SASS Wire Forum

Options for DB shotgun.

PV rider

Hey folks,

brand new!

I'm sure this has been brought up many times! just can;t seem to find the right sticky, etc. I would prefer a DB shotgun. Stoeger's are very rare for me to find in my region. Any suggestions on alternatives are appreciated! I am fine with upgrading at a later date. 

If Stoegers are hard to find locally you probably don't have many alternative options for SxS.  Might need to try and pick up a used one from a SASS member at a local club. 

Another option is to buy one on Gunbroker and have it shipped to your local FFL.  Older SKB and Browning BSS shotguns can be tuned to be very nice SxS for this sport, but unfortunately neither are made any more and the prices are really climbing.  No SxS out of the box will be race ready for SASS, but just about any SxS with extractors will work to get you started.

When you are ready for a slicked up SxS I would recommend buying an already tuned one either locally from a club member or directly from a gunsmith that has a tuned one on hand.  Longhunter is the first gunsmith that comes to mind that tries to keep and inventory of already tuned guns available for shipping, but I am sure others will chime in with other smiths they can recommend.  

https://www.longhunt.com/web/index.php?page=firearms

42 minutes ago, PV rider said:

Hey folks,

brand new!

I'm sure this has been brought up many times! just can;t seem to find the right sticky, etc. I would prefer a DB shotgun. Stoeger's are very rare for me to find in my region. Any suggestions on alternatives are appreciated! I am fine with upgrading at a later date. 

I'll note that Stoegers are made in Brazil and supply MAY still be impacted due to Covid.

Some questions that might lead you in the right direction:

Do you plan on going fast and/or otherwise be competitive?

Do you plan on shooting black powder?

What sort of budget do you have?

As already mentioned the SKB & BSS are getting hard to find and the prices are going up fast

Stoegers and Stevens 311's  have a mixed reputation for long term durability, especially used to go fast

Russian made shotguns are durable, b ut I am not sure they are being imported in the US anymore.

CZ sold (built in Turkey) shotguns are still fairly new to the sport, so long term durability remains to be seen.  I have the entry level Bobwhite G2, the build quality certainly seems better than a Stoeger or 311, but it is stiff new out of the box and the splinter forend on a G2 doesn't do a good job protecting the hand from a hot barrel when using black powder.  CZ also has a pretty good reputation when it comes to customer service and fixing a gun IF it breaks.  That is why I recommend the CZ over the other Turkish build shotguns being imported to the US.

Pretty much everything else should probably be avoided.  Most of the economy doubles made back in the 1960's pr before were never intended to handle  the were and tear of cowboy shooting and replacement parts will be hard to find or costly to have made, which also applies to any antique shotguns as well.

My opinion, based the comments I've made, is a CZ bought from one of the cowboy gunsmiths with an action job already done.

AyA are high quality doubles. I have been shooting one. in 10 gauge 3-1/2" with wart hog loads of Holy black for forty years with no problems.

Thanks folks!

This gives me a place start looking.

12 hours ago, Chantry said:

I'll note that Stoegers are made in Brazil and supply MAY still be impacted due to Covid.

Some questions that might lead you in the right direction:

Do you plan on going fast and/or otherwise be competitive?

Do you plan on shooting black powder?

What sort of budget do you have?

As already mentioned the SKB & BSS are getting hard to find and the prices are going up fast

Stoegers and Stevens 311's  have a mixed reputation for long term durability, especially used to go fast

Russian made shotguns are durable, b ut I am not sure they are being imported in the US anymore.

CZ sold (built in Turkey) shotguns are still fairly new to the sport, so long term durability remains to be seen.  I have the entry level Bobwhite G2, the build quality certainly seems better than a Stoeger or 311, but it is stiff new out of the box and the splinter forend on a G2 doesn't do a good job protecting the hand from a hot barrel when using black powder.  CZ also has a pretty good reputation when it comes to customer service and fixing a gun IF it breaks.  That is why I recommend the CZ over the other Turkish build shotguns being imported to the US.

Pretty much everything else should probably be avoided.  Most of the economy doubles made back in the 1960's pr before were never intended to handle  the were and tear of cowboy shooting and replacement parts will be hard to find or costly to have made, which also applies to any antique shotguns as well.

My opinion, based the comments I've made, is a CZ bought from one of the cowboy gunsmiths with an action job already done.

I will likely be more competative over time, it would make sense to me budget for such. Not sure that that is as of now but, if it takes a little longer to aquire to rigth SG, willing to wait. 

Thank you. 

Ask your family, friends, co-workers, etc..

There are many decent double guns and 97s sitting in closets or safes, completely forgotten.

A Steven's 311 or Fox B was a starting gun for many cowboys.

Winchester Model 24, think a Less Fancy Winchester USA made Double ....

I have Huglu Cowboy Comp Hammered Double ...

Older LC Smith guns !

Jabez Cowboy 

Buy something on Gunbroker, then find an FFL in MA to do the transfer for you.

https://www.gunbroker.com/ffl/index

Stoeger's Website shows 7 Stoeger dealers within 90 miles of you.

https://stoegerindustries.com/find-a-stoeger-dealer?zip=01451

There was someone on a Facebook SASS page yesterday looking for "brass shotshells" - I explained how to search for them, but said I wasn't going to do it for him, and they about crucified me for being "rude", so I hope you can excuse me not calling all these places and checking inventory for you. :mellow:

On 11/17/2022 at 5:53 PM, PV rider said:

Hey folks,

brand new!

Welcome!

I've found the best selection of used shotguns in the area to be at Kittery Trading Post; they have a couple of CZs now, as well as a few others (but no Stoegers).  Other local dealers are largely hit-or-miss; you just have to haunt their websites and stores, and hope to find what you are looking for.  I ordered my CZ through Four Seasons in Woburn, but this was several years ago when dealers could still order guns and expect a reasonable delivery date.  I'd still call the owner (Carl) and see if he can do anything for you.  Very helpful fellow.

LL

If your looking for a really good SASS sxs call longhunter and order a CZ, I have one I bought and did the work on and a second one that I bought from Longhunter, I love these guns, there light, fast, point well, single trigger, and they even look nice, If you check local matches I bet you will find someone shooting one and can probably even get to try it out, I hate to compare guns but my old stoeger felt like a club compared to the CZ

On 11/19/2022 at 3:12 AM, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

Welcome!

I've found the best selection of used shotguns in the area to be at Kittery Trading Post; they have a couple of CZs now, as well as a few others (but no Stoegers).  Other local dealers are largely hit-or-miss; you just have to haunt their websites and stores, and hope to find what you are looking for.  I ordered my CZ through Four Seasons in Woburn, but this was several years ago when dealers could still order guns and expect a reasonable delivery date.  I'd still call the owner (Carl) and see if he can do anything for you.  Very helpful fellow.

LL

Thank you Loophole! I;ll give tese folks ac all. Much appreciated! 

Might want to check with Johnny Meadows as well, he may have what you want in stock.

Archived