SASS Wire Forum

Walked Into A BAR

Subdeacon Joe

But vy dit I have to clime into zis vindow?

So the photographer can get an action shot, Fritz. 

The young man does not appear to have any spare ammunition.

He does have ammunition pouches around his waist, but the pouches don't look big enough for that BAR.  Appears to be standard Garand ammo belt.

59 minutes ago, Alpo said:

The young man does not appear to have any spare ammunition.

He does have ammunition pouches around his waist, but the pouches don't look big enough for that BAR.  Appears to be standard Garand ammo belt.

How many more rounds does he need than the 20 in the BAR's magazine?

Yes he has an en bloc cartridge belt, not a BAR belt. And no field suspenders. I suspect it’s a staged pic. The German is probably genuine and nervously wondering what’s going to happen next. But he’s not about to try anything as there’s probably a squad standing right next to the photographer. 

40 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Yes he has an en bloc cartridge belt, not a BAR belt. And no field suspenders. I suspect it’s a staged pic. The German is probably genuine and nervously wondering what’s going to happen next. But he’s not about to try anything as there’s probably a squad standing right next to the photographer. 

I found this on Wikicommons:

"Finally, I got me a `souvenir.' Somehow the Jerries I got in my sights always seemed to have bad luck. Then one day in Illy, France, I spotted an officer inside a battered building and I yelled for him to come on out. He did."   (Wikidata search (Cirrus search) Wikidata query (SPARQL)  Create new Wikidata item based on this file)
Author
Unknown author or not provided
Record creator Office for Emergency Management. Office of War Information. Overseas Operations Branch. New York Office. News and Features Bureau. (12/17/1942 - 09/15/1945)
Title
"Finally, I got me a `souvenir.' Somehow the Jerries I got in my sights always seemed to have bad luck. Then one day in Illy, France, I spotted an officer inside a battered building and I yelled for him to come on out. He did."
Description
  • General notes: Use War and Conflict Number 1053 when ordering a reproduction or requesting information about this image.
Date circa September 1944
Collection Still Picture Records Section, Special Media Archives Services Division (NWCS-S)
Record ID

NARA Logo created 2010.svg
This media is available in the holdings of the National Archives and Records Administration, cataloged under the National Archives Identifier (NAID) 535974.

This tag does not indicate the copyright status of the attached work. A normal copyright tag is still required. See Commons:Licensing.

العربية  Deutsch  English  español  français  italiano  日本語  한국어  македонски  മലയാളം  Nederlands  polski  português  русский  slovenščina  Türkçe  українська  Tiếng Việt  中文(简体)  中文(繁體)  +/−

• Record group: Record Group 208: Records of the Office of War Information, 1926 - 1951 (National Archives Identifier: 535)
  • Series: Yanks in the ETO, compiled 1941 - 1945 (National Archives Identifier: 535969)
  • NAIL Control Number: NWDNS-208-YE-54
  • 208-YE-54
Source U.S. National Archives and Records Administration
Other versions

Please do not overwrite this file: any restoration work should be uploaded with a new name and linked in this page's "other versions=" parameter, so that this file represents the exact file found in the NARA catalog record to which it links. The metadata on this page was imported directly from NARA's catalog record; additional descriptive text may be added by Wikimedians to the template below with the "description=" parameter, but please do not modify the other fields.
(Note: Editors who post this notice are strongly encouraged to add details explaining how it applies to this file.)

From that my WAG is that it was restaged for the camera.  

4 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

I found this on Wikicommons:

"Finally, I got me a `souvenir.' Somehow the Jerries I got in my sights always seemed to have bad luck. Then one day in Illy, France, I spotted an officer inside a battered building and I yelled for him to come on out. He did."   (Wikidata search (Cirrus search) Wikidata query (SPARQL)  Create new Wikidata item based on this file)
Author
Unknown author or not provided
Record creator Office for Emergency Management. Office of War Information. Overseas Operations Branch. New York Office. News and Features Bureau. (12/17/1942 - 09/15/1945)
Title
"Finally, I got me a `souvenir.' Somehow the Jerries I got in my sights always seemed to have bad luck. Then one day in Illy, France, I spotted an officer inside a battered building and I yelled for him to come on out. He did."
Description
  • General notes: Use War and Conflict Number 1053 when ordering a reproduction or requesting information about this image.
Date circa September 1944
Collection Still Picture Records Section, Special Media Archives Services Division (NWCS-S)
Record ID

NARA Logo created 2010.svg
This media is available in the holdings of the National Archives and Records Administration, cataloged under the National Archives Identifier (NAID) 535974.

This tag does not indicate the copyright status of the attached work. A normal copyright tag is still required. See Commons:Licensing.

العربية  Deutsch  English  español  français  italiano  日本語  한국어  македонски  മലയാളം  Nederlands  polski  português  русский  slovenščina  Türkçe  українська  Tiếng Việt  中文(简体)  中文(繁體)  +/−

• Record group: Record Group 208: Records of the Office of War Information, 1926 - 1951 (National Archives Identifier: 535)
  • Series: Yanks in the ETO, compiled 1941 - 1945 (National Archives Identifier: 535969)
  • NAIL Control Number: NWDNS-208-YE-54
  • 208-YE-54
Source U.S. National Archives and Records Administration
Other versions

Please do not overwrite this file: any restoration work should be uploaded with a new name and linked in this page's "other versions=" parameter, so that this file represents the exact file found in the NARA catalog record to which it links. The metadata on this page was imported directly from NARA's catalog record; additional descriptive text may be added by Wikimedians to the template below with the "description=" parameter, but please do not modify the other fields.
(Note: Editors who post this notice are strongly encouraged to add details explaining how it applies to this file.)

From that my WAG is that it was restaged for the camera.  

OR THE PHOTOGRAPHER WROTE IT HIMSELF. ;)

Archived