SASS Wire Forum

Thirty-Two Years Ago Today

DocWard

32 years ago today a series of events unfolded that if penned by Shakespeare might have been titled Much Ado About... What The Actual.... Just Happened? The story would have picked up the night before to set the stage, and continued at least into the morning after. The cast of characters made for very interesting, often unbelievably humorous vignettes given the seriousness of the concerns for the immediate future. Desert Storm was in full swing, and I received word at 10:00 a.m. that I was joining the march.

The most important part of the story, though, is that 32 years ago today, the beautiful woman on my arm in the picture said "I do." All these years later she remains beautiful, and I remain in disbelief at how lucky I am to have her as my bride.

image.thumb.jpeg.b6ca5449826a49807097b58348b07d47.jpeg

Doc, Congratulations to you and your lovely wife. It’s very obvious from that photo that you were both happy that day. May that same happiness always be with you both when you are together. 

26 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Doc, Congratulations to you and your lovely wife. It’s very obvious from that photo that you were both happy that day. May that same happiness always be with you both when you are together. 

Thank you, Sir. I am still amazed, all these years later at my dumb luck that she said "I will," then "I do." I don't think she is going to get rid of me at this point, so I think I'm safe. My hope is that after another thirty-two years we're one of those old couples that some people think of as "adorably cute together," and others think are just annoying.

Edit: I should add while the smiles are genuine, they hid some genuine fears of an unknown future as we awaited the coming days, weeks and months and what it would bring for me in uniform.

21 minutes ago, DocWard said:

Edit: I should add while the smiles are genuine, they hid some genuine fears of an unknown future as we awaited the coming days, weeks and months and what it would bring for me in uniform.

I do understand. Thankfully you’re both here in the now. :)

You made it through.

Enjoy your lives together and treasure each moment.

Happy Anniversary to you both.

Archived