SASS Wire Forum

Need some metal work done.

Forty  Rod SASS 3935

27 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I have designed a gadget and have no one who can / will attempt to make it for me.  Anyone up for a challenge?

gun.slick@juno.com

A bit too vague.  Is it bigger than a bread-box?

Have welder and access to machinery.

Basically, a loading device similar to a speed strip?  Something you could thumb cartridges into a cylinder on a wheel gun, that could be carried in a pocket on a vest or your trousers?

Perzackly!

I don't like speed loaders (too bulky) or speed strips (too awkward) and this could be a one at a time, much faster alternative.  Just put it up there and thumb in six rounds one at a time.  It would fit snug against your body in a thin rigid pouch.  If you have an S&W you could put five rounds in the thing.

It can be made thinner than a speed loader and probably thinner that a speed strip.

You could make it a little longer and carry two complete reloads in one device! Wouldn’t have to be twice as long because you can just use a longer spring.

If a .38 Super magazine was a little longer front to back, it might be ready made for this.  You’d want to lighten the spring a little to facilitate easier dispensing.

1 hour ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Perzackly!

I don't like speed loaders (too bulky) or speed strips (too awkward) and this could be a one at a time, much faster alternative.  Just put it up there and thumb in six rounds one at a time.  It would fit snug against your body in a thin rigid pouch.  If you have an S&W you could put five rounds in the thing.

It can be made thinner than a speed loader and probably thinner that a speed strip.

You want a PEZ dispenser for cartridges!  

Maybe a magazine for a  Desert Eagle or Coonan pistol , both semi-automatic pistols chambered in .357 .

Looks like Coonan was discontinued years ago. 

free bump

3 hours ago, Earl Brasse, SASS #3562 said:

Maybe a magazine for a  Desert Eagle or Coonan pistol , both semi-automatic pistols chambered in .357 .

Looks like Coonan was discontinued years ago. 

free bump

S&W model 52 was also chambered for .38 special.

Their mags and the Coonan mags are available on Etsy and other sites, but starting at well over $150.

2 minutes ago, ShadowCatcher said:

Their mags and the Coonan mags are available on Etsy and other sites, but starting at well over $150.

The 52 mags are configured for flush seated wadcutters, which would be fine for self defense, but difficult to load quickly in a revolver cylinder.  I suppose a 38 Special shortened might work.

It does give me an idea for my own cary revolver! 

I have a couple of Para Ordnance 10 round mags for my double stack 1911s.  I could load up some .45 Cowboy Special rounds in those magazines and use them with my Taurus 450 five shot snubby. It’s chambered in .45 Colt!

I may try that this evening while I’m watching the ballgame!

8 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

It does give me an idea for my own cary revolver! 

I have a couple of Para Ordnance 10 round mags for my double stack 1911s.  I could load up some .45 Cowboy Special rounds in those magazines and use them with my Taurus 450 five shot snubby. It’s chambered in .45 Colt!

I may try that this evening while I’m watching the ballgame!

I was thinking of the Cowboy Special (which I do not load) when I mentioned a 38 special shortened.  Folks with 45 ACP revolvers, esp SAA have used regular 45 ACP mags as speed loaders.

7 hours ago, ShadowCatcher said:

The S&W won't take a full length .38 Special.  I was only long enough for fully seated wadcutters.

On 11/17/2022 at 10:07 AM, Blackwater 53393 said:

You could make it a little longer and carry two complete reloads in one device! Wouldn’t have to be twice as long because you can just use a longer spring.

If a .38 Super magazine was a little longer front to back, it might be ready made for this.  You’d want to lighten the spring a little to facilitate easier dispensing.

Six rounds is enough.  Anything longer will get in the way.  Druther carry several 6 rounders.  Them I could spread out and carry them more conveniently and spread the weight around, too.

I also see no need for cutouts for the latch, but a lip on the bottom front to make orienting the front and back, and "witness holes" would be welcome. 

Going for maximum minimalism and bulk...if that make sense.

Archived