SASS Wire Forum

CZ Sharp-Tail SxS 12ga

The Original Lumpy Gritz

A beautiful gun, great fit and finish, but stiff and tough to cock.  Sent it back to CZ and they very kindly smoothed it up a bit.  IMO for general use, excellent, but if you want to be competitive, you'll need to get it slicked up. I have always had great guns from CZ and service as well.  No regrets on the purchase.

I can confirm what Rip Snorter says about the stiffness. The CZ is not a good option for CAS unless you slick it up.  Out of the box you have to break it open over your knee.  Slicked up by Long Hunter and it is fantastic.

I got one of Longhunters and had it for most of this past season. Fantastic action job by Longhunter.  I bought one because I really wanted a single, mechanical trigger, and I really like it.  Would highly recommend one.

I have one from Longhunter and it's a great gun. Only problem I have had with it is, putting the safety on by accident shucking shells. I'm going to talk to a local gunsmith to see if he can correct this.

31 minutes ago, Uncle Ethan # 94321 said:

I have one from Longhunter and it's a great gun. Only problem I have had with it is, putting the safety on by accident shucking shells. I'm going to talk to a local gunsmith to see if he can correct this.

I would call Long Hunter.

Could you be hitting it with your hand, maybe?

I have had a longhunter one for over 2 years.  Great gun and longhunter does a great job slicking them up. 

I have one from Long Hunter they are a nice light shotgun I went from an 87 to this and it takes a little learning to get used to I only shot it in one match as our season is over .

Woodfox

I bought one a few years ago and slicked it up myself, it was a bit of a job and CZ won’t supply you new hammer springs so I had to spend a lot of time finding different springs and a lot of time polishing various parts and shortening the stock to add the recoil pad, in the end I loved it so much I bought a backup gun from long hunter, it cost me $200 more from longhunter to have all the work done and after I figured in my parts probably less than $100 more, buy the gun from longhunter your going to love it !

My Longhunter tuned Sharptail is rock solid reliable for 28+ local area matches a year plus multiple annual, regional and larger events for going on 3 years now. The mechanical trigger is crisp and and it resets quicker than my mechanical SKB that has become backup:o

Having always shot mid bead shotguns, I did add a small ivory colored mid bead to satisfy myself!;)

I just bought a CZ hammerless shotgun and shot it this past weekend at my local match. It has not been slicked up, so shooting it stock out of the box was a challenge and of course my SG and stage times really suffered. I will ultimately get it slicked up, but I was really pumped to shoot it.

As for the CZ, it is a beautifully made gun, all metal parts are CNC machined for tight tolerances thus the moving parts are tight and it's hard to break open to cock it. Subtle engraving and very nice Turkish walnut make it really stand out from my Stoeger. I love the single trigger, and the fact that you can select which barrel you want to shoot first. This winter when it gets too cold to shoot up here in the Arizona high desert, I'll contact either LongHunter or Johnny Meadows and have one of them slick it up, (Johnny Meadows slicked up my Stoeger). I love my CZ and it will be my go-to SxS.

23 hours ago, WOODFOX , sass#34179 said:

I have one from Long Hunter they are a nice light shotgun I went from an 87 to this and it takes a little learning to get used to I only shot it in one match as our season is over .

Woodfox

I too shoot a '87 lever built buy Coyote Cap. 

At 71 years of age, any change is challenging.  :lol:

Many thanks to all that have replied! ;)

Think'n my wallet is gonna get a good bit lighter real soon.....^_^

4 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

I too shoot a '87 lever built buy Coyote Cap. 

At 71 years of age, any change is challenging.  :lol:

Many thanks to all that have replied! ;)

Think'n my wallet is gonna get a good bit lighter real soon.....^_^

Hey Lumpy your just a kid I'm 75 and got bad knees and dealing with Prostate cancer but looks like I beat the cancer getting a new knee next week . I love my 87 but needed a change so I bought the Sharptail you will like it .

4 hours ago, WOODFOX , sass#34179 said:

Hey Lumpy your just a kid I'm 75 and got bad knees and dealing with Prostate cancer but looks like I beat the cancer getting a new knee next week . I love my 87 but needed a change so I bought the Sharptail you will like it .

Sure don't feel like a kid :lol:

Same thoughts I had about the SxS change over.

My LH CZ doesn’t load as easy as my BSS from Briscoe Kid.  The left shell hangs up on the edge of the chamber.  May have to send it back at some time.  Can’t find a Briscoe BSS for a backup, so it will do for now.

The gun is beautiful. Great fit up.  Almost too pretty to use for our game.  Good shotgun. The one comment above is my only negative.  

I was about to ask the same question. SKB’s and Brownings are

pricey and hard to find. I was wondering g about Long Hunter’s that are already slicked up. Price seems to be reasonable for the shotgun plus his hand work. 

15 hours ago, runs with scissors said:

l actually believe Griner Gunworks does them for Longhunter.

5 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Really?

How did you come to this conclusion? 

I do not do work for Longhunter..just sayin..

5 hours ago, Red Rider Rudy said:

For those that have a Longhunter tuned one. How much does he chamber the barrels?  

Thanks R.R.R.

If your asking about the chambers this is a Longhunter sharptail

IMG_2759.jpg

1 hour ago, WOODFOX , sass#34179 said:

If your asking about the chambers this is a Longhunter sharptail

IMG_2759.jpg

Looks just like mine.

1 hour ago, Long Hunter SASS #20389L said:

Absolutely false. "You actually believe"??? Please don't post something you know nothing about.

Thank you

Sorry been out shootin and off of the wire. 

I did not state it as a fact, thats why I said "I believe".  It was what I had thought, and I stand corrected. 

Just so all know, I own a Longhunter CZ and love it.

Runs With Scissors

Heck I love anything that has been sold by or worked on by Long Hunter, always a safe bet when your looking for a great CAS firearm! 

We have a CAS ready CZ Sharptail  as a raffle prize in our upcoming annual in December. Ima gonna put a few tickets in that bucket! 

we do have a few slots left if any of you Yankees want to come down and shoot “The Gunfight at Gamble Gulch” let me know. Dec 9-11

12/9 Plaisman, WB, Long Range

12/10 5 stages, lunch “fun” side matches

12/11 5 stages, lunch & awards & Raffle! 3 guns, lots of other nice items. 

There was another post from Griner, I like the way he modifies the extractor and fills in the hole. Just me!

Archived