's case. This was slightly before the pandemic and the dealer even had copious amounts of ammo for that beast. I was carrying a Ruger flat top 44 Special at the time and although I love that gun it sure felt like a pea shooter compared to that .460. :o

On 11/17/2022 at 10:43 PM, Three Foot Johnson said:

I've got one, and can't really imagine ever shooting it again - that phase of my life is over. :mellow: I'll send you a PM. 

500 001.jpg

What scope did you find that could take that beating?

Archived